//ArrowChat Code

Upcoming Events for the Next 120 Day(s)

Thread: Suggestions on metal tanks

--

Suggestions on metal tanks

I have original tank that I would like to keep in original condition. It does have some rust spots from chips and scratches on it. I thought of powder coating it but Id like to get some ones option on this.

Thank you

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4013B924-9521-4A4C-8088-CD964CB3AAA8.jpeg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	260034Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F08E2664-964A-4350-9884-F623B3DB5E7D.jpeg 
Views:	21 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	260035

--
    Some patina is fine. That tank is 35 years old. There are many different states and statuses of restored tanks, but they can only be original once. I would keep it 'as is' 10 times out of 10 if it holds gas and isn't completely destroyed.

--
    Your correct. I didn't want to get into it and completely redo it but clean it up. I might try to clean up some of the rust outside of the tank.

Thanks for the info

--
    What about spot treating the rust spots with vinegar or muriatic acid? Maybe a commercial product like evaporust? Then you can clear coat over the tank afterward to help keep the treated areas from rusting again and I know you can clear coat over decals..... Or just keep it wiped down with a little oil regularly like you would a shotgun barrel to keep the rust at bay

I don't know if those methods will mess up the paint so you might look into it deeper first but when I used vinegar or an acid to get rid of rust, I rinsed it with a baking soda solution to neutralize the acid so remember that

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    That’s a great idea. Something like that I would want to take it into a auto body shop and have someone give it a blast of clear coat. I’m not no pro at the but I do want to care for this tank.

I used to oil up my sport bike every year and cover it up over the winter but those days are gone. It’s a good idea to keep it from rusting.

I used a similar method on the Crome brake guard. Soaked it in a cup of coke for 10 min and scrubbed it with a 000 steal wool. Most of it came off and buffed it with autosal crome polish to prevent any further rusting.

--
    A good buffing with compound is gonna make that tank just shine. It will also pull lots of those little pock marks of rust out. Add a good coat of your favorite wax and you won't believe what you have there.
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atc007 View Post
    A good buffing with compound is gonna make that tank just shine. It will also pull lots of those little pock marks of rust out. Add a good coat of your favorite wax and you won't believe what you have there.
    Exactly what i would have said. buffing compound does wonders to old paint, i have made tanks that sat out in the sun fro 30 years shine like new. It just takes some time and you might have to do it a few times before you get the results you wanted. Be careful if you want to keep the decals, they can come off or the coloring will leave them.

--
    Remove the rust as best you can, and just touch up the spots with white paint. Will prevent further rust, and looks good!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //