//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I ordered a Lectron

--

I ordered a Lectron

Called JD Jetting on Friday and very politely asked the man that answered the phone if he would take my order for a needle. His response was the most condescending speech I’ve heard in over 30 years. Went on and on about how I need to buy a kit if I want that particular needle and how they NEVER sell individual parts.

When he finished his speech I told him a nice lady took my call a couple years back and sold me that same needle all by itself. After all but calling me a liar in another two minute undressing I politely told him I didn’t need all the brass that comes in his kits and to have a nice day. I then called Slavens Racing where they were more than happy to take my money and send me a tracking number for a 38mm Lectron 10 minutes later.

I’ll spend a grand testing Keihin needles before I give those pricks at JD another cent.

Long distance ride report coming in September.
    Last edited by El Camexican; 07-16-2019 at 12:40 AM.
    It sucks to get old

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    I hear ya on that, and have experienced the same crap.

Anyway, your title says "I ordered a Lectron", so what exactly does this all mean, and is it that super duper "jetless" carb that theoretically doesn't need needle changes etc?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by barnett468 View Post
    I hear ya on that, and have experienced the same crap.

Anyway, your title says "I ordered a Lectron", so what exactly does this all mean, and is it that super duper "jetless" carb that theoretically doesn't need needle changes etc?
    Yep. One of those no muss, no fuss jetless carbs. I'm tired of jetting a week in advance of a ride based on known elevation ranges and unknown weather conditions. Always hit and miss. one weekend you nail it and the next you're off with the same set-up on the same ride. The pilot and main are easy, I have those memorized for the conditions we ride in, its the needles and their settings that make or break the set-up and require witchcraft to pick prior to the ride date. The JD Jetting Blue jet that's recommended for the 1998 to 2003 250 KTM works pretty well on my 300 at the leanest clip position on warm days, so I wanted another one for a 3rd engine I have. They don't want to sell it on its own, so I'm going to try the Lectron and if it works as advertised I may get another.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lectron-Carburetor[1].jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	254.2 KB 
ID:	259317
    It sucks to get old

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    Pardon my ignorance, but who or what is JD, besides John Deere?
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Scootertrash View Post
    It's a company owned by a guy named James Dean that sells kits of jets that include (in my case) a pilot jet, 5 mains and two needles to tune your bike with.

It's a good deal if you don't own any amount of brass, or have a clue where to begin when jetting a bike, as the individual parts would cost over $90 bucks, but in the end you only use $35 worth of his parts at a time. I've accumulated a few pounds of brass over the years and was only interested in the needle which is his specialty and the part he was unwilling to sell. Last time they charged me $20 + shipping for the needle and we called it a day.
    It sucks to get old

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    Yep. One of those no muss, no fuss jetless carbs. I'm tired of jetting a week in advance of a ride based on known elevation ranges and unknown weather conditions. Always hit and miss. one weekend you nail it and the next you're off with the same set-up on the same ride. The pilot and main are easy, I have those memorized for the conditions we ride in, its the needles and their settings that make or break the set-up and require witchcraft to pick prior to the ride date. The JD Jetting Blue jet that's recommended for the 1998 to 2003 250 KTM works pretty well on my 300 at the leanest clip position on warm days, so I wanted another one for a 3rd engine I have. They don't want to sell it on its own, so I'm going to try the Lectron and if it works as advertised I may get another.
    Once you get the LECTRON dialed in, it will be better over a wider range of elevations and weather conditions but it can take some time to dial it in if it doesn't have the right needle in it for your app right right off the bat, in which case you will need to get a different needle, but I'm guessing you already know all this, but just in case.

As far as having to order an entire kit from the clown, here's one for ya. When you buy a spanking new Edelbrock carburetor for four hundred friggen dollars, in the majority of the cases, you also need to buy their $65.00 jetting kit just to get it to work half way decently and even them it still can't be tuned perfectly because thy do not make the jets and needles needed to jet it perfectly. I can jet them but if the parts I need are not in the kit it will never be perfect, and I literally gave a brand new one away that I removed from an engine I was working on because I hate them soooo much.

--
    saw a 250r with a cr500 engine with a lectron on CL the other day. first i heard of it, so I looked them up, seems like it’s a carb with essentially dial-a-jet built in.

https://nh.craigslist.org/snw/d/belm...934050905.html

--
    I know you get what you pay for but Christ almighty.....Those things are pricey!
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

--
    I came in here to see a f***ing Lectron....

Where the f**k is the Lectron?

On a side note, I built a Triumph Bonneville with a pair of Wal Phillips 'fuel injectors' on it. Get summa that! It doesn't get much more primitive than that

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post

On a side note, I built a Triumph Bonneville with a pair of Wal Phillips 'fuel injectors' on it. Get summa that! It doesn't get much more primitive than that

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk
    I'll text you a copy of the invoice, that's the best I can do at the moment.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    I know you get what you pay for but Christ almighty.....Those things are pricey!
    Think of it this way...

$250 for a new 38mm Keihin AS. $100 for the brass and needles to tune it. Want to try a different slide? $180 bones. You don't want to be pulling out your tool kit on the trail to get a screw driver out to adjust your air screw or idle every 20 minutes going up the hill, so add another $40 for finger tip adjuster screws and you're already at $570 and you still need to dick with it if the air density changes more than 2,000'.

If this works as advertised I may have to stop being penny smart and dollar stupid and get another one. Seems the new EFI on KTM two strokes is not what we all hoped for, so this may be as good as it gets for the old smokers.

The Lectrons come set up for specific engines, so minimal tuning is expected, just set the idle they say.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Looking forward to your full report on this carburetor!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Scootertrash View Post
    Jack Daniels

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post

Name:	EF0EEEBA-4C29-4381-8AC4-40F6E93AB2D5.jpeg 
Views:	29 
Size:	2.38 MB 
ID:	259719

Name:	BB47F5A3-2877-4B84-866D-DC4EA97560DB.jpeg 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	259720

Name:	75564880-BAD7-4A60-A647-359E690E2AD3.jpeg 
Views:	26 
Size:	2.20 MB 
ID:	259721

Name:	A3DCE298-02A7-4E2E-9D1D-5F0643917E5A.jpeg 
Views:	29 
Size:	2.29 MB 
ID:	259722

Name:	FFA8D17A-20C8-4198-9F75-8485DEBED7BF.jpeg 
Views:	27 
Size:	2.24 MB 
ID:	259723

Name:	D2DADC8D-B183-4FFC-BE2A-8DB0C50886C7.jpeg 
Views:	28 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	259724

Tad shorter than the Keihin, made it a little easier to install.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Beauty eh?
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //