//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 84 atc 70 bad coil?

blkstangman88 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

84 atc 70 bad coil?

Hello people, ive been restoring a 84 atc 70. I installed the cdi ebay kit and its been running amazing the last year. Anyways last month the coil failed and i ordered up a spangle one and started riding it again. Then the coil fails today. Is this just my luck or am i missing something?

--
    Maybe grab a used OEM coil? Pretty sure they are pretty rare to fail. A lot of the aftermarket stuff on ebay will be made in China, anything ignition related I'd stay clear of Chinese made.

Any other mods like a 12v stator?

blkstangman88 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Its still a 6v system. Its got the 88cc piston and spangle exhaust. Its a fun little toy for the kid

--
    Could just be the coil was a low quality one or something. I mentioned the stator since if it was rewound, maybe the exciter coil was rewound a little too hot, but if it's stock it should be fine. Maybe you just got a defective coil, could always contact the place you bought it and see if they would exchange it for a new one if the have any kind of warranty it's normally 60-90 days, but I've seen some places not willing to warranty electrical parts like that.

--
    DEFINATELY avoid the Chinese junk if you can,,,, I had very little option last year and think I went thru 3 on my sons 70 and then found an old USA made automobile one which I Zip Tied up under the tank and that's what saved the day. I also had the same situation with points; for what that's worth! Good luck and let us know how you did, W~

--
    That reminds me, Mike (http://mikesatvfix.com/) has coils made. I'm not sure if the specs would work for an ATC70 or not, pretty sure they are a hotter coil than stock, but they are normally used on 200-250cc machines. I never had one in hand, but I never heard anything bad about them yet (I work with some of his customers for wiring projects etc). Might be an option though, I just don't know the details about them, so you'd have to get a hold of Mike to find out more about them.

--
    thanks for that but it looks like Mike doesn't yet have the coil section ready yet. He says ''coming soon". I for one will be checking for sure. Thanks again, W~
    Quote Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
    That reminds me, Mike (http://mikesatvfix.com/) has coils made. I'm not sure if the specs would work for an ATC70 or not, pretty sure they are a hotter coil than stock, but they are normally used on 200-250cc machines. I never had one in hand, but I never heard anything bad about them yet (I work with some of his customers for wiring projects etc). Might be an option though, I just don't know the details about them, so you'd have to get a hold of Mike to find out more about them.

--
    There should be a place to contact him on the site, I know he's been selling them on facebook, but I don't use facebook, at least not yet. He's a pretty busy guy, so the site probably lags behind a bit for updates. I do the same with my parts site too, ebay is my main front, and my parts site kind of gets updated when I get excess stock.

--
    Thanks guys. I found a used oem coil im going to try out. I sent reading to verify if my cdi was still with in spec and im told its good. Starting to seem like its my bad luck lol

--
    CDI?! Humm stock engine has points, no CDI, part #1 in the diagram. Do you have a Chinese engine or something?

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ho...0-a/alternator

--
    Ps2fixer, my original post states i installed a cdi 6v conversion bud

--
    Ahh I must have overlooked that part of the thread. I normally think kit as in a group of parts the machine normally takes, didn't even think about it being orig points till your last post and had to look it up to make sure I wasn't crazy lol.

Anyway, now that I've looked up some ebay listings, you had to replace the stator which is what I was getting at on the 12v conversion idea. Maybe the exciter coil has more windings making it hotter (higher voltage) than what the coil normally would take. Don't really know anything about that kit so not sure if it's a common issue or not. I'd think the OEM coil would be one of the heaviest built ones to handle higher voltage and such so it should be a good solution going to as used OEM one.

--
    Turned out to be the cdi. Put the oem points back in with fresh points and bam, 1st pull.

--
    Ahh wasn't expecting the new style CDI would have died so quickly, how long did you have the kit installed?

--
    I installed in last June before our yearly dune trip. Worked great. Im laying bets it died when my kid was playing in the puddles. That was when the first coil failed. So I thought.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A06BFAD0-15F4-4865-8D5A-AB0C9B1FB0A6.jpg  

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //