//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 84 ATC 200ES no power in gear

--

84 ATC 200ES no power in gear

I was recently given an 84 atc200es and after some carb cleaning and timing work we were able to get it to start and idle fine. It seems to rev up fine in neutral but if you kick in gear and try to ride it hardly moves. We have gone over everything we can think of including tearing the carb apart 3 or 4 times and adjusting the valves. Everything appears to be in order it just won't move in gear. Hoping somebody can point me in some sort of direction here. Thanks

--
    Look into the clutches. Sounds like they may be slipping.
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

--
    I'd say that the jetting in the carb is off. Either from wrong sized jets, a jet or two are still partially plugged, or there's a blockage in the intake or exhaust. Unless your engine revs up and the trike doesn't want to move. Then I'd look at the clutches like Gabriel said.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Well it is really best to get more information before making guesses as to what the problem might be, like the following:

When in neutral, will if rev extremely high like it is going to blow up?

When in neutral, if you push the throttle wide open as fast as you can does it kill the engine or does it hesitate for a second then rev up normally, or does it instantly rev up?

When in gear and trying to accelerate does the engine rev up like it is in neutral or does it bog down like it is in gear with the brakes on?

ANY other detailed info you can provide may help.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by barnett468 View Post
    Well it is really best to get more information before making guesses as to what the problem might be, like the following:

When in neutral, will if rev extremely high like it is going to blow up?

When in neutral, if you push the throttle wide open as fast as you can does it kill the engine or does it hesitate for a second then rev up normally, or does it instantly rev up?

When in gear and trying to accelerate does the engine rev up like it is in neutral or does it bog down like it is in gear with the brakes on?

ANY other detailed info you can provide may help.
    It does hesitate when in neutral but does catch up after a second but the full throttle rev does seem low. When in gear on flat ground it sounds like your going a hundred but only in 1st then it's bogged down once you shift and uphill is just a complete waste of time it doesn't even try just boggs down and comes to a complete stop. The jets are stock jet sizes and are completely clear and the float appears to being working fine. When we checked the fuel levels in the bowl it was completely full of gas. Thanks guys for the responses I am completely stumped on this one but we haven't looked into the clutch yet so that may be the next step

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Jk102718 View Post
    It does hesitate when in neutral but does catch up after a second
    ok, that's common to some degree.

the full throttle rev does seem low.
    You mean in neutral it doesn't rev very high like the throttle is only opening maybe 1/2 way or less etc?

Did you check to make sure the slide is opening all the way?

When in gear on flat ground it sounds like your going a hundred but only in 1st
    So the engine revs much higher when it is in 1st gear then it does in neutral?

Does it accelerate normally?

Does it accelerate like the throttle is only opening part way?

Exactly what happens if you put it in 1st then put the brakes on then open the throttle?

then it's bogged down once you shift
    You mean it will not accelerate anymore?

Will it actually slow down?

Are the brakes sticking?

and uphill is just a complete waste of time it doesn't even try just boggs down and comes to a complete stop.
    Is it a steep hill?

Exactly what happens when you try to accelerate in first gear from a complete stop once you are on the hill?

The jets are stock jet sizes and are completely clear and the float appears to being working fine. When we checked the fuel levels in the bowl it was completely full of gas.
    Is the gas new or recent?

Did you check the air filter?

You might try removing the muffler and trying it.

--
    I've probably got about 3/4 throttle in neutral and no it's not a higher rev in gear and the bogging occurs on any incline at all. Once you shift to 2nd it moves a little slower and revs about the same. The gas is new and the air filter doesn't have the foam part on so its definitely getting enough air. We actually have the rear break unhooked due to a sticking issue but that has been fixed and the tires are free spinning when it's lifted of the ground

--
    So the air filter is just the screen? That could be your problem right there, too much air, aka lean condition. I'd say get an air filter for it before running it any more. Dust/dirt destroys engines. Also does the air box have the lid, any holes in it? The stock jetting is intended with a fully closed up air box and the tubing that hooks up to the frame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwIjLECJmA8

Anyway, I'll let barnett continue on since he's asking the right questions =).

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //