//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Suggestions on metal tanks

--

Suggestions on metal tanks

I have original tank that I would like to keep in original condition. It does have some rust spots from chips and scratches on it. I thought of powder coating it but I’d like to get some ones option on this.

Thank you

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4013B924-9521-4A4C-8088-CD964CB3AAA8.jpeg 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	260034Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F08E2664-964A-4350-9884-F623B3DB5E7D.jpeg 
Views:	107 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	260035

--
    Some patina is fine. That tank is 35 years old. There are many different states and statuses of restored tanks, but they can only be original once. I would keep it 'as is' 10 times out of 10 if it holds gas and isn't completely destroyed.

--
    Your correct. I didn't want to get into it and completely redo it but clean it up. I might try to clean up some of the rust outside of the tank.

Thanks for the info

--
    What about spot treating the rust spots with vinegar or muriatic acid? Maybe a commercial product like evaporust? Then you can clear coat over the tank afterward to help keep the treated areas from rusting again and I know you can clear coat over decals..... Or just keep it wiped down with a little oil regularly like you would a shotgun barrel to keep the rust at bay

I don't know if those methods will mess up the paint so you might look into it deeper first but when I used vinegar or an acid to get rid of rust, I rinsed it with a baking soda solution to neutralize the acid so remember that

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    That’s a great idea. Something like that I would want to take it into a auto body shop and have someone give it a blast of clear coat. I’m not no pro at the but I do want to care for this tank.

I used to oil up my sport bike every year and cover it up over the winter but those days are gone. It’s a good idea to keep it from rusting.

I used a similar method on the Crome brake guard. Soaked it in a cup of coke for 10 min and scrubbed it with a 000 steal wool. Most of it came off and buffed it with autosal crome polish to prevent any further rusting.

--
    A good buffing with compound is gonna make that tank just shine. It will also pull lots of those little pock marks of rust out. Add a good coat of your favorite wax and you won't believe what you have there.
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atc007 View Post
    A good buffing with compound is gonna make that tank just shine. It will also pull lots of those little pock marks of rust out. Add a good coat of your favorite wax and you won't believe what you have there.
    Exactly what i would have said. buffing compound does wonders to old paint, i have made tanks that sat out in the sun fro 30 years shine like new. It just takes some time and you might have to do it a few times before you get the results you wanted. Be careful if you want to keep the decals, they can come off or the coloring will leave them.

--
    Remove the rust as best you can, and just touch up the spots with white paint. Will prevent further rust, and looks good!

--
    Go plastic unless its a OEM restore to sit in the corner of your house. There are so many plastis tanks now days out there for $200...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskool83 View Post
    Go plastic unless its a OEM restore to sit in the corner of your house. There are so many plastis tanks now days out there for $200...
    Thought of doing that with the trike. One owner who used it around the farm. Trike is all original with all four original reflectors on the grab bar. No scratches on the fenders

--
    Get a Clarke like oldskool said. I have one on my 350, and if it’s a rider you’ll be very happy. Much more comfortable. And if you clean yours up real nice I’d be willing to bet you could sell it for more than you pay for your plastic. That’s what I did many years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //