//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Home made title....

--

Home made title....

Anyone ever built something from the ground up and titled it? I know each state is a little different but the process should be about the same. I dunno where to start.
    Thanks!
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

--
    Building a frame or building up a junkyard frame?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    1985 250r
    1985 200s
    1984 200x
    bandito x2
    1979 atc70
    Trikefest 2012,13,14,15

--
    ....eehhh, Hard to say. Chopping up existing frames to build what I want. Wouldn't be an issue to MAKE a new neck for the stem bearings and put my own number on it.

I WANTED to find a junk donor bike and build a legal trike like FabioDriven has. Cannot find what i want. Those old Honda XL's are hard to come by and rarely cheap when you do. SO, probably just as easy to do all the redtape paperwork and start from scratch.

--
    Never mind I didn't see the title. I looked at getting my bandido titled has homemade here in Illinois. Here's it has to be a complete running machine and there can't be any VIN numbers on the engine. Just run it through inspection and they issue a title.

1985 250r
    1985 200s
    1984 200x
    bandito x2
    1979 atc70
    Trikefest 2012,13,14,15

--
    I couldn't get my 200x titled here without a mso, I guess there's a bonded title process but I was going to have to ensure the value of the three wheeler for two years or something along those lines. A few guys said the Arizona I think was really easy to get a ATV title with just a bill of sale, but don't know anybody down there to do it.

1985 250r
    1985 200s
    1984 200x
    bandito x2
    1979 atc70
    Trikefest 2012,13,14,15

--
    Well, vin numbers are easy enough to dispose of on the engine. I hope TN doesn't bother with that.

YES, I know it's illegal.....just thinking out loud...What's to stop a person from sand blasting a frame...doing some modifications & improvements and claiming it as your own? How can anyone PROVE another's fabrication skills? LOL!!

--
    I wanted to make a motorcycle into a three wheeler then I discovered custom triple clamps cost a small fortune and there aren’t any bolt on swing arms.
    c'est la vie

back to your question, something that’s already a motorcycle or even just a frame with a title would be the simplest legally to get registered etc and just build everything else.

Unfortunately that’s far beyond my abilities or I’d be riding it by now

Got to planning stage and gave up, good thing I didn’t take anything apart
    Last edited by HorseMcHorseman; 09-04-2019 at 11:29 AM. Reason: extra word removal / grammatical fix

--
    But I guess if you were building everything you should be able to get a vin supplied to you by the registry after some sort of inspection as a “custom” vehicle. All those tv shows build things maybe it’s worth it to look up one of the shop names and give them a call

--
    Seems like up here in Michigan it's fairly simple to get something titled, VW dune buggies do it all the time, they even get them legal for the road (parking brake, windshield, lights, optional blinkers, etc.

On another site about getting max MPG, I saw one guy take a motorcycle frame and weld it in the back of a small car like a Honda civic or geo metro to make a reversed trike and he was able to title it using the motorcycle vin, he just had to leave the front part of the frame together so the vin was still on it. Not sure what state that was in though.

Realistically, if you took the frame neck of a junked 3 wheeler, and rebuilt the frame in the form of another 3 wheeler, it would still be titled for what it is, weight, safety features etc might be different and not manufactured by the same company (home built vs honda), but I think going along those lines might be kind of the gray area of the law. Probably best to call up the SOS/DMV and see what they have to say.

We don't have a yearly inspection in Michigan, only time I heard about inspection here was when I was looking to get an enduro motorcycle road legal, inspection was at the police department and the police officer just has to make sure it has the lights and such required to be road legal.

--
    One caution about having a new VIN issued. This may make it a 2019, 2020, or what ever year it is that you have the number issued. Now you'll be paying brand new ATV taxes on a machine that's really 35 years old. Another reason to try to stick with the original VIN.

--
    Just chop the neck of a junk XL frame that's rusting in away in a boneyard and have at it....

Unless you're amazingly great at lathe work, fabrication and welding, I doubt it's worth the hassle.
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    That’s just it. There ain’t no junk XL around here.

--
    Ive title ever atv and atv ive built. I like to keep them titled per the year make and model. I did however build one 200x and it had a 350x vin on it. Ive you've ever gotten a hot bike before you will title everything. Its cheaper in the long run. Normaly atc's are not hot, the newer atvs and dirtbikes on FB the inner city kids have are. I had to learn the hard way.

each state is different. however in PA is simple. I run vin thru DCNR (free) get a bill of sale on their letter head (free) take it myself to a notary and give them $5 (other person does not need to be there) sent it and a registration/title application (free) + whatever the sales tax on the bare frame would of been (normaly use $25-50) and few weeks later I have my new title and DCNR plate.

One reason for title and plate is i ride between two payable riding spots, so for the $22.50 the whole title and plate ordeal costs me it opens up thousands of more arcres for me and if somone stops you and see you have a plate no one gives a crap since they know its not stole and legal.

--
    Do you have to be a resident to do that through PA?

1985 250r
    1985 200s
    1984 200x
    bandito x2
    1979 atc70
    Trikefest 2012,13,14,15

--
    Interesting process, up here in Michigan, no title or anything required to ride on state land, just ORV stickers. I haven't been checked by the DNR, but I don't think they run the VIN either, just just want to keep poaching down, and make sure people aren't tearing up the trails and such.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //