//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 10.25:1 200x wiseco piston to cylinder fit

Fullsizechevy9 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

10.25:1 200x wiseco piston to cylinder fit

What should the clearance be? I was talking to a guy that bores and hones cylinders to match the wiseco pistons amd offers it as a package he said he puts a .002 clearance. Is that right? Being a machinist and dealing with tight tolerences such as bearing fits i always allow metal to cool before i take my final cut or polish anymore off because as it heats it can grow .002 easily and then shrink back as it cools

Fullsizechevy9 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I figured it would be closer to .004 clearance which would be .002 per side .001 per side seems to tight

--
    .003 or .004 is a piece of hair or sheet of paper thickness which is almost nothing

--
    Maybe im overthinking it if the piston expands im sure the jug will be expanding also the piston shouldnt expand alone so i giess .002 is about right

--
    It's been a while since I've had a cylinder honed for a new piston, but I think that the important info is on the instruction sheet that comes with the new piston. For some reason, the number .003 comes to mind when thinking about piston to cylinder clearance. Maybe I'm wrong on that one?

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullsizechevy9 View Post
    I figured it would be closer to .004 clearance which would be .002 per side .001 per side seems to tight
    .004" is way too loose on that size bore in a low horse engine but is about right for a 500 cube stroker engine that has nitrous or a blower.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullsizechevy9 View Post
    Maybe im overthinking it if the piston expands im sure the jug will be expanding also the piston shouldnt expand alone so i giess .002 is about right
    It is best to never guess at what clearances should be.

--
    .002 - .00225 is fine for a wiseco in that size bore, but the piston should have come with a clearance chart.

--
    you can also ask the machinist if he can plateau hone it for you as well.

even though a cylinder will typically expand as well, it will typically not expand as much or as fast as a piston so it is possible to "cold" seize" an engine if the clearance is fairly tight and it is not warmed up sufficiently before any hard riding is done.

--
    i would also use very good oil.

--
    I found that the clearance for that particular piston is .002 just sounds tight to me for somthing that could possibly expand with heat but im no expert im sure wiseco knows their .001 per side is almost an interference fit

--
    I may just get a used cylinder and the piston i want and bore and hone it myself so i know its right hate to buy somthing from sombody i know nothing about or ill just bring it to sombody reputable and have them fit it

--
    Quote Originally Posted by barnett468 View Post
    i would also use very good oil.
    Please be more specific sir. This thread desperately needs lubricating.
    It sucks to get old

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    Please be more specific sir. This thread desperately needs lubricating.
    I agree, i'd hate to see someone get rubbed the wrong way
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Scootertrash View Post
    I agree, i'd hate to see someone get rubbed the wrong way
    Your comment, while somewhat boring has a familiar ring to it. I may have to hone in and do a search to pin down the source, hopefully my obsession doesn’t go overbored, some people don’t have the tolerance for that sort of thing and I’d hate to get punched out over it.
    It sucks to get old

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //