//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Honda Fat Cat and Yamaha Big Wheel

--

Honda Fat Cat and Yamaha Big Wheel

Anyone have any experience with these ? I found some and wondering if they are worth fixing up ? Both with engine problem's .
    our original 85 we bought new, 2 - 86 police specials
    250r dust runner
    04 Yamaha kodiaK 450 snowbuster ! Brute Force 750 dust collector .
    Bunch of es stuff I been buying for next builds....
    Gone but lives on in my aching body the mighty 350x collection . A Beat 85 es im gonna rebuild

--
    I don't know much about the Yamaha, but the Honda has a similar engine to the 200 series 3 wheeler engines (86-87 ATC200X). They are pretty neat machines, quite unique and such. Pretty sure they are desirable, similar to the 3 wheelers, but don't really know prices or anything, never seen one for sale local to me, but I haven't exactly been looking for one either. I've read they are a good trail bike, can handle mud, sand dunes etc pretty well. Basically anywhere where high flotation is desired (aka fat tires).

If I ran across one for cheap, I'd probably grab it to fix up. Worst case, could fix it and resell, or if it's really bad, I'm pretty sure they part out well.
    Last edited by ps2fixer; 07-24-2019 at 11:33 AM.

--
    I’ve had a few of each come threw my shop , parts are hard to come by and expensive when you do .
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    Fatcat’s are a better rider than big wheel 200’s the fat rear tire pulls you around on rutted trails
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

--
    I’ll correct you ps2
    The fatcat engine is more related to the 86/87 200x. The topend will swap but if I remember correctly the decomp system is different or non existent on the fatcat? The bottom end is similiar to the 86-88? Trx200sx atv but has a different but similiar right case cover and internals due to the kicker on the fatcat.
    I’m always on the search for a fatcat but pretty non-existent around here, (dustrunner) get it if u can. Mass isn’t to far away if u decide not to keep it

Shep
    Last edited by Shep1970; 07-24-2019 at 09:37 AM.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Shep1970 View Post
    I’ll correct you ps2
    The fatcat engine is more related to the 86/87 200x. The topend will swap but if I remember correctly the decomp system is different or non existent on the fatcat? The bottom end is similiar to the 86-88? Trx200sx atv but has a different but similiar right case cover and internals due to the kicker on the fatcat.
    I’m always on the search for a fatcat but pretty non-existent around here, (dustrunner) get it if u can. Mass isn’t to far away if u decide not to keep it

Shep
    Ahh ok, I knew it was one or the other on the 200 series.

--
    The Yamaha is more common, and I'd say, easier to get parts for.

If you really want to ride it; Yamaha.
    If you want something in left field, just to own; Honda

I have a BW200. It the early version, kick start only. The engine is a direct swap with a XT200, but the primary and maybe, transmission gearing is different. The XT200 is also set up for DC power, but runs the CDI fine on the BW200. On the CDI, they're just as prone to failure as any, and rare, expensive, for the BW. No longer available through Yamaha.

The BW is a manual trans, and the Honda semi auto.

The absolute biggest problem on the BW is the jackshaft. It uses a full on, wide rear ATV tire, so Yamaha engineered it with a jackshaft, to move the chain outboard. There's a Yamaha BW thread in 'Thumpers' on Advrider.com. The jackshaft is adjusted by eccentric, and they're problematic. There's an aftermarket solution in the ADV thread. Also, the jackshaft chain is sooooo short, that a halflink is oftern needed to get the adjustment correct on anything but a new chain.

A Tri-Z font end is a popular BW upgrade.

The FatCat and BigWheel were primarily built for sand riding, but they do well in snow too. Absolutely horribly handing on anything hard, especially at speed. Twisty pavement is outright dangerous and requires some real muscling. They look like a motorcycle, but turn like an ATV...sort of. Still, fun to ride. If they stall out in deep water, it's very difficult to get off of them, because they'll float up every time the rider tries to lift their leg.

I think, overall, the Yamaha is faster, and easier to get parts for. Again, rider = Yamaha. They're both pretty small bikes, and anyone near six feet or taller is going to be cramped riding them.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    broken kicker cover = guy said the kick starter got stuck on the shock and somehow cracked the case from what looks like a inner protusion outward by kicker shaft ? and not available thru Yamaha on the big wheel, honda was set up and seller took it all apart and got it freed up and reassembled it without gaskets to see if it would start = he said it did .
    our original 85 we bought new, 2 - 86 police specials
    250r dust runner
    04 Yamaha kodiaK 450 snowbuster ! Brute Force 750 dust collector .
    Bunch of es stuff I been buying for next builds....
    Gone but lives on in my aching body the mighty 350x collection . A Beat 85 es im gonna rebuild

--
    Sounds like a dice roll on either. Why I've sworn off buying non running stuff, basket cases. Unless it's for parts only.

The original engine in my BW had the kicker side welded up in several places. The guy who had it before me, rode it like that for years, and very hard. He never had a problem with it. We rode together a lot.

As long as all the pieces are there, it isn't too big of an issue to have it welded back. Depends on the actual damage.

Honda was seized to the point the engine needed disassembled? How many bearings and gears have rust pitting that's going to rear it's head sooner or later?

I don't know of any direct FatCat engine swap, where the whole shebang will go right in and operate, but the XT200 will on the BW. Supposedly, a Blaster engine will fit. I can't confirm the modifications needed or if it's direct. Maybe the rear fits, but the engine being much shorter, will need a new mount for the top.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //