//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 84 200x cam chain jumping

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Shep1970 View Post
    Thanks guys- I too always wondered what IIRC meant, been meaning to ask for a while....I learned something new today

Shep
    Shep knows because HHT...

.HE HAS TEENAGERS
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtcrasher View Post
    Have any of you guys had a cam chain "jump"??

I've never seen that happen...
    Seen a BBC tear teeth off a gear drive. Pro-Mod motor.
    Does that count?
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

--

Yeah. Once. In an XR100. It had a broken guide so it was pretty floppy and already very worn

I ended up rebuilding the head for the guy. Bent those tiny valves. He also bent the swingarm worse than any I've ever seen. Probably close to three inches of bend over the length of the swingarm. Point is, this machine was abused pretty badly, so it's probably rare

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Got it going today by using the 3mm bolt to tighten cam chain hasn't been this easy to start in years thanks for all the help guys

Fullsizechevy9 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Your welcome was probably just froze or tensioner was wore out i had that problem with mine had to use that bolt to losen it up then pull up to tighten it wasnt the best design imo it gets wore out and doesnt put as much tension as it should but alot of things wear out over 30yrs so i guess it really isnt that bad if its been working this long alot of people dont know about screwing the bolt in there to help tighten it the try to let it auto adjust and if it doesnt work end up tearing it down when it may not be neccesary

--

Yes on old V8 cars with nylon gears, happens when you shut the engine off, not under load. The ones I recall didn’t damage the valves.

A buddy skipped one on a street bike that was just over a year old in the 80’s. Cause was a defective auto-tensioner.

Funny thing is when people switch over to a manual tensioner because they don’t trust the auto units a lot of them end up over tightening them and breaking the guides and making a really big mess.
    It sucks to get old

JacobMonster is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    Yeah. Once. In an XR100.
    Doug, remember when I brought the 200x over and we worked on it for a weekend? The cam chain jumped on that. It's because I was missing a piece in the tensioner.

It would run fine, then wouldn't start forever. Then after enough kicking, it would skip back into time.

It's getting taken apart in a few weeks. I finally convinced my Dad to buy all the parts for it to get it running right, since it's his trike. Once I get my shop built, ever single timing piece is being replaced.

Sent from my SM-J337AZ using Tapatalk

--
    That's true, I had forgotten about that.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    My Yamaha jumped timing but it was because the Key way that keeps everything inline on the crank shaft broke in two... lol it wasnt to hard to fix though, just remember to tie up the timing chain with a piece of wire to keep it from falling into the case when reinstalling everything..lol If you get a new chain you may want to think about a new timing gear as well.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //