//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I ordered a Lectron

--
    Nice!

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Seems like a high quality piece of metal. I can’t help but wonder how long the float bowl will look new?

It was billed as being plug and play, but I’m not convinced. Ride report pending....
    It sucks to get old

--
    After 3 years of hard riding the bowl is still like new .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D1F2EA7F-FF39-4A51-8637-A1E14B61B309.jpg  
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    Went to the Lectron page last night and saw there was a section on idle speed and how if you’ve run out of adjustment and your idle is still too low that you need to lean out the carb by turning the needle out 1/2 turn.

There a special tool for this that I don’t have yet, but I did it carefully using a rag and some needle nose pliers.

The needle has a flat side that must face the engine and a round side that faces away. Turning the needle 1/2 a turn missed this up, so you then need to push the needle up and out of its seat , rotate it back to where the flat side faces the engine and then let it slip back into the locating grooves.

The hardest part was extracting the slide with the carb on the bike and then getting it back in without damaging the very pricy needle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EE894739-80B3-4F57-B006-774F5B69B3B0.jpeg 
Views:	19 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	259773

Name:	3DD30C8F-A727-444B-8282-228D0443326F.jpeg 
Views:	17 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	259774

Name:	2BF593B8-9B46-46F5-8D27-0077489FE509.jpeg 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	259775

With that done I put gas in it, pulled the choke up and it started on the first kick. It ran without the choke immediately and the idle screw had to be turned out a fair bit to get the revs down.

Took it for a mile long ride through the neighborhood and was immediately struck by how much response it had from an idle. Pretty much lifts the wheel without any clutch or tug on the bars. The other thing that stuck out is how smooth it transitioned when the throttle was rolled on. From almost a dead stop to wide open in second gear there wasn’t a single pop, blubber, or hesitation.

The only thing that seemed a little off was that it didn’t quite rev out the way I’m used to. Probably just a little rich on the top, but that’s an easy external adjustment.

I’ll report back after next weekends ride.
    Last edited by El Camexican; 08-24-2019 at 05:55 PM.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post

There a special tool for this that I don’t have yet, but I did it carefully using a rag and some needle nose pliers.

****(sounds of fingernails raking across a chalkboard.....or maybe the needle of a record player dragging across the vinyl album while the volume is turned up)****

LOL I've been there myself though

That needle shape is something I've never seen. Looks cutting edge. Are the flats tapered? The sides of the needle look parallel to me.

My drag race buddies swear by Lectron carbs but I've never messed with one.
    And also thanks for the great pics!

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ironchop; 08-24-2019 at 04:57 PM.

--
    Yes there is a taper that gradually decreases towards the top of the needle. That last pic could have been better, but I have a genetic shake that plays havoc while trying to get my phone to focus on something small. Probably why I avoid sexting.

About 20 years back all the Pro Stock bike guys switched from modified 41mm Mikuni RS carbs over to 44 mm Lectrons. I think they make them as large as 48mm now.

Anyway, back when they first came out there was something about the consistency of the needles or getting the 4 cable setups synchronized that had guys swearing off using them on multi cylinder engines. Paul Gast was the first big name remember using them and he may have even owned the company at some point.

The one and only guy I knew who was running them on a drag bike in the 80’s was a machinist and he told me that he had to spend a lot of time blueprinting his needles. He said he got them cheap off a guy who had given up on trying to get them to work.

There a video is saw explaining how the needle making process has improved, but I don’t know if it increased performance or just lowered the manufacturing cost.
    It sucks to get old

--
    So I put 15 miles on the bike and the most noticeable change was that it started very easily, but would only rev high enough to go 70mph at 4,000’ of elevation. So I turned in the high end screw 1/2 turn and continued on for another 70 miles getting great mileage and throttle response.

Then with only 10 miles remaining to get to the hotel I pinned it out and hit 83mph. The instant I rolled back on the throttle it sized solid putting me into a skid that got my heart pumping. I let it cool for 15 minutes and then managed to break the piston loose, but I guess I melted it because I have almost no compression. Caught a ride into town on a farmers 81 Dodge, not sure how I’m getting home, but needless to say my Lectron saga is just beginning.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Son of a beyatch! She seized!!??

Hope it's not too bad!!...
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    The nature of a lectron !
    Tune them to their fastest potential and that’s usually a lean condition . Sorry to hear is seized , Hope the cylinder didn’t get damaged .
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    Thanks for the sympathy guys.

I haven't seized a 2 stroke, or even fouled a plug since 1980 something, so not too happy with myself for not being a little more prudent. The signs were there; lots of heat coming off the rads while coasting at 50mph on the highway and dry sounding pops in the pipe whenever I'd back off the throttle. I figure my previous to the pin blast was about 500' higher than the one that did it in and temps were coming down as the sun was setting. Still, I never had to mess with the old Keihin on this route and I recall pinning it out for much longer periods of time coming down that same hill.

So long story short I assume I'm going to need to keep stopping and adjusting the Lectron every time the air density changes a couple thousand feet. Not really what I had in mind, but I do like that I got over 37mpg prior to the incident VS the previous best of 27mpg with the Keihin. It was also suggested that I not hold the bike WOT for extended periods of time, but that seems restrictive.
    It sucks to get old

--
    If there's one thing I've learned with any carb, they usually rob Peter to pay Paul in some area.

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    Everyone's got different opinions but my experience has been the PWK series is the most reliable and "easy" to tune 2 stroke carburetor there is.

Yes, you need some jet assortments, but once it's dialed in it takes a lot of variables to pull it out of that sweet spot to me.

Played around with just about every other carb type and model (not including some super exotic billet like the "smart carb")...with mains, pilots, and just 2-3 needles I feel like I can get a pwk 90-95% there. Never even ordered different slides. Then I cheat the last 5% and adjust that with spark plug heat ranges...

very sorry to hear you seized the bike on the Lectron Nico, you're lucky you were not hurt from the sounds of it. Don't let chasing perfection be the enemy of the good!

--
    I have to agree with you about the PWK’s being easy to tune. My biggest complaint with them is the lack of a pilot jet smaller than 35. In my experience anything over 9,000’ in warm weather and the #35 is too big. If a smaller pilot jet was available and there was some way to make adjusting the needle easier I’d be happy to keep using one, but the jump in mileage the Lecton gave me is well worth whatever learning curve lies ahead.

We have a few routes that have 120 mile fuel gaps. If I can get this carb sorted out and still average 30+ mpg my trips would be a lot less stressful.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Just a tad on the lean side

Name:	A8B69A8B-A71B-4DA5-AD3B-D79F4C4DE80D.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	2.27 MB 
ID:	259868
    It sucks to get old

--
    Not as bad as I expected, but it looks like some of the nikasil chipped off around the port edges. Probably going to have to redo it. Oddly the power valve seems scared up as well. I would have thought there was enough clearance on those to clear even the hottest piston.

Name:	B578A8AC-4E1B-4939-AB05-3BD447F1A63D.jpeg 
Views:	20 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	259869

Name:	17607DBD-06BD-4500-962D-148EF0F603CC.jpeg 
Size:	2.07 MB 
ID:	259870

Name:	8A918534-5B86-49D5-91B6-1C2085388DA8.jpeg