//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Weird 200x alignment?

--

Weird 200x alignment?

Not only am I new to the forum but I'm new to 3 wheelers too. I took a chance and bought a 1984 200x and it's been a curve ball all the way. The front wheel is almost too far one way and won't allow the rotor to set on the hub all the way?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190707_121830.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	259216

Name:	MVIMG_20190707_121820.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	259217

Name:	IMG_20190707_121815.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	2.94 MB 
ID:	259218

--
    Welcome to 3ww. The first thing I see wrong is the bushings/collars need to be swapped
    Here’s a couple pics so you can see the difference. Start there I assume that’s your issue.

Name:	DA527CD8-C99B-4232-AD93-E17ED1A4ED6C.jpeg 
Views:	54 
Size:	610.8 KB 
ID:	259221 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C40ACE19-30D1-40EE-84C0-592757146FB9.jpeg 
Views:	48 
Size:	565.6 KB 
ID:	259222
    The high hat looking collar goes on the caliper side.
    Shep

--
    Ah ha! I though I had tried everything but apparently not. Thank you! Next step that leaky gas tank... Will it ever end lol

--
    If the tank is metal and has a pin hole, read up on how to braise, or pay a professional to do it. Afterward I'd say to treat the tank inside with some sort of acid to disolve any rust, rinse well and put a tank liner in it. You could always just buy a plastic tank too, they just don't look quite as nice as oem.

Good luck with the machine, don't forget it's a 35+ year old machine, a lot can happen in that time. Check all fluids, and replacing them is never a bad idea. Check bearings (steering stem, rear axle, swing arm), make sure the hub bolts are tight, chain adjusted right, sprockets in good shape, etc. It's not that you can't ride it with this kind of issues, it's just cheaper to fix it now, than to wait till you have to fix it later when it's unexpected and likely at the worst possible time.

--
    Tank appears to have been patched before... A lot. I did read on here a few days back about different patches and fixes, but I went ahead and ordered an IMS tank so I can use the tank shrouds. I think I will go ahead and try to braze up the old tank anyways and attempt to refinish it myself. I picked up a clymer manual from a buddy and that sure has been helpful, I've had some old ATVs that's I worked on myself quite a bit. this solo wheel up front is a whole new level. I've replaced some bearings and they went well as well as the chain and sprockets. I am hoping all I have left is a tank swap, comb through the rear brakes (locked up) and I am thinking a carb cleaning and it should be good as... Well, 35 years old

--
    Yea, you could also download a free service manual from http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/ and have two points of reference. Service manuals sometimes have mistakes in them, I find them fairly often in the wiring diagrams.

There's some older threads about replacing the rear caliper with ones from other machines. I don't remember the details any more, but one of them was like a front brake caliper from a 185 motorcycle would fit the 350x rear caliper bracket. I guess the bolt spacing is somewhat universal, you need to match which side of the bracket the caliper mounts on, type (brake line size etc) and the mounting system of course has to be the same. Sometimes the threads are in the bracket, sometimes in the caliper. The random machine caliper in my case was like $20 shipped, lot better than $100+ for the OEM one in worse shape.

Also, just so you're aware, the cheap china made carbs on ebay and such are hit and miss for quality. I suspect if you rejetted them and did a full tune they'd work fine, but out of the box they are rarely bolt on and go, at least some adjustment is needed. They are china clones, so Honda design, but fit and finish isn't as good, and the jets are probably complete garbage, maybe slap OEM branded jets in it and they would be just fine, haven't seen anyone try that yet though.

--
    I had actually just bookmarked the page about the parts-swapped brake systems. A lot of handy, money saving info in that thread.

I'm thinking some of the previous patch work on the gas tank has maybe gummed up the carb. Won't know more until I can dive in and tear it apart.

--
    That or it still has rust inside. Might want to take the tank off the machine and rinse it out. It's not easy getting all the junk in the tank out though. An inline filter can help for the short term.

--
    I'm hoping when I switch off to the plastic tank, I can comb through and see what all is going on with the metal one without losing a flashlight

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //