//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Bad gears?

Fullsizechevy9 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

Bad gears?

Im having problems with my bike when it bogs down like say in a mudhole or going over hills anytime it has a significant load on it amd i hit the has hard it almost sounds like my chain is slipping on the sprockets which i know isnt happening thats just the noise it makes is it possible that the clutch is slipping and im just hearing it in the chain because its slipping and catching causing it to make that noise i cant see it being a gear if a gear was that bad i would think it would just give out doesnt doit when hit throttle hard on flat ground but i can feel.clutch slipping a little then and doesnt slip at all when i wheelie any suggestions would be nice was hoping i could.make it through deer season without having to.work on it anymore i have a spare bottom end but its an e i have an s i think clutch is the same but wouldnt the gears be different? Thanks for the help i really need it to hunt public land so.i can get far away from the pressure

--
    It’s probably the tranny output shaft at the front sprocket ,
    Pull the front sprocket off and inspect . Or if the sprockets are worn the chain can jump .
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

Fullsizechevy9 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    The front sprocket did seem to fit on there kind of loose sprockets dont seem to be worn much they are still pretty flat on top the teeth ill check the splines on the output shaft see if i can notice any wear and post back thanks

--
    I'd agree most likely front sprocket. If the teeth aren't straight and fat, they are worn. Chain drive isn't exactly ideal for mudding since the chain gets dirt/mud in it pretty easily and it stretches pretty quick, been there done that with a 99 warrior.

When the clutch slips, it doesn't many any odd noises, just the engine revs higher and you don't move faster, or atleast not as fast as you should be moving, think of it like a manual car, when you first take off, the clutch is slipping, same type of setup in an atv, just a bit more complex style clutch.

It's possible a transmission gear could be bad/skipping, but I'd think if it's worn that much you'd have a grumble all the time. I had a 250es with 2-3 missing teeth on the rear diff, it grumbled some but was rode around for a couple years no problem. I rebuilt the carb since it really needed it and the next ride the rear diff went out, guess the extra power from the tuneup was just enough to kill it. It failed where in the right spot it wouldn't go anywhere at all, not really a chain skip noise or anything though.

The 200E and 200S are similar engines, they are the same "core" design so I wouldn't be surprised if the transmission gears would interchange from one to another, but it's probably one of those things, all or nothing, no mismatching things together. Could check the part numbers on partzilla to see if any of the parts are the same too, could check the front sprocket too.

--
    Tightening up your chain a bit might get you through the hunting season if it's skipping teeth, but you're running a marathon with a cracked shin bone in terms of potential problems.

--
    I dont really mudride but the trails get pretty muddy somtimes i have the chain guard with the rubber seals on it so it does a good job of keeping alot of the stuff out not 100% but 10x better than without and i oil my chain almost every time i ride sprockets arent worn and chain is tight im thinking its the splines on the shaft or in the sprocket worn from rusting ill have a better idea today when i look at it. If the splines are worn i may just tack it i plan on changing to the e bottom for electric and pull start after the season. Only thing i see is maybe tacking it where it isnt running true but i could put an indicator on it after i put 1 tack and spin the shaft and see which way the sprocket needs to go before i put anymore tacks should get it.close enough and long as i dont seal weld it i domt see the heat being a problem with the seals or bearings.

--
    Its got to be internal the sprockets look good the splines look good nothing wrong there maybe the output shaft gear is worn down enough to where its barely meshing with another gear im goin to try and take kt easy for hunting season and try to work on the e bottom end finish putting it together so i can swap them i have to have my bike to get to good spots without walking 5 miles

--
    Im not 100% positive on how the bottom end works but wouldnt one of the clutches help keep it in gear and possibly its slipping causing a gear to not stay meshed therefore causing the almost grinding like noise i hear and if i let off the throttle it will catch and stop making the noise but if i hit it to hard it slips again

--
    Just a thought, but how are your rear axle hub splines? Again just maybe worth checking.
    Noise travels more than you’d think.
    Shep

--
    I will check that good thinking now that i think about it they were kind of a loose fit splines were worn some

--
    Think u hit it on the head shep last time i checked they were a little loose so i greased the shaft to prevent anymore rust amd slow down any wear and tightened the castle nut pretty good to stop the wheel from putting to much force on the worn splines just checked and there is alot of play now may just tack the hubs to the axle wont hurt the axle any i can always clean it up axle is bent aboit .060 anyway going to put a blaster rear end on it probably after hunting season ill be replacing the axle and hubs either way good chance for me to use some trx hubs and get some new rims anyway

--
    The side i heard the noise on is the side that the hub is really loose

--
    Thanks for the help everybody it was the hubs slipping so i tacked them both and problem solved for now may slowly seal.weld it little at a time so i dont get much heat travel into the bearings just to be on the safe side that way i have no doubts about it holding up while im milea from the truck

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //