//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Hello All

--

Hello All

Hello All,

Recently got back into the game. Bought a 84 Yamaha YTM 200e off marketplace for $300 and it has turned out to be a great wheeler. Had a leak in the clutch cover gasket and a slow leak in one of the rear tires. Also had to give the shifter assembly some TLC as it wasnt springing back into place. Last Sunday I had a friend give me a 84 Honda ATC 200s, 83 Honda ATC 70 and a 83 Suzuki ALT Trail Buddy 50. They have been sitting in his garage for 15 years and he wanted them gone. I have the ATC 70 and the Trail Buddy up and running great. So I went from zero to 4 in about 3 weeks. Wife is a bit overwhelmed. Anyway, the plan is to get them up to the cabin in the UP of Michigan (Curtis, MI) and have a bunch of fun. I assume I will need to go through each and replace crank seals, etc. I also have 4 old school snowmobiles, 79 440 Invader, 80 340 Invader, 85 Yamaha XLV and a 84 Ski-Doo Citation SS. Hope to learn a bunch here.
    Last edited by neworiginal; 06-05-2019 at 05:13 PM.

--
    90 nickolson Bored and Stroked "The Good"

Big Bore 110 Pauter frame "The Bad"

90 Bored and Stroked “vey’s frame” "The Ugly"

110 JSC frame Bored and Stroked
    flat track build. “Shop trike”

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

--
    Here are a few pics of the herd. Cleaned up/tuned up and replaced a few stickers on the 70 and started on the trail buddy. Need a front fender but that seems common but not common to find.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190530_212921.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	258790

Name:	20190605_201259.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	258791

Name:	20190604_150824.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	975.6 KB 
ID:	258792

Name:	20190601_174245.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	3.03 MB 
ID:	258793
    Last edited by neworiginal; 06-06-2019 at 09:00 AM.

--
    For the most part, I don't think you'd have to worry about crank seals too much on a honda, mainly since there is no crank seal =D. The crank is bathed in oil, bearings are open style. The side covers would effectively be where the oil leak would be at, so if there's no sign of oil, you should be good for the 4 strokes.

Looks like an amazing score for free, all 4 machines look to be complete and in pretty nice shape. All my machines I paid for and most look worse than yours lol.

If you want to make a shorter trip, in my area there's some pretty good riding area, not as vast and huge as the UP though. Check out the state land trails around Gladwin area in Grim town ship on the Michigan DNR map. The trails (unofficially) goes all the way down to my house area 30 mins or so by car south of the area. The "logging" trails I'm unsure if atv's are allowed or not now, before you had to have an ORV and atvs could only go on dedicated atv trails by the DNR in Midland Country but recently they opened it up to the side roads and such. Gladwin has been open to side roads for ages from my understanding, unless they DNR doesn't care at Grim Hill (the trails in Grim township).

Anyway, good luck with the machines, hopefully they don't need much part wise, just some cleaning up and carb cleaning =).

DNR page for maps and such.
    https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,...314---,00.html

Pic of the area
    https://i.gyazo.com/bb891ea1968f51f0...9369ef48db.png
    Last edited by ps2fixer; 06-07-2019 at 12:19 PM.

--
    Thanks for the info ps2fixer and thats good news on the crank seals, are lack there of. I have a bunch to learn. I am much more comfortable with 2 strokes (from rebuilding the sleds) but look forward to learning from wrenching. I got the leak fixed with a new clutch cover gasket on the trimoto, new air filter, new oil filter, new plug, oil change and its running like new. I picked up an ultrasonic cleaner on ebay and my carb cleaning success has sky rocketed. I did get lucky as they were not that bad to start with. Jets needed cleaned up and I think I have some rust in the tanks so I added inline fuel filters. I plan on cleaning out the tanks with apple cider vinegar (tip from a friend). I need to fix/rebuild the pull start assembly on the 200s and get a new light, other then that they are all complete.

--
    Nice list of vintage sleds....my dad has a 1981 Invader 440, however it's been down for several years. It had an unexplained bog that we could never pinpoint. We also have (2) Yamaha Exciter 440's and a John Deere Liquifire 440. I believe the Yamaha's are 1980 models and the JD a 1979.

--
    After you use the acid on the tank (aka vinegar is a weak acid), you will want to coat the tank. Either a tank liner like red coat, or pay a shop to zinc plate the inside like it was factory. Ultra sonic cleaners are like a must have for carbs xD, my dad has one and I've ran a few carbs though it.

Yea 4 stroke vs 2 stroke is a world of difference. Air leaks are super critical on 2 strokes, 4 strokes don't care a whole lot within reason. Biggest thing with them is keep them full of oil like basically any other machine. There's more parts, but I think the 4 strokes are probably easier to work on in the sense less tech knowledge is needed. Like 2 stroke tuning is a bit of an art, 4 strokes you just don't want to be too lean or too rich, no oil effects to mix in there. Compression test gives a good idea of engine health (rings + valve seats).

You can port 4 strokes kind of like 2 strokes, but generally it's not needed unless you're doing more than just the porting. Port matching never hurts though and cleaning up the casting marks (aka port & polish). People say 4 strokes like back pressure, it's kind of true, but I think it's more in the sense of 2 strokes with straight pipe style tuning, the right length gives the best performance which is why race engines (drag racers and such) look like open headers, but the length isn't just random. Similar effect is on the intake side, longer the intake, lower the rpm the peak power/torque is in the power band.

--

Name:	20190803_221043.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	259592
    Traded the 70 for a 250sx. left wheel needs to be switched for correct rotation and I have since fixed the front disk brake on the 200x fork swap. Have some electrical work to do but a fun trike already. I have the stock headlight but want to add a 350x headlight in its place. Going to add spacers in the rear. I had to fusion Krylon the rear plastic as it was beyond the point I could sand it down fully realize that will crack but I will find a replacement somewhere.

--
    Good trade! I LOVE the 200X front end on my 250SX.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	007.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	259596This was on a ride with a friend last year. That was his first time riding a two stroke or a manual clutch.

--
    1986 350x

1983 250r

--

Name:	20190824_182448.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	259785
    Put the SX to the test at Bundy Hill in Michigan. It did great and was a blast. Only saw 2 other 3 wheelers all weekend.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //