//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 250cc China CRF Clone engine for the 83-85 ATC200X

--

250cc China CRF Clone engine for the 83-85 ATC200X

Came across this recently, not sure if it's commonly known, but a customer of mine validated the engine bolts right up into his 85 200x frame.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25265202404...m=252652024047

Based on some research, it's a CRF230 clone engine made in china. Engine model is 169FMM based on the listing, seems like 167FMM is more common though. I don't know which way the kick starter kicks though, since it's a motorcycle engine, guessing backwards from what a 3 wheeler should have.

While googling around, I saw a mention of the top end of this engine being used on an atc200x bottom end, so I guess some parts might be interchangeable.

Might be a long shot, but I wonder if the top end from the liquid cooled version of this engine could be swapped on the 200x. Seems like a liquid cooled 200x would be a pretty neat upgrade + the cylinder slightly larger ~230cc.

Fullsizechevy9 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Is that clone a 2 stroke or 4

--
    Looks like a 3 stroke to me

For 3rd world country that is
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

Fullsizechevy9 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Lol i just wonder how reliable it will be if parts are interchangable may not be a bad motor

--
    Pretty sure it's 4 stroke, I don't know hardly anything about the CRF engine. The little I've read about the vs china engines, the chinese ones are actually built well.

--
    May be an option later down the road for another build im sure sombody will have done it by then

--
    Definitely a four stroke. you can see the CDI cover that goes on the end of the cam and it even says CDI. You can also see the caps that you remove to adjust the valves. At a glance, it does appear to be a fairly close clone of the 185/200 engines.

--
    I think in the right circumstances, they can be a good, cheap option. I've heard that many of the Chinese motors aren't too bad, tho not expected to be as good as name brand Japanese.
    I picked up a 350cc Loncin, chain drive with electric start and reverse for $60 Canadian, in good shape. If I ever get around to it, I'll put it in my spare 350x frame. Would be a pretty cool light duty 350, what with reverse and electric start. From what I've measured, I think it would go in pretty easy. I believe it's based on a Suzuki motor tho, NOT Honda.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by shortline10 View Post
    Looks like a 3 stroke to me

For 3rd world country that is
    That went over like a 747at 36,000’
    It sucks to get old

--
    I probably should mention that price on ebay might be a bit on the high side, I saw the whole motorcycle for sale for around $900 on those Chinese selling sites, so I'd think the engine would be around $500 or less from the right source. Supporting harness and electrical is stupid cheap direct from China, but it's kind of good luck figuring out which parts are right for the engine. They never use real specs or exact fitments, just generic like Chinese motorcycle 250cc.

Seems like an affordable way to power a spare 200x frame. Not exactly my cup of tea (i'd rather buy the actual CRF230 engine), but an more info on these engines would be helpful for other's looking to maybe use the engine.

Based on the CRF wire diagram I have, the ignition system is very similar to the 200x, uses the old school kill switch design and such (off = ignition wire shorted to ground). If I had a 200x around yet, I'd probably concider buying the top end from the china clone and trying it out.

So there's a china clone for the atc70 engine bolt pattern, and the 200x/200 series, now we need a nice clone of the 350x engine and a clone of the 250r power plant. Even china quality, as long as things are copied pretty well it shouldn't be too bad, but it kind of depends just how good of a clone it is. The brand I looked up is a multi million dollar company, not just a tiny no name company. I guess the Chinese gov uses some of their engines in some of their military vehicles based on their website.

I just worked on a 125cc china quad (TaoTao brand) for a friend, plastics are pretty brittle, wiring is ok but the bullet terminals don't lock together very well, ignition coil has the harness soldered to it with some heat shrink over it, and the spark plug cap is shorting to the head when I rev the engine (something like a 10mm gap which means it has a strong spark). Besides all that, it seems to work alright. I think it's pretty under powered for a 125cc, but then again it only has 1 gear and was intended for little kids. Brakes are horrible on that machine, the rotors are way too small, I can't even lock up the tires, and they expect a kid to stop the machine (front is cable which actually works the best, rear is hydraulic). I think the machine was like a 2008, so getting pretty old. The main issue with the machine was the voltage regulator was shorting out and blowing the 20 amp main fuse and it's been sitting so long the float seems to be having issues, I cleaned out the carb but it seems like it's not getting gas yet, bought a replacement carb for like $8 and after a lot of tuning I got it running ok, seems like the pilot jet is a bit lean, probably should throw a new NGK plug in it and do a plug check at low rpm. Mid to high rpm seems fine, just doesn't come back down to idle too great, one way it keeps a higher idle and acts lean, other way it seems to load up and eventually stalls, I'm talking like 1/2 turn either way from where it's at, so touchy.

I've heard the Lifan Chinese engines are built pretty well, the biggest problem seems to be from power output, they might be a copy of a Honda engine, but the power output is less. I think with the right upgrades and fixing some casting, porting etc they can probably run pretty well. My sister had a 50cc Chinese quad when she was young, biggest problem for that machine was lack of power, and super hard to start (cold blooded). Probably jetted a bit on the lean side or something. They have a lot of sand at their house and the quad did ok on flat ground, but couldn't handle hills, and the shift lever was hard to shift though the gears. Didn't know about the clutch adjustment back then, might have been a pretty easy fix. Oh yea the plastic tank cracked on top where the lid screws on, poor casing or poor choice of plastic. Besides the lack of power, the engine seemed to hold up fine. My dad also had an ATC70, now that machine was fun to ride, it could wheelie, had bigger tires and everything, and a big perk, as long as it had fresh gas, it started right up first pull most of the time.
    Last edited by ps2fixer; 07-02-2019 at 11:48 PM.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
    I've heard the Lifan Chinese engines are built pretty well, the biggest problem seems to be from power output, they might be a copy of a Honda engine, but the power output is less. I think with the right upgrades and fixing some casting, porting etc they can probably run pretty well. My sister had a 50cc Chinese quad when she was young, biggest problem for that machine was lack of power, and super hard to start (cold blooded). Probably jetted a bit on the lean side or something. They have a lot of sand at their house and the quad did ok on flat ground, but couldn't handle hills, and the shift lever was hard to shift though the gears. Didn't know about the clutch adjustment back then, might have been a pretty easy fix. Oh yea the plastic tank cracked on top where the lid screws on, poor casing or poor choice of plastic. Besides the lack of power, the engine seemed to hold up fine. He also had an ATC70, now that machine was fun to ride, it could wheelie, had bigger tires and everything, and a big perk, as long as it had fresh gas, it started right up first pull most of the time.
    Is it just me, or did you leave out the part about a gender reassignment somewhere between the 50cc quad and the ATC70?
    Last edited by El Camexican; 07-02-2019 at 11:44 PM. Reason: She had/He had
    It sucks to get old

--
    Lol, I was speaking in the context of my dad on the ATC70 since my sister didn't really ride it much. She tipped it over once and it spooked her.

Here's some pics I have of the ATC70 before my dad sold it. It developed a pin hole leak in the bottom of the gas tank at trike fest.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20140621_195523.jpg   20140620_225432.jpg   20140620_225456.jpg  
    Last edited by ps2fixer; 07-02-2019 at 11:55 PM.

JacobMonster is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Doug's son had a Lifan motor in his 200x. He beat that thing so hard and it took it. It wasnt tuned nearly as well as the 200x. Riding together, he burnt about a tank while I was still at half. He rode the piss out a it though, so that might account for it.

Personally, I'd rather put a CRF 230 in it. I believe BBR makes a few aftermarket parts for the engine to hop it up some. I believe the 230 has a HP or 2 over the old 200X.

At the same time, it's nice to have a brand new engine for less than having someone rebuild the old 200.

Sent from my SM-J337AZ using Tapatalk

--
    Artichoke on a fullsizeC

--
    It will fit. Maybe some minor modifications.
    Trikes owned:
    83 Honda 200x "Liquid X"
    81 DG 250r : Sold

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //