//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 1984 honda 250r Swing arm pivot bolt

--

1984 honda 250r Swing arm pivot bolt

I bought this bike completely torn apart, I powder coated almost everything a buffed out the rest, but realized there was no swing arm pivot bolt , spacer and nut. So I am now looking online and cant find one anywhere , and the ones I've seen sell have been for nearly $100 for just the bolt!! Crazy! Anyone have any idea how to solve this problem? Know a place that has them for hopefully less, or any homemade solution for me?(I'm not a really skilled mechanic / machinest either lol :] )

Thank you guys again!

Part number (I think) 90117-964-000

--
    They're not cheap if you remember our earlier conversation. I had to pay $80 for one good enough so that I could copy it.

--
    Yeah I do remember! I figured it's just a bolt so I thought I could find one cheaper but NOPE! the guy I bought my bike from said he should have one and has been looking for a week thru his stuff to find it, I don't have Hope's he will.

Do you happen to have measurements or know where I could find measurements , I may just go down to a machine shop and just see what they may charge.

Also saw a forum where someone bought a 14mm bolt that was longer for another bike for about $20, and took to a shop to get it cut and re threaded . Maybe that's a possibility if i knew the dimensions

Thank you! Btw the bushings are perfect!

--
    A machine shop is going to be way more than just buying a used one and any shop that is for profit probably won't take on a job that small. It cost more in measuring, setup time, and materials than you'd be willing to pay for one bolt. As far as another bolt working, the oem bolt is 15mm diameter and I just don't know of another bolt that could be modified? The brake pedal portion is like no other pivot bolt I know of?

Keep an eye out on FleeceBay and if you see one under $80, jump on it. I think there is one on there right now for $130?

Once I get my big lathe running the way I want it, I plan on making some out of stainless. I've got one I made and a bushed brake pedal that goes with it, but it will only work with this brake pedal since the diameter of the brake pedal end is smaller than oem. I did this to eliminate the slop in the brake pedal after it wears the inside where the seals ride.

--
    I agree with that assessment^^^

I'm a machinist until next week for 20+ yrs in a job shop which is precisely the kind of shop you'd need to do the job for you. I can tell you that here in town, the cheapest shop would be $150 for something like that for a single piece. If you ordered 1000 of them, that four hours worth of setup and dickin around ordering material, handling, etc @$65/hr shop rate for one part, could be absorbed into the individual price of 1000 pcs.

I'm quitting machining, so I'm not interested, but I wouldn't have touched it for less than $150.

I feel your pain, though. Alot of these swingarm bolts got destroyed trying to remove the swingarm. They were never serviced and they rusted till they were stuck. That's the reason for the shortage and the subsequent price point. Front axles also face a similar issue in these trikes. A little grease goes a long way

Just some things to consider.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by bkm View Post
    Hey btw Bryan that shaft looks fantastic and the finish looks professional. Bravo!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    Hey btw Bryan that shaft looks fantastic and the finish looks professional. Bravo!

Thanks man. I'm a borderline hack with this thing, but it turned out okay. I was using a hss cutting tool. On my bigger lathe I'm going to try carbide and see how that works.

--
    Thank you guys! Sounds like I'll just wait till I find one on ebay or somewhere else lol. My whole build is at a stand still now haha.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackrwesty View Post
    Thank you guys! Sounds like I'll just wait till I find one on ebay or somewhere else lol. My whole build is at a stand still now haha.
    Buy one from BKM when he makes them.....I plan to buy some of his bushings for my 82

--
    I've got the one I bought to copy I'd sell for what I have in it, which is $80. I just found out ATC heaven sells a stainless bolt for $140.

--
    I thought the 400ex swing arm bolt is the same? No?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by dvx400 View Post
    I thought the 400ex swing arm bolt is the same? No?

Nope......

--
    Quote Originally Posted by bkm View Post
    Nope......
    Sorry, but what about the 85 n 86? I could have swore I seen a 400ex swingarm pivot bolt being the same as 86 trx or atc. I'm sure a dealer told me this, But I'd take your word over theirs anyday lol

--
    Quote Originally Posted by dvx400 View Post
    Sorry, but what about the 85 n 86? I could have swore I seen a 400ex swingarm pivot bolt being the same as 86 trx or atc. I'm sure a dealer told me this, But I'd take your word over theirs anyday lol

We're not talking about the 85-86 250r.

--
    Anyone who has made parts on a mill and lathes knows how easy it is to chew up tons of time.

I don't charge much per hour in my shop, but others demand 125$ an hour and up just to start.

That's why I bought my own equipment and built my own shop, they have paid for themselves many times over...
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //