//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 350X Kickstarter Install

--

350X Kickstarter Install

Hey guys. Putting my 350X motor back together, came across a little stumbling block, just looking for some guru help here. The Honda manual states to have the kitckstarter shaft marks aligned and facing up. When I put the kickstarter in as per the manual and align it with the boss this puts the marks at about the 9-10 o clock position? What the heck am I missing here. Photos for your viewing pleasure. Thanks.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Canadian350X; 06-21-2019 at 01:46 PM.

--
    I don't remember where the timing marks end up, so I'm no help there. But I just wanted to call your attention to the position of the arm that activates the compression release inside the case. Make sure it's in the right spot before closing it up or it will break off when you tighten the side cover bolts.
    YAMAHA 450 HYBRID
    85 350X- RED
    85 350x -BLACK
    86 350x-WHITE (with Goki)
    85 250r
    83 atc 70
    84 atc 70
    84 atc 110
    09 yfz 450
    2006 Arctic Cat Prowler
    RZR XP 900

--
    Yes, thanks for the tip BOB. This is kinda related to why I posted in the first place, as I do believe the marks are there to ensure timing between the cam on the kickstarter shaft and the decompression arm are lined up. I fooled around with it this weekend again, but for some reason it just doesn't feel like its in the right spot even though I can see the return spring engaged on the boss inside the case under the metal bracket? The kickstarter worked fine before and I did not change or disassemble anything after removing it during the initial tear down. I removed it as per the manual and it came out fairly easy. Anyone else have any tips? It must be something silly that's off a bit here.

--
    Okay, once you get it in one time, you'll punch yourself in the face for being a moron, at least I did

That was 25 years ago... Here's how to do it:

Make sure everything is in place, and if there's a thrust washer that won't stasy in place, just dry it off and put grease on it to hold it.

Now, put your kickstarter on the splines so you have something to rotate the shaft with and start the kicker spindle assembly into the shaft journal in your right middle case. Just BARELY get in that hole.

Now, rotate to the right and you will see the hooked part of the spring sit where it belongs. Rotate with the shaft on a small angle, making sure the spring is still caught, and by angling it you can rotate PAST where everything needs to sit and then just straighten out and push it in.

You're done...

You cannot push the shaft in until the "catch" does it's job... Angle and watch.

If you don't understand this, I will make you a video. BUT, the KEY IS!! Not pushing all the way into the bearing/journal in your case. You have to rotate PAST the catch, then pop it in. It is really easy once you do it one time...
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Thanks for posting Dirtcrasher. I knew it had to be something silly. I will read your post again while giving this another try. I think I understand what your trying to describe/instruct. And yes I was using the kickstarter to help install it, I don't think you could do it without. I will keep you posted. Thanks again.

--
    You need to catch the spring in the are it drops behind. Then rotate CW as the spring starts to "wind" itself up.

Once you feel it wind, you will know you are on the right path...
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Finally got around to doing this over the past weekend. Pretty much follow what Dirtcrasher posted and it went in ok. Doing this by yourself with the motor out of the frame is very tricky, it went way easier with someone holding the motor steady while you rotate and preload the spring in the CW direction. I got the timing dots all lined up as per the manual now. Thanks guys.

--
    Hey Dirtcrasher, I know this is an old topic but I’m curious if the kickstarter assembly installation on a 350x as in this topic is similar to the installation would be in a 1985 ATC250ES?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Tthartdoor View Post
    Hey Dirtcrasher, I know this is an old topic but I’m curious if the kickstarter assembly installation on a 350x as in this topic is similar to the installation would be in a 1985 ATC250ES?
    You probably figured it out, I just happened to log in tonight.

All kickstart springs have tobe "pre wound" so to speak, or it just sits in there and does nothing. It's not outlined that great in the service manual but the Clymer manual is what gave a bit more information on this many years ago.

It's just a matter of lining up dots and preloading the spring by rotating past the stop, then when you release that you will feel the tension.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //