//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: I ordered a Lectron

--
    That sucks, sorry to hear about the issues.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    That sucks, sorry to hear about the issues.
    Thanks, I'm not too concerned about it, sh*t happens and we move on, I just don't want this to be the norm because next time might not happen on a well traveled road.

After looking at the carnage up close I'm starting to think the main issue was a lack of lubrication. The cylinder walls are bone dry as is the top of the piston, the head and the inside of the pipe.

Consider that last year I consumed 4.25 gallons of fuel in 90 miles and had to wait for one of the quad guys to come and give me a couple gallons in order to finish the trip, but this year I made it 101 miles on only 3.42 gallons. That's well over 25% less fuel and a lot less oil per revolution considering that I was mixing at 60:1 both times.

So in my simple way of looking at this, besides richening up the carb, I should probably consider running a 40 or 50:1 oil ratio in the future, just to replace what's absent due to the decrease in fuel consumption.

60:1 is great on the low speed trails, but it's probably not enough to protect an engine on an extended top end blast. It will be interesting to see if there's any oil at all in the cases when I get it opened.

I may also have encouraged this to happen by running a B piston instead of an A piston. Mark at Kustom Kraft likes his tolerances a little looser than I do, so I always ask him for a B piston (or a C piston if I have a little wear) and he often reminds me that I'd better be careful warming things up, I laugh, he takes my card number and life goes on. I think I'll stick with the A size from now on. and maybe add a couple thou to my ring gaps.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Finally got around to driving the piston out of the cylinder. Still waiting for a call back on the “recommended settings” before I use the carb again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	96802B3A-2248-4F8D-98CD-773CE69A8E99.jpeg 
Views:	14 
Size:	2.14 MB 
ID:	260311

Name:	D33ED852-E1F8-48B9-AB08-4C3B2BF7A4FE.jpeg 
Views:	18 
Size:	2.79 MB 
ID:	260312

The cylinder is bad, not sure it can be re-plated without some welding.

--
    Damn man. I am guessing muratic acid and some emery cloth won’t be enough for that cylinder? It chipped the Nik?
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    Quote Originally Posted by yaegerb View Post
    Damn man. I am guessing muratic acid and some emery cloth won’t be enough for that cylinder? It chipped the Nik?
    Not sure what you can see in the photo, but it pulled plating off in a couple spots near the transfer ports. The power-valve also has some deep gouges in it even though there is no damage on that side of the piston, weird, maybe some shrapnel got in there.

Name:	AC6A8C09-E339-46EE-A7E8-362AE0E5875D.jpeg 
Views:	17 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	260323

Slavens emailed me a list of dimensions to check on the carb, so we’ll see if mine was way off, or if this thing is just cursed.

--
    Oooooo, had to blow that one image up. Yeah that’s fubar
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    Quote Originally Posted by yaegerb View Post
    Oooooo, had to blow that one image up. Yeah that’s fubar
    Wiseco makes pistons up to 1mm over for sleeved cylinders, so maybe it can bored out and plated to 73mm? If not I’ll probably end up with a cast sleeve.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    Wiseco makes pistons up to 1mm over for sleeved cylinders, so maybe it can bored out and plated to 73mm? If not I’ll probably end up with a cast sleeve.
    Why not just de-plate, weld-up, re-bore to stock size, & then re-plate?
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    Why not just de-plate, weld-up, re-bore to stock size, & then re-plate?
    Not sure what's going to happen. Welding sounds pricy, so my thought is that if the gouges can be removed by going to 73mm and then plating it my be my cheapest opting. If not I'll probably sleeve it. Kustom Kraft will have to make the decision for me.

HondaRidr is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Did you continue to experiment with the lectron? What are your thoughts on it if you did?

--
    I've been looking at the Lectron and Smart carbs more.

I put a Edelbrock Quicksilver on one of my bikes recently. I think it was designed by the same guy that invented the Lectron, and it also doesn't use jets, just a needle. It does have an accelerator pump though, but no power jet.

The Edelbrock has been out of production for many years now. If something ever happens to it, Lectron is the only carb similar, that's available new.

I'm liking the Edelbrock and it has an externally adjustable needle. In less than a minute, I can adjust it. With the accelerator pump, starting is faster than ever (no choke or enricher needed), idle is super smooth, low and mid power is better, and it seems like fuel economy has improved (need to verify).

It's strangely empty looking under the float bowl. There's nothing there but a float and the portion of the needle tube. No air circuits or anything. Mind blowing how well it works with so few parts.
    Last edited by ATC King; 02-24-2021 at 12:16 PM.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    I know it’s been a while, but two years after smoking an engine on my maiden Lectron voyage I was finally ready to try again on Friday.

Having gone with the theory that if a little is good then more is better the last time I leaned out the carb I’m of the belief that the demise of the last engine was 100% my fault.

So, with the Lectron adjusted back to factory settings plus a slightly richer top end adjustment I took it out Friday morning bolted to a brand new motor and proceeded to drive from about 1400 feet of elevation at 75 Fahrenheit to about 10,000 feet where it was raining and snowing. Of course I had nothing on but a vented jersey and a chest protector, so I literally froze my tits. I’m not sure if any of you have experienced FTS, or frozen tits syndrome, but it hurts like a SOB. The only good thing about it is it a distraction from the fact that you’re going into hypothermia.

So anyway, enough about my tits. The carb performed as advertised. I averaged 32 miles to the gallon and on the way up the mountain the bike felt like it would have at 6,000’ with the Keihin.

The first time I have ever gone up that trail and not felt like the bike was going to stall out. At lower altitude‘s the bottom end is really crisp. It has a few oddities in the mid range that I can’t quite explain, but I’m going to try working with the power valve before making any other carburetor adjustment.

So, basically better starting, better bottom end, much better manners at high altitude, but above three-quarter throttle I think the Keihin makes more power. I don’t drive a whole lot above 3/4 throttle, so the Lectron gets the nod for high altitude trail riding.

More to come…
    It sucks to get old

--
    That's great you got it worked out and didn't just abandon the different technology.

Maybe you've already mentioned, but did you find the idle needed set a touch higher than with a traditional carb?
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post
    Maybe you've already mentioned, but did you find the idle needed set a touch higher than with a traditional carb?
    I’m still not sure what to make of the idle settings.

The needle is adjusted based on what it takes to get the idle set right in the middle and it is exactly how they said to set it now. The idle drops a bit at higher altitudes and goes up at lower altitudes just like the stocker, but definitely idles smoother at low RPM than it did with the stock carburetor and you can close the choke immediately after it starts if temps are over 70F.

I “might” be able to lean it out one more turn, but I’m going to consult with Lectron before I do something stupid again.
    It sucks to get old

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //