//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Headlight with integrated switch

--

Headlight with integrated switch

Hello everyone. I'm looking for a replacement headlight for my 1981 ATC 185S. I'd like to find one with an integrated switch in the assembly. I've looked with no results.

Has anyone come across something like this? I know I'll need a module to convert the AC power to DC. Can someone recommend a good one? Thanks.

--
    The 90/110 round headlights have a built in switch. Some of the Honda motorcycle around the same era have a the same setup in a larger size.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    1985 250r
    1985 200s
    1984 200x
    bandito x2
    1979 atc70
    Trikefest 2012,13,14,15

--
    Thanks for the info. I'll search for those.

--
    I actually was researching some stuff related to those. The ATC110 1979-1980 housing is marked with "HM-17N-S"

None of the housings would have a regulator in them though. The headlights would use the AC power directly from the 185s alternator unless you're converting to LED, or run smaller than stock wattage bulbs (45w for 185s). The stock atc110/atc90 lights are only like 15w and 25w and 6v, so you'd have to swap the bulb out for a 45w one if they are made for that light style. I know the ATC90 ones used the same socket as a 350x which used 35w bulbs, but I think that's the highest wattage bulb I've seen.

Why do you need a headlight replacement, broken plastic housing/bulb housing, or is like the pig tail wiring missing/bad, or bulb blown etc?

--
    My trike was crashed when I got it. The headlight and housing were broken. I thought it would be easier to just replace with an aftermarket. I have a work light I want to use from my tractor that is square and would bolt up. Problem is I tried it and it quit running when I revved the engine. So not I don't know what I broke.

--
    Guessing the wattage is too high on the work light. The machine only puts out 50w total, and the tail light eats up 5w. I'm guessing now you get no lights at all on your machine, might be a burnt out stator. If you're handy soldering it might be repairable, but if the coating on the coils are bad it would need to be rewound or replaced. I think cheap china knockoff stators can be bought on ebay, no experience with them myself though.

If you're handy with a multi meter, I can get you the specs from the service manual. Since the machine was wrecked, keep an eye out for damaged wires, bare copper, missing insulators etc. There's no fuses on your machine, so if you have no light power, either the power source (alternator), connections, wiring, or light is bad and you validated the light works yet so something is going on with your machine.
    Last edited by ps2fixer; 09-17-2019 at 02:08 AM.

--
    If it worked at idle you probably blew the light by revving it. I have used those 90 light with 6 and 12v bulbs, on older models with out regulators you have to add up combind voltage of all the bulbs to match you stator, if not the headlight is always the first to go.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    1985 250r
    1985 200s
    1984 200x
    bandito x2
    1979 atc70
    Trikefest 2012,13,14,15

ctk is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Is this a round metal housing or the square plastic housing?
    Chris

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //