//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Help me. 84 Honda Atc200es troubles

--

Help me. 84 Honda Atc200es troubles

Hello. Sooo.. i bought my son an atv at christmas, i got sick to death of being doubled by him so i bought a cheap atc200es to ride with him and keep an eye on him. The guy told me it ran a while back, get it started and your away.

I got it running but when i try put it in gear (1 down) it stalls every time. Then it stalled and locked in gear, wouldnt go back to neutral so wouldnt start. Eventually it freed up but engine was labouring on start and only by pressing the gear lever down slightly would run free. 8 started it a few more times like this and tried changing gear and it kept stalling. Then on 1 attempt there was alot of clutchy smelling smoke and it runs free in neutral without the need to press the gear lever down slightly.

Did i burn out the clutch? Why was the trike stalling?

Can anyone help me?

--
    Sounds like theirs an issue with the clutch or starter bearing , need to pull the clutch cover and investigate , possibly water got in their ?
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    The accualtater or the shifter fork could be broken
    Last edited by Mullet_Man; 06-27-2019 at 08:06 PM.

--
    So ive now pulled both cluches.

It free wheels but the shaft the clutch was on is still siezed. Is it a broken gear in the gearbox, jammed onto the housing?

--
    My first guess was a bent shifter shaft too.

The output shaft though the transmission ties into the shaft the clutch mounts on. If the trans is in neutral, it should free wheel with not much drag, when in any gear, it should be dead locked to the tires, no slip etc.

If I recall correctly, there's a "clutch adjustment" on the side cover case. If all checks well with the clutch, you might want to follow the service manual instructions on adjusting it, maybe it's too tight/loose causing it to shift poorly and slip while in gear. If you don't have a service manual, download it from here -> http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

Anyway, if the shifter doesn't work very well to get the trans in neutral, you might have to check out the shifter shaft. There's a cage that can make it shift weird if it's bent/broken.

Here's an ebay listing to show what it should look like. It's the top part in the diagram below.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/84-1984-84-...UAAOSw8GhZe74h

--
    I found the issue. Took fkn hours and my trike is in a bazillion pieces. The countershaft low 36t gear has busted a tooth and jammed it all up.
    I really have no idea where to find parts or... how to reassemble the entire motor haha.
    If anyone has some links to usefull videos, guides, scematics or parts retailers i would be much obliged

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Billwesty View Post
    I found the issue. Took fkn hours and my trike is in a bazillion pieces. The countershaft low 36t gear has busted a tooth and jammed it all up.
    I really have no idea where to find parts or... how to reassemble the entire motor haha.
    If anyone has some links to usefull videos, guides, scematics or parts retailers i would be much obliged
    If you want to do it yourself, there's plenty of help here as well if you get into a pickle. Download the free factory manual from that link Cory posted above. I have a few saved in my phone so it's always close by when I need it.

When I'm looking for OEM parts, I use Babbitts or have also used Partzilla or Honda of Troy. They all have schematics on their websites. I have the Babbitts app on my phone so I order that way.

If the part is discontinued, try posting the OEM part number in the search window on Google or eBay. I've had pretty good success there as well finding parts. Lots of people sell parts only by number as they have no clue what it was for when they bought out that dealership. I always get the OEM number and search that first rather than the machine make/model/year.

There are guys here who run shops for a living and on the side, so if you get too deep, you can mail it off to someone..... Though I'm not sure how much they like reassembling a basket case.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Ebay is pretty good for finding parts. Not sure which one in the diagram it is since it isn't labeled with the tooth counts. You can also get the whole sub trans for a pretty reasonable price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153377526812

I also saw a few gears listed for sale for around $20 each or less.

For reassembling, the service manual should be a bit of a help, but the instructions are likely wrote for taking it apart, so you'd have to go in reverse to assemble if it doesn't have those instructions. The diagrams on parts selling sites like partzilla can be useful, but sometimes they are not 100% perfect. Like ironchop said, if you run into an issue, you could always post what you ran into and we'd do our best to help you.

--
    Attachment 259279
    Attachment 259280

Started the rebuild finally after getting a donor engine for parts. Im currently rebuilding the main gearbox but i cant figure this bit. The shaft the the selector arms slide on has a round bit(pictured) on the forward reverse side. And it somehow relates to the gear shifter cylinder(pictured). Can anyone tell me what orientation these should be assembled together as? Or am i suppose to unbolt that piece and set it later? Assistance plz

--
    FYI, attachments didn't work out, did you wait long enough for them to upload?

--
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190712_144132.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	259283Click image for larger version. 

ID:	259283

--
    Click image for larger version. 

ID:	259283Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190712_144121.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	259284

--
    Ok the parts are called the cam stopper lever which activqtes the reverse stopper lever, and the gear shift drum. They have cogs which make them move together and i think They can be installed wrong. Do you have a guide on how to orient these parts properly.

--
    Sounds like you just need to grab the free service manual for the reference. It has diagrams and such like I added below. There's too many pages to screen shot them all lol. Transmission section starts on page 147 in my copy.

http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //