//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 1983 Yamaha YT125

--

Cool 1983 Yamaha YT125

Hello everyone, thanks for viewing. I just purchased a 1983 yt125 a couple of weeks ago that hasn't been ran for over ten years. I've got all the expired gas out of the tank and cleaned it, I cleaned the petcock fuel valve and replaced the fuel line to the carb with a brand new fuel filter as well. The plug is a new NGK and I can confirm spark. My pullstarter recoil spring broke so I ordered a new one and I'm going to figure out how to instal that this weekend. I've got it to start and run for about 3 seconds. Tons of smoke which can be expected as its sat for so long. I also have old oil residue making it's way out of the tail pipe and leaking in three different spots. I bought a top end gasket kit and plan on taking the engine off of the frame and working on it / cleaning it up on my work bench. Any tips or suggestions on what I should look for? I'll pull the head inspect the rings and piston and install a new gasket if all looks well. I've also read about crank shaft seals? But I'm having a hard time finding a reputable place online to purchase them. Can anyone guide me in the right direction on that at well? Other than these minor things it's a clean ride plastics are in great condition, original stickers still intact and the seat is immaculate so I'm excited to get this bad boy running! Oh yeah I also need a source for rear drum brakes as I want to replace them. Thanks again!!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by VernySanders View Post
    Hello everyone, thanks for viewing. I just purchased a 1983 yt125 a couple of weeks ago that hasn't been ran for over ten years. I've got all the expired gas out of the tank and cleaned it, I cleaned the petcock fuel valve and replaced the fuel line to the carb with a brand new fuel filter as well. The plug is a new NGK and I can confirm spark. My pullstarter recoil spring broke so I ordered a new one and I'm going to figure out how to instal that this weekend. I've got it to start and run for about 3 seconds. Tons of smoke which can be expected as its sat for so long. I also have old oil residue making it's way out of the tail pipe and leaking in three different spots. I bought a top end gasket kit and plan on taking the engine off of the frame and working on it / cleaning it up on my work bench. Any tips or suggestions on what I should look for? I'll pull the head inspect the rings and piston and install a new gasket if all looks well. I've also read about crank shaft seals? But I'm having a hard time finding a reputable place online to purchase them. Can anyone guide me in the right direction on that at well? Other than these minor things it's a clean ride plastics are in great condition, original stickers still intact and the seat is immaculate so I'm excited to get this bad boy running! Oh yeah I also need a source for rear drum brakes as I want to replace them. Thanks again!!
    If you want to rebuild the engine completely there are gasket kits on eBay from Versa and Athena and OEM bearings and seals can still be purchased online from sites like partsfish.com Same with brake pads and a lot of other parts. Lots of stuff on eBay for that trike as well.

https://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/l...3-yt125k-parts

- Get a manual for it if you don't have one.

- Best get a shop to check the cylinder to determine if it needs to be bored for a new piston and if so, to what size.

- Protect your eyes when doing that recoil and don't lose any small parts.

- I'd suggest that you pre-mix your fuel to at least 60:1 until you're sure that your oil pump is working.

Have fun
    It sucks to get old

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //