//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Engine run crazy fast after start

--

Engine run crazy fast after start

Greeting to you all,

I am new to this website. Looks like the right place to seek advice.

I installed a new carb into 1984 Honda ATC 200M, clean gas tank, put the best gas in it, put a new battery in.

Push the Start Button, and this machine comes alive, but run to the maximum speed. I have never run this engine this fast. Scare the s&^% out of me.

So folks, I adjusted the idle speed slow, but it is still running extremely fast as soon as it started. Can you folks offer me some advice how to slow this machine down.

1984 Honda ATC 200M

--
    chinese carb?
    it probably be best to get an original honda and rebuild it, or if you still have the old one rebuild that.
    i once had a 1984 trx200 that i when i got it- the tank was empty so i got some gas and pulled it and it started the same as you described- the engine revving high enough to greatly concern someone. i changed the spark plug and it started up and idled normally. why? i don’t know. is that something that is common? i don’t know. just an idea.

so maybe start with a new plug and if that doesn’t change it rebuild the original (if you have it, or get a used one) carb- the slide needle and the float valve needle for starters. a bowl gasket would be a good idea. and take the jets (brass hexagons inside when you take the bowl off) out and spray carb cleaner through the top and bottom putting a finger over each opposite end you are spraying through, and then pretty much any hole in the carb spray a good amount of cleaner through those too. a box of disposable gloves is a good idea for this. You’ll go trough a bunch as the carb cleaner ruins them quickly. I probably go through 10 or 20 of them when I clean or rebuild a carb.

200m’s are a good trike, had one for a while, traded it though, usually on the look out for another, gotta love anything with electric start

--
    Another thing to check is to make sure that the carb slide is in correctly. You can install them 180 degrees out and they will run like this. I do agree with the OEM carbs only.

--
    Also. Make sure the throttle cable is routed properly
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'83 200X

Chicks love guys that ride trikes

--
    Your throttle slide is 180 off or your cable is hanging up. Has nothing to do with being Chinese. If it runs like crap and can't be tuned out to run good once this problem is sorted out. That is the chinese part Some have great luck with them! Some do not.
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    Thank you all for your replies.
    The throttle body wasn't sitting properly.
    It is now in the right orientation and this make this old man happy and young again.
    Glad to find this site.

Cheers

--
    And it's SO easy to do.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //