//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 83 200x / 85 350x

--

83 200x / 85 350x

New to the site, and just completed going through an 83 200X. machine is in very good shape and only needed the usual maintenance to get it up to speed. Ive been bitten by the three wheeler bug so I took the plunge into an 85 350X. This machine is also in very good shape and just needs the basic maintenance to get it top notch. The thing I notice between the two is the availability of parts. The 350X doesn't seem to have the support the 200X has. I pretty much found everything needed from Honda, with some aftermarket, but my main hang up now with the 350X are the tapered wheel inserts and lug nuts. When I got the machine the prior owner had hardware store bolts holding the rear wheels on and its missing the inserts. Anyone know where to find them?????

--
    They only come with them rims. Without them the rims are scrap

--
    so they cannot be replaced???

--
    Just use some 400EX or 450R wheels.

--
    should I look for aftermarket EX or 450R wheels, or do I need to look for originals? Are the tapered inserts for the 350X wheels hard to get? Id like to replace the tires anyway, so new wheels aren't that big of deal.

--
    A lot of people throw on 450R rear hubs because it makes the stance wider (more stable but worse for turning). Personally I love the stock width on the 3 wheelers, I tried 1.5in spacers on each side once and it felt horrible to me. I ride hard though and push the limits a bit and my skill level. I'm not sure how the 400ex hubs are vs stock. A lot of Honda rear hubs will likely interchange, at least that's true for most 3 wheelers besides the shaft drive models with the axle tubes.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin c View Post
    should I look for aftermarket EX or 450R wheels, or do I need to look for originals? Are the tapered inserts for the 350X wheels hard to get? Id like to replace the tires anyway, so new wheels aren't that big of deal.
    Yeah the inserts are hard to get. Cheetah makes some nice tires that resemble the originals. Check them out http://www.hpcheetahtires.com
    • 1985 Honda 250SX
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1986 Honda 250R

“I Love The 350x. It’s So Bad”

My Feedback Link!

Arky-X is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
    A lot of people throw on 450R rear hubs because it makes the stance wider (more stable but worse for turning). Personally I love the stock width on the 3 wheelers, I tried 1.5in spacers on each side once and it felt horrible to me. I ride hard though and push the limits a bit and my skill level. I'm not sure how the 400ex hubs are vs stock. A lot of Honda rear hubs will likely interchange, at least that's true for most 3 wheelers besides the shaft drive models with the axle tubes.
    350X and certain year 250Rs are different hubs than the rest......25 spline vs 24 spline
    The 450R and 400ex hubs on a 200x should work.

Wheels are same bolt pattern (350X, 250R, 200X, 450R, 400ex, 250X, 300ex.......at least the sport ones are.) So you could just get wheels from any of those.

--
    Ok, crisis averted, I look the rear wheels over today and they DO have the inserts. I am just missing the tapered lug nuts. The hardware store bolts, nuts and flat washers threw me off and I must have looked at the backside of the wheel. Id like to keep the original stance and width, but I will look into the cheetah tires.

--
    Some aftermarket rims take the flat style nuts (washers help widen the contact surface, aka better rim support), the stock ones take the acorn style lug nuts I'm pretty sure.

You can still buy the OEM lug nuts from any Honda dealership. Partzilla doesn't have a great photo but here's the listing to see the price and such. Studs are listed for the hubs as well. Front and rear both use the same part number of lug nut, at least that's true for the 85 350x that I'm using to look this up.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/ho...acce7a3df70e6d

--
    got it, thanks!

--
    Excellent - glad the inserts are there.

On a side/related note.
    Currently, my knobbies (1 set each for both my 250R and 350X) are mounted on OEM rims configured for tapered lug nuts.

I also have paddles for both on aftermarket wheels not set up for tapered lugs - just normal holes.
    When I run the paddles, I use nylock nuts and flat washers. I've also used the OEM tapered lug nuts flipped over so the flat side is against the wheel or washers, but the nylocks make me feel better after nearly losing a wheel on my T3 at Gordon's Well (hint - don't use serrated flange nuts on aluminum rims).

--
    FYI on aluminum rims, for the automotive world when you take aluminum rims off and reinstall at torque specs, in 50 miles the torque is soposted to be rechecked since they tend to loosen up. After that it's normally good to go. I'd assume atv rims are similar. New rims are the worst for this effect. If there's steel inserts or steel rims, then it's just torque once and you're done. Kind of the same logic as re torquing head bolts on a head gasket job.

--
    They only come with them rims. Without them the rims are scrap

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin c View Post
    so they cannot be replaced???
    2nd time ill tell you the inserts only come pressed into the rims, if your missing one buy a new rim. If not buy a stonger aftermarket rim. Ive not had luck with OEM rolled edge rims. Anything 4x110 bolts on. which is about everything now days but yamaha sport models yet.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //