//ArrowChat Code

Thread: YT-125 Autolube

--

YT-125 Autolube

Quick questions about the autolube. Most people disable it and mix their gas. I just bought a fully restored YT-125 -- wondering if I should disable the autolube? It looks to be functioning, but I keep trying to figure out if there is enough smoke in the exhaust. The tail pipe is wet and oily. I'm obviously new to 2 strokes.

--
    I'm not an expert on this, but here's my opinion. First, exhaust smoke is not a good way to check your gas/oil ratio. Second, premix is always the same ratio so It should always smoke the same. Third, the oil injection is (I believe) variable on the gas/oil ratio. I believe that the higher the engine RPMs, the more oil is injected into the engine. You should have less smoke coming out of the exhaust at an idle since there is less oil in the fuel. As for eliminating the oil injection and going to straight premix, that's your call. The injection should use less oil when compared to the premix, but if something in it fails while you're out riding, there goes the engine. Premix always delivers oil.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Trimoto Mike View Post
    Quick questions about the autolube. Most people disable it and mix their gas. I just bought a fully restored YT-125 -- wondering if I should disable the autolube? It looks to be functioning, but I keep trying to figure out if there is enough smoke in the exhaust. The tail pipe is wet and oily. I'm obviously new to 2 strokes.
    Yes, I never trust them. Cap it off and run premix. 32:1 should be sufficient unless you have a manual that tells you different.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    If you're planning to use the trike and are concerned about the oil pump I suggest you top up the oil reservoir and then put 60 to 1 mix in the gas tank and drive it around. If you see the oil reservoir level is going down you know the pump is working. At that point I'd go back to running straight gas in the tank and not worry about the oiling system.

As far as smoke it should always smoke a little, but if the oil pump stops working the damage will be done long before the engine stops smoking, so don't spend too much time sniffing your tail pipe.
    It sucks to get old

--
    The autolube is an amazing design. Pulled 3 motors apart after 27+ years and all 3 had OEM pistons on original bores. All 3 YT's had the autolube in tact and working. Many guys still run this on their blasters without problems. I still have yet to hear about a single system actually fail that wasn't due to something else (neglect, flipping over and air bubbles getting in, no oil, etc). The only reason to get rid of it is if your swapping to a carb that doesn't support it.

Unlike mix ratios where jetting is affected, the auto lube doesn't mess with jetting. No gasoline is displaced for oil. The main thing is to use an oil that is supported for autolube injection.
    I just wanna go fast. If your not first, your last!!
    Reproducing the Tecate CDI. Contact me if you need one. I'm most accessible on FaceBook. You can find me on the 1984-1987 Kawasaki Tecate KXT250 Group.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by RubberSalt View Post
    The autolube is an amazing design. Pulled 3 motors apart after 27+ years and all 3 had OEM pistons on original bores. All 3 YT's had the autolube in tact and working. Many guys still run this on their blasters without problems. I still have yet to hear about a single system actually fail that wasn't due to something else (neglect, flipping over and air bubbles getting in, no oil, etc). The only reason to get rid of it is if your swapping to a carb that doesn't support it.

Unlike mix ratios where jetting is affected, the auto lube doesn't mess with jetting. No gasoline is displaced for oil. The main thing is to use an oil that is supported for autolube injection.
    Thanks for the good info on these pumps. The previous owner is of the same opinion that the autolube is working well. I removed the tube going into the carb to check and see if it was wet -- there is oil in the tube. Should I bleed the system if removing only the small tube going into the carb?

--
    Yeah. Air bubbles in the system = no oil going to the motor.
    I just wanna go fast. If your not first, your last!!
    Reproducing the Tecate CDI. Contact me if you need one. I'm most accessible on FaceBook. You can find me on the 1984-1987 Kawasaki Tecate KXT250 Group.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //