//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 84 200x cam chain jumping

--

84 200x cam chain jumping

Are the new cam chains never ending chains so I have to split the cases or is there a master link in them?I rebuilt the top end and it started up rode it around for awhile turned it off and it wont start tried tighting the cam chain when it was runing with no luck.Never split cases before so not looking forward to that.

--
    The chain doesn't go inside the crankcase. The lower chain sprocket is on the crank, outside of the case but under the flywheel. You need to pull the flywheel cover and flywheel off to get to it so you can slip it off the crank and change it.

The chain tensioner may be broken, worn out, or the tensioner adjustment assembly is stuck. You can access that stuff easily while the flywheel is off.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by spete View Post
    Are the new cam chains never ending chains so I have to split the cases or is there a master link in them?I rebuilt the top end and it started up rode it around for awhile turned it off and it wont start tried tighting the cam chain when it was runing with no luck.Never split cases before so not looking forward to that.
    How do you know the chain is jumping?
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    Tried to pull the flywheel off when I rebuilt the top end to check the adjuster I used the front axle bolt it did not want to budge was afraid to put to much pressure on it how do you guys hold the flywheel from turning?

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by yaegerb View Post
    How do you know the chain is jumping?
    What he said
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    Tried to pull the flywheel off when I rebuilt the top end to check the adjuster I used the front axle bolt it did not want to budge was afraid to put to much pressure on it how do you guys hold the flywheel from turning?
    They make a special tool for the flywheel and IIRC it's fairly cheap, use an impact gun.

Never used the front axle bolt myself, but I'm guessing that an impact gun would work with that too. I'm a firm believer in using the proper tool for the job. Cheeping out on tools or mickey mousing around using the proper tool can cost you far more than the price of the proper tool
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

--
    When it did'nt start I checked the timing.Thanks for the help everyone

--
    And whats IIRC Scootertrash

Fullsizechevy9 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    If you just tried letting it auto adjust somtimes they stick i found its best to take out the plug bolt and take a 2in long 3mmx.05mm bolt and thread it into the tensioner through the hole then loosen the 14mm adjuster nut and push in on the bolt with pliers to loosen it up then pull up to.tighten until u hear the noise stop and hold it there while u tighten the 14mm adjuster nut back if its not frozen and that doesnt work then you may need a new cam chain or tensioner setup have to tear into it to find out im sure sombody here has some better advice and will chime in thats just what i found to work for me when i tried to let it auto adjust while running it never took enough slack out for me i had to thread the bolt in and pull up to get it to tighten guess the spring gets tired over time

Fullsizechevy9 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Well if its not starting and it jumped time i would just replace the cam chain and tensioner a good cam chain isnt much and i cant see a new tensioner being to much havnt priced them

--
    Cam chain is riveted together a small hand press tool can be used. I have a Motion Pro unit that doubles as my drive chain master link press too. Still need to grind a bit as needed but easier than a punch and to press the pin out and set it.

--
    Since you think the chain jumped, I would also do a compression test.

My nephew put on a topend on his 200X and didn't get the sprockets lined up correctly so he bent a valve trying to start it and the lost compression caused a no start issue.

"IIRC" = "if I recall correctly"

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    And whats IIRC Scootertrash
    If I Remember Correctly

ETA: Or what chop said since he beat me to it

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Scootertrash View Post
    If I Remember Correctly

ETA: Or what chop said since he beat me to it
    Thanks guys- I too always wondered what IIRC meant, been meaning to ask for a while....I learned something new today

Shep

--
    Have any of you guys had a cam chain "jump"??

I've never seen that happen...
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //