//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 185S engine on a mini bike

--

185S engine on a mini bike

So I picked up a little mini bike for a song last nite. Ironchop & Barnes got my gears turning a while back; posting pics of mini bikes. The simplistic stripped down ones popular in 70's and 80's. I am currently building an engine that I don't have a 3 wheeler to put it on....so I am thinking Uhh ohh. LOL!!

Two questions:

To get the engine in the frame it looks like I am going to have to tilt whole engine forward about 20 degrees. Wonder if there's any long term effects from the engine sitting like that? The way the 110 & 125 engines are...I wouldn't think so.

Could a person use the crankcase vent to power a Mikuni fuel pump? Typically they are powered from pressure relieved from the valve cover. I'm thinking the pressure from the crankcase would be significantly higher. Maybe I could put a Y connection in the line and play with that to adjust how much pressure hits the fuel pump.
    I need to get some kind of pump going and would rather NOT go electric. The way I intend to fab up a fuel tank, It won't gravity feed.

I have a mock up motor I put together. I tore it down and took all the guts out except the shift shaft. It's a LOT lighter and it'll let me get everything built, mounts, exhaust and what not without mucking up my "pretty" motor I am building now.

IF I can get it in there and lined up right...BIG IF, it should be a badazz mini bike for sure. I'm having my doubts about getting the engine in there at all and getting the chain in alignment, but I'm gonna try! Pics coming soon as I get started on it.
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

--
    I'm not certain, but aren't those fuel pumps vacuum operated?

--
    There's one on my generator that's got three lines. Fuel in/out obviously and the 3rd goes to the valve cover. No vacuum there so I will just use the same kind. It's pressure operated.
    No different than a vacuum operated one really, you just feed the diaphragm and make it move which pumps the gas.

--
    Gabriel, minibikes get really squirrelly (steering) above 20mph. I think it has do do with the fork angle somewhat. Not to mention the braking system you’d have to (upgrade to hydro disc)
    It’d be a neat project but I think the heat coming off the head would be burning your right thigh due to engine pushed to the right to line up the sprockets.
    Save that engine for your next 3-wheeler
    Head down to your nearest harbor freight for about $120 you get a 6-1/2 hp bolt in and go
    You could be cruisin’ your neighborhood by Saturday.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	96346379-B1DA-4054-BE60-B993692DDFE6.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	259760

Shep
    Ps-Don’t get me wrong I’d like to see a 185 in a mini bike
    Last edited by Shep1970; 08-22-2019 at 04:25 PM.

--
    I'm just gonna have to see how it looks with the mock up motor stuck in there.

Hey...you mess with me and I will stick that '87 Husqvarna TC510 engine in there. ......ummm...yeah. No. LOL!!!

If it fits and suits me, I may cannibalize the front hydraulic disk from the HUsqvarna and see if I can't make it work on the sprocket. Maybe not..Just a thought.

As far as control, they only get squirrely if you act stupid. (I'm in trouble)
    I imagine a proper sprocket ratio would allow me to just about leave the thing in 3rd gear indefinitely.

--
    Good luck, wish I could help on the fuel pump system u need. I know the Suzuki alt 125/185 have pumps and one of the lines is plumbed into the intake between carb and head but that’s all I know, and if I took it apart I’d probably never get it back together right.

Just use a yamaha yt60 tank mounted in your lap/well in front of on the rail

Shep

--
    OK, Monster Moto mini bike with some bent azz forks. I can fix that no problem.
    Pulled the WTF engine and chunked it.

Stuck my mock up motor in there. There's a very clear line drawn between what is possible and what is actually worth doing. I'm gonna ponder this a minute but most likely.....this is a no. LOL!!!
    I can stand the engine up a lot more if I cut the motor mount plate out of the frame.
    What a bad mofo it would be though! HA!!!

There's some major hurdles here that I'm not convinced I wanna tackle. Intake and exhaust are the biggest. Getting the engine in, sitting more upright and mounted not so much. Fuel supply is another. Pretty sure I've talked myself out of this one unless some serious inspiration hits me.

--
    I know where the PERFECT engine for this thing is sitting right now and the bass turd won't sell it to me. Right up the street there's an early 80's XR80 sitting in a barn. Been there 20 years. I've asked 2 dozen times...."I'll think about it an let you know."
    What a dumbazz to just let it rot but hey...it's his. He can do as he pleases.

This thing would rock with a freshly rebuilt XR80 engine.

--
    Isn't is awesome when you're NOT looking for a solution and one just presents itself?

So this engine won't fit [reasonably]
    I was just given one of those godawful fugly Baja mini bikes. A little bigger.....JUST big enough. Woot! Project back on. Pics coming soon.

These things have potential but they need soe serious redesign. The front sits way too high and the triangle seat is just NASTY. Coolest part......It has a 200cc predator engine that is not locked up but has no compression. SO...we put the 185s on the Baja....rebuild the predator and slap that puppy on the little mini. Both should be downright evil.

Between this, finishing the last touches on the Goblin and the 200x I ain't even started, my winter project schedule just got booked solid.

I think leveling the ride height, adding the 185 engine, upgrading the brakes to something more significant and using some fatter tires could turn this into a Redneck FatCat...............or...I could add some pillow blocks and a gokart axle for super retard trike. Suits my personality.

--
    What's more...I think this plastic Clarke Desert tank could possibly fit this frame too with some fancy dancin'.

Shtoopid is my middle name and here's a picture of it.

--
    OHH!!! Just had an idea!!
    Picture it...Sicily..1922..

No seriously....Get the engine in and brakes and all mechanical solid and safe. I have a windshield that clamps to the handle bars.....use two ammo cans for saddle bag compartments. Several other possible details..............Build a 1/2 scale Honda Goldwing! LOL!!!!
    THat would be so ridiculously stupid it might come full circle and actually be cool.

--
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	91D13B12-5654-4937-99CE-90F22DBD9279.jpeg 
Views:	5 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	259787 .

I guess I’ll be watchin’
    Shep

Be sure to upgrade the dolly/wheelbarrow wheel bearings it has to the sealed high speed ones/ just like these (pic) they fit same as stock
    Just a suggestion while you have it apart.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AB784177-10AE-41E0-AFFE-CF25D7291C45.jpeg 
Views:	5 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	259788
    Last edited by Shep1970; 08-26-2019 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Seriously though, good luck. Could be fun

--
    Watching what....The Tennessee obituaries? LOL!!!!!

--
    For what it's worth, the bike had a 200cc Predator engine and the Engine going in will be a 200S bottom end with a 185 cylinder. I had a NOS piston, stock ratio. It'll be stock everything so not exactly a fireball.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //