//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 350x regulator picture and location

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
    The XL600 regulators are quite a lot cheaper, correct wiring, and specs should be right. I just grabbed one for $20 off ebay for a spare. I'll try it on my 350x if anyone needs more proof it works, that part is a great find for a cheaper alt.
    Good deal. I guess you bought a used one? The only new ones on Ebay are the reg/rec for the DC. There's just universal ones listed for the AC.

The OE one I took off was still good, I just wanted something adjustable. I've got a couple of those Yamaha generic ones laying around that I've use, like the one on my YTM200 right now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Blaster-200-1988-2006-Voltage-Regulator/264731005927?hash=item3da33293e7:grgAAOSwFlhevb2r

The case is aluminum. They are one wire, so the case has to be grounded.

On the AC horns and turn signals, that's mostly old European stuff, so if you see something in the US that has that, it was probably a personal or small quantity import. Not worth bothering with, kind of like 6V systems, just upgrade and be done.

Yes, most of the trikes use seperate systems for the ignition and headlight, so they have two systems, but many of them use separate coils in the stator. If the lighting portion s out, you don't have to replace the whole stator, just that coil. That's my gripe with the XL600R and similar machines, any one of those going out requires the entire stator to be replaced.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by MrConcdid View Post
    Does anyone know of a workable replacement for a missing 350x 2 wire voltage regulator?
    Can I use a 4 wire and reconfigure it? or maybe a 2 wire off another bike or brand?
    My 350x was missing the regulator.
    Thanks
    MrC.
    A quick 3 min search i found 3 oem off something else that the part# crosses too.
    maybe i misunderstood what your looking for though?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	238E2D21-EEF2-4996-AD17-55B02FE85390.jpeg 
Views:	8 
Size:	206.6 KB 
ID:	264723 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3B368259-10D4-4EF2-9AD1-247A23884780.jpg 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	264724 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6F8ABF2F-0112-4B52-A99B-EC642D73EF06.jpg 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	264725 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A80743B2-02E0-449B-A683-CD06DCBF93B4.jpg 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	264726

shep

--
    Thanks shep,
    I'm not sure how to take your post, but I will answer it the way it struck me,

I searched for more than 3 min, and on 4 different platforms (www.3wheelerworld.com, ebay, amazon and Honda Horders (FB))
    None of those you listed say 350x,( I would have no idea if they would work properly or not) was I to just assume any Honda regulator with 2 wires would work?
    None of those you listed populate when I search for the part number 31400-KG0-008 which is the part number for a 350x voltage regulator.
    I searched for: 350x regulator, 350x Voltage regulator, 31400-KG0-008 and found nothing new/or any new replacement item, and none of the 3 you found came up either.
    All of those you listed are used, as a general rule, I do not like to buy used electronics. (unless I really must)
    I was looking for a new replacement or adaptable voltage regulator or possibly a work around to use one of the many 4 wires V.R. I already had laying around.

Thank you shep for looking for me, unless it was just to point out you "think" I didn't try looking first before asking the board.
    Your searching skills are much better than mine.

MrC.
    mrc_builds on YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmw...confirmation=1

My Addiction
    85 200m "Tallahassee"
    84 200x "SouthPort"
    84 200x "Van Halen"
    84 250r "lucky"
    85 250sx "Enterprise"
    85 350x "The Money Pit"
    85 350x Code Red
    86 250r "Unicorn"
    86 trx250r
    88 Lt250r Suzuki

mrc_builds saves trikes like Jimmy Swaggart saved souls back in the day -said Patriot1

--
    I found a source for new regulators for the XL600R. I've been working with the dealer a bit on some questions and building up an order for him and found out he can get them. Checking prices and such but based on other things they should be quite affordable. Interesting it has the wrong terminals in the photo, but I can fix that. I'll grab a few and test them on my 350x too. If the 350x can't burn them up, then they will work for any 3 wheeler with a similar lighting system (single phase AC, no battery).

Here's a pic of it, far left one.

I was looking up a different year for the regulator part number, didn't notice the 350x was listed along side some of the smaller bikes.

For the blaster voltage regulator, sadly the service manual doesn't give a max capacity for the stator. Most I could base it on is the bulb wattage + a little overhead which is around 100w. Also for testing, the spec is 13.5-14.1v, seems like the Honda ones generally spec a little higher for the max voltage. I've killed a few voltage regulators with my 350x testing aftermarket ones. In my case I was using regulator/rectifiers, the rectifier part still worked, just it would go to 50+ volts on the lighting system lol.

Also, yes I bought the stock/used XL600R regulator, the aftermarket/generic one can be had from China for tons cheaper I'm sure.

@MrC

Shep looked up the stock part number, found it fits the XL250/XL350 and searched for that machine. If it says 350x on it or any 3 wheeler model, the price generally is inflated a lot. Voltage regulators I wouldn't be scared of buying used, there's hardly any parts inside to go bad. The CDI's on the other hand have capacitors that don't age well. On top of being a pretty reliable part, if it doesn't function within spec, you can get a refund on ebay since they are listed as "used" which means a functioning part.
    Last edited by ps2fixer; 10-20-2020 at 06:43 PM.

--
    The part 31400-KG0-008 was replaced with 31410-HA5-671. Honda released a service bulletin in July 1986 instructing dealers to replace the part as a warranty item. The replacement part is to help eliminate voltage surges which would blow headlight bulbs at high RPM's.

New ones turn up on ebay from time to time but they go for 150-200 if you find one, like this one in Europe...
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Regulateurs...sAAOSwi4lahrGG
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3825.jpeg  

--
    The ones ps2fixer posted for the xl600r look promising and I would imagine they would be cheaper to get a hold of if his testing goes ok.

--
    That's interesting on the service bulletin. I just went out and checked my 350x voltage regulator... it's one of those generic square ones and it's been on there for quite a while.

I checked over the service manual, looks like the 350x spec is 13.5-14.5v, it states to just start the engine and measure and of course it has a ohms test. I'll check the numbers when I get mine and make sure it doesn't build up excess heat and such. Planning to put one of the aftermarket ones on since I have a generic one currently.

Anything else I should watch out for?

--

Thumbs up

It's just good some conversation and manufacturer info in this thread. Used electrical parts, are used electrical parts, and at some point, there needs to be updated, tested, information on viable new ones.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Update from the supplier for the regulator specs.... "proprietary information and cannot be released". That doesn't seem logical to me, maybe it's more along the lines they are an exact reproduction of the OEM parts so they don't know what it's engineered to handle. I was going to buy a regulator/rectifier model too, but I'm going to hold off on it and stick with the voltage regulator I posted above.

I probably should make a thread about these so I'm not hijacking another thread. Just wanted to give an update on them. I'm grabbing 3-5 of them to test out and if they work out well, I'll sell the excess and order more. They seem reasonable to work with so I could probably get them to manufacture the terminals and wire length to my spec so I don't have to modify the part.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //