//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 1986 200x just fell my way. Engine noise question.

--

1986 200x just fell my way. Engine noise question.

Just purchased a 1986 200x that was to have had bottom end noise. Got bike and trailer for $900.00 From original owner who said he was riding it with no problems and all of the sudden it started making the noise. I bought it without even hearing the noise because of the bikes original condition. Original tires and all...very clean.

To me it sounds like cam chain issue in upper engine and not a rod or anything...didn't even realize the bike still ran...got it to GA from MI and kicked it as I felt great compression. The bike kicked over and started but making a constant noise like the starter (in a car) or bendix is still engaged.

My son moved it 30 ft and it shut off and now has no compression at all.

I'm thinking the tensioner went bad while the original owner was riding it and he parked it for all of these years. Then when my son started it and moved it 30ft I'm thinking the chain slipped and timing is off to where it has no compression and will of course not start again.

Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks

((Would have posted pic but not allowing me to for some reason.))

--
    Time to pull the motor and pull the topend off . Any reply would just be a guess !
    Last edited by shortline10; 09-26-2019 at 04:17 PM.
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    Just a guess- make sure your decompression cable is free/ lever on the head moves freely when kicker is pushed down.
    It will also clank/tick if adjusted to tight (decomp lever thingy wackin’ the ex. rocker inside) make sure the return spring is there too (behind lever on head) and not broken.
    If the cable is frozen or lever, it could leave the exhaust valve open (low compression feel)

That’s all I got- but it’s a simple check

Shep

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Shep1970 View Post
    Just a guess- make sure your decompression cable is free/ lever on the head moves freely when kicker is pushed down.
    It will also clank/tick if adjusted to tight (decomp lever thingy wackin’ the ex. rocker inside) make sure the return spring is there too (behind lever on head) and not broken.
    If the cable is frozen or lever, it could leave the exhaust valve open (low compression feel)

That’s all I got- but it’s a simple check

Shep
    . It's a good place to start...the decomp was working great when I pushed it down by hand. Moving forward allowing me to push past compression, then snapping back as it rotated.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //