//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Drive Shaft Assembly in Car

--

Drive Shaft Assembly in Car

Hey everyone, any car mechanics out there? My GF just got a multi-point inspection on her new-to-her 2006 Scion tC (front-wheel drive) car and the inspection says "RH Drive Shaft Assy." Like it's broken, and they charge $641.95 to repair it.

I don't have experience with car driveshafts besides greasing the zerks, but I'm mechanically inclined and have the tools. Is this something that can be repaired in the driveway even if it's a PITA to save hundreds of dollars, or do you need a lift? Also, is there another name for the broken part? RH Driveshaft Assy doesn't tell me much by googling it. Thanks yall!

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    Might also be know as a CV Shaft.

Typically not too difficult to replace. YMMV
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    I would first determine exactly what the problem is.

How does the car drive, any unusual noises in the front or vibrations?

Any light clicking noise when turning a full circle with the steering wheel at full lock left or right?

Here's one of a few "how to" videos for a scion. This guy installed a duralast brand axle on his right side and it vibrated and the dealer told him the axle was causing a vibration, so he had the dealer install a factory one and that fixed it but the factory axles cost twice as much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePKWsg0PZuk

Aftermarket axles are hit and miss, the best axle for guaranteed results is an original one, and the second best option is likely a rebuilt original one. One of the best oem parts rebuilders is Cardone (A1 Cardone). NAPA Auto has rebuilt axles from Cardone for around $90.00 and if it were me, that is what I would use. Some of the other auto parts stores have rebuilt axles from other rebuilders like Tripple B and I would not use one of those. Cardone also makes new axles but I have seen some bad reviews on those on some models for minor issues.

The best axle rebuildersOreily Rock Auto sells parts pretty cheap and they have rebuilt original axles as well.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    The rebuilt axles rock auto sells are rebuilt by cardone and are less than napa at around $65.00.

250rAL is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    If you do it yourself, replace the axle seal, where it goes into the transmission, at the same time.
    36PJ Keihin
    K&N
    Boyesen reeds
    Magura hydraulic clutch
    Roost Boost
    MSR bars
    OMF swingarm skid
    ITP Beadlocks

Three Wheelin' Since '84

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Pierce1989 View Post
    Hey everyone, any car mechanics out there? My GF just got a multi-point inspection on her new-to-her 2006 Scion tC (front-wheel drive) car and the inspection says "RH Drive Shaft Assy." Like it's broken, and they charge $641.95 to repair it.
    Hard to say what they are quoting. Was it at the Dealer?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'83 200X

Chicks love guys that ride trikes

--
    Hmm 3wheelerworld no longer sends me emails when there's a reply! Strange. Anyways, My GF said that the dealership didn't necessarily say that it was broken, but they said that the rubber boots were old. I know it should be replaced but hoping she can continue driving on it as is until the new parts come in/I've read enough to feel confident on the job. Thanks for all the replies. I'm gonna jack up the car and see if they're really in bad shape or the dealership is messing with her...

Arky-X is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    If the boots are cracked or already split, the CV joint may already be dry and just a matter of time before they go out. On the Hondas I've had they will start popping when you turn a corner. Had one side replaced for about $180 at an independent shop but that was at least 6-8 years ago. I had one priced for about $100 from A1 Cardone (suggested above) but for just a little more, let them do it.

I wouldn't recommend this but I've known some people pump grease in there, gorilla tape (don't wrap tight so it can flex), flex seal spray over it and then zip tie (loosely so it can flex) a motorcycle fork boot (cut in half) around it. Definitely a hack repair.

I don't know what the axle goes for now but $600+ for 1 side seems a bit high to me. I used an independent shop that specialized in brakes so you might try getting another quote.

Mosh is offline I'm the one with all the 2 stroke around here! The day begins with 3WW
    --
    Been a tech for 30 years. If it is not clicking or popping, or vibrating on aceleration or leaking grease, it is fine..
    If any of the above requires replacement it is a 225-300$ job..If you use aftermarket axle, only buy a new one through advance or carquest
    Nothing rebuilt is any good and especially A1 cardone
    Here is where my long useless list of stuff nobody cares about should go...

Proudly NOT a member of

"Team on the Teat"

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosh View Post
    Nothing rebuilt is any good and especially A1 cardone
    You are 110% wrong. It would be far better and much more useful to post FACTS instead of opinions and generalizations.

--
    Another option is to get a used original one from a wrecking yard off a low mile car. There are several wrecking yards that have sites on the internet that you can search. LKQ is a large one.

Here is passenger side for a 2006 Scion TC from a car that only had 42k miles on it and it comes with a 6 month warranty and 30 day, no questions asked return policy. It is $85.00 with free shipping but you may have to pay the return shipping if you return it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-Scion-...YAAOSwJrpdExIo

LKQ ONLINE WRECKERS

https://www.lkqonline.com/

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Pierce1989 View Post
    Hmm 3wheelerworld no longer sends me emails when there's a reply! Strange. Anyways, My GF said that the dealership didn't necessarily say that it was broken, but they said that the rubber boots were old. I know it should be replaced but hoping she can continue driving on it as is until the new parts come in/I've read enough to feel confident on the job. Thanks for all the replies. I'm gonna jack up the car and see if they're really in bad shape or the dealership is messing with her...
    Scion pulled out of Canada. I can only guess at this point that "they" the dealer quoted you a price to replace the boots on the shaft? Going to say off hand a new OEM shaft is way more then that quote. I have been with Toyota for a long time. Scion up here was short lived.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'83 200X

Chicks love guys that ride trikes

--
    Retail on that shaft in so cal is $590.00 for an auto model, p/n 4341044042 but you can get it from online sources for less.

$417.00

https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/...410-44042.html

Mosh is offline I'm the one with all the 2 stroke around here! The day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by barnett468 View Post
    You are 110% wrong. It would be far better and much more useful to post FACTS instead of opinions and generalizations.
    30 years in the biz and that is just a taste of the certs I have obtained..Lets see your credentials...

I am not arguing with you, you pompous asshat..
    Listen to my advice or don't..Cardone used to be a decent outfit..If you like warranty work for leaking racks, blown steering pumps, seized up rebuilt calipers, then go ahead and install that ..We do not unless there is no other option.
    Last edited by Mosh; 07-16-2019 at 02:22 PM.

Proudly NOT a member of

"Team on the Teat"

--
    Need more proof?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190716_114158.jpg  

Proudly NOT a member of

"Team on the Teat"

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //