//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Leaky valve cover 200E

--

Leaky valve cover 200E

The 200E I built recently just developed a very tiny leak on the valve cover. After an hour or so of riding the top of the head over the exhaust where the cover meets is 'greasy'. No puddles. Never leaks enough to drip down and smoke.
    This is frustrating. I really don't want to pull the motor but there's no way to pull the cover unless you do and then I don't trust the head gasket because you release the torque to the head and base gasket when you pull the valve cover.

If that's what HAS to be done to fix it right, I will. I'm going to try adding either some lucas to the oil or running a thicker oil. 10w30 in it now. I ran 20W50 religiously in my XL200 back in high school. NEVER had an issue. If I knew it wouldn't get worse I'd leave it alone. It's not any trouble to wipe off with a shop rag when I put the machine up but leaks only ever get worse with time. THis leak is very slight (now) ...You can literally wipe it all off with your fingertip.

Thoughts welcome.
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

--
    Smear some ‘The Right Stuff’ on the area that’s leaking.

The sell it at Autozone
    It sucks to get old

--
    Honda bond HT and it wouldn’t have leaked
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    HA!!! That messy azz Honda bond IS what I used for the valve cover. I had no other silicone on hand and since it doesn't use a gasket, the aviation cement I actually LIKE to use won't work.

The leak is right at the point there where the WONDERFUL Hondabonda squished out the most. There was a good even layer on the whole assembly. I just walked outside and threw the remaining tube away. Don't care what ya'll say. That stuff is garbage.

Last edited by Gabriel; 08-25-2019 at 02:21 PM.

--
    It’s all about prepping the surfaces , I wipe the surfaces down with mineral spirits right before .
    I have 34 years as a power sports mechanic and never an issue so I guarantee you it was poor usage on your part .
    Must be hondabond HT not regular Hondabond .
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    87 atc 125m stock

--
    Quote Originally Posted by shortline10 View Post
    It’s all about prepping the surfaces , I wipe the surfaces down with mineral spirits right before .
    I have 34 years as a power sports mechanic and never an issue so I guarantee you it was poor usage on your part .
    I use it too, whenever I can’t find Yamabond. Never a problem with either. I spray carb cleaner on a rag and wipe before applying.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Quote Originally Posted by shortline10 View Post
    Agree on the first part. Disagree on the second.
    Every part of this engine was meticulously detailed. The cam journals were masked and the head and valve cover were glass beaded. The mating surfaces were spotless. I followed the instructions on the Hondabond packaging. There's product 'squished' out all around the seam which means there was plenty on it.

...but sheet happens and people make mistakes. I have made plenty and many more to come. I just don't feel this is one of them.

I'm going back to Permatex Ultra black. It has never leaked on anything I have ever sealed with it. Including ATC200 valve covers.

--
    Honda assemble their motors with this product from the factory and a lot of the newer Honda motors don’t use gaskets at all , if hondabond didn’t work their would be a bunch of leaking motors out their lol .
    The only explanation for your leak is not a defective product but poor preparation of mating surfaces . But I’m sure you will never admit to it !
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    87 atc 125m stock

--
    My thought would be to dab that stuff on, instead of wiping or smearing it on.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //