//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Search has done no good.... Carb overflow problem

--

Search has done no good.... Carb overflow problem

I have a 1984 200es that I have ALWAYS had to change the carb every 2 years (Amazon version)..... Well the other day the bike started running rough and back firing. I pull into the shop and start digging. Not too long after that, I smell the gas and see it leaking out of the overflow tube on the bowl. I pull the carb and open it up. Inspection was clean (some nasty on the bottom of the bowl) and looked alright. I figure why not buy another one. Fast forward to last Saturday.... Install the new Amazon carb and LEAKING OUT THE BOTTOM!!!! My petcock also had a drip when closed I noticed (3/4 tank dripped to 1/8 tank in a week). I ordered a new valve assembly and it is waiting to be put on. Now to the question...... Could a faulty petcock cause your carb to overflow?? I was thinking the floats in the carb control the flow... Is that correct?? Or is there too much fuel dumping in and the floats cannot handle it??? The valve is about 3 years old and it had some crud in the filter. I have to lean towards the valve, but my instinct tell me the floats protect from overflow.

Please shed some light on this!!

Thanks

--
    No, the float valve in the carb controls fuel flow, the petcock has nothing to do with it.

I'd try to find an OEM carb, rebuild it, install another inline gas filter and be done with the issues.

99% of carb issues are just dirt and contamination. Which is why I always run a small clear inline filter and I usually tear the OEM filters right out of the tank and rely on the inline ones I can replace ever so often...
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

Fullsizechevy9 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by blownbayou View Post
    I have a 1984 200es that I have ALWAYS had to change the carb every 2 years (Amazon version)..... Well the other day the bike started running rough and back firing. I pull into the shop and start digging. Not too long after that, I smell the gas and see it leaking out of the overflow tube on the bowl. I pull the carb and open it up. Inspection was clean (some nasty on the bottom of the bowl) and looked alright. I figure why not buy another one. Fast forward to last Saturday.... Install the new Amazon carb and LEAKING OUT THE BOTTOM!!!! My petcock also had a drip when closed I noticed (3/4 tank dripped to 1/8 tank in a week). I ordered a new valve assembly and it is waiting to be put on. Now to the question...... Could a faulty petcock cause your carb to overflow?? I was thinking the floats in the carb control the flow... Is that correct?? Or is there too much fuel dumping in and the floats cannot handle it??? The valve is about 3 years old and it had some crud in the filter. I have to lean towards the valve, but my instinct tell me the floats protect from overflow.

Please shed some light on this!!

Thanks
    Valve will not make it overflow your float controls that as it rises to the correct level it shuts the needle valve closing off the flow that being said i have bought cheap carbs off amazon and could never get them to stop overflowing i even tried adjusting the float you could try to bend the little tab if its metal to adjust the float i have had the amazon carbs be set to high and overflow i always hold the carb level and adjust the float to where it is level when it shuts off the flow not to high not to low i put some gas line on the carb and blow through it and push the float until it shuts off my air going through and have it to where the float is about midway when it shuts off the flow hope that makes sense and helps im sure sombody else will have some more advice for you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

--
    Dang..... I was thinking if it is a float problem, then a new carb would clear that up. Just find it funny the new carb is doing the same thing as the old one. Guess I need to find an OEM carb and rebuild it.

--
    When the petcocks go bad the rubber seals turn into bits of crap that cause the float valve to stick open .
    Almost every machine that goes threw my shop for carburetor service gets a new petcock for this very reason .
    Since you have a new petcock coming pull your old one apart and inspect , I bet you’ll see the wafer seal hard and falling apart .
    Wouldn’t hurt to run an in-line fuel filter so it eliminates debris from entering the carburetor .
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    I inspected the petcock and the seal was a brick..... Could it be a piece of trash came from the petcock and lodged into the new carb's float?? Looks like I am pulling the carb apart BEFORE I install the new petcock.

Fullsizechevy9 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Dang..... I was thinking if it is a float problem, then a new carb would clear that up. Just find it funny the new carb is doing the same thing as the old one. Guess I need to find an OEM carb and rebuild it.
    Like they said could be trash clean it and try it until you get your stuff you need i would blow through the carb with gas line and slowly close the float and see where it is when it closes off your air flow should be about level if closes off the flow to high that could be your problem i had that problem before with a new amazon carb i adjusted the float level and it was good

--
    I inspected the petcock and the seal was a brick..... Could it be a piece of trash came from the petcock and lodged into the new carb's float?? Looks like I am pulling the carb apart BEFORE I install the new petcock.
    I would clean your tank good if you didnt do that before you installed new carb

--
    All GREAT info here!! Thanks for your insight and will try to remember to update.

Thanks

--
    All GREAT info here!! Thanks for your insight and will try to remember to update.

Thanks
    Play with it im sure you can figure it out thats best way to learn hands on if you have any questions ask they have some really good knowledgable guys here with ALOT of experiance

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullsizechevy9 View Post
    Play with it im sure you can figure it out thats best way to learn hands on if you have any questions ask they have some really good knowledgable guys here with ALOT of experiance

I like the air technique... Will be doing that for sure. I bet the amazon carb is adjusted wrong.

--
    I like the air technique... Will be doing that for sure. I bet the amazon carb is adjusted wrong.
    Its possible i had one the float was set to high and the fuel would flow out the overflow and wouldnt shut the flow off i took the bowl off left everyrhing else in tact held it level with fuel line on it where the gas goes into the carb i slowly blew into it while slowly pushing the float up to see where it sat when it shut the flow off and i bent the metal tab the needle sits on a very little amount at a time until the float was level when it shut the flow off

--
    The more you play with it the more you learn how everything works no better feeling than being able to diagnose and fix your own stuff and save money this is a great site i havnt found a better site for these trikes some smart guys here like really smart quite a few have been doing this their whole life

--
    All great info above. Whenever there is a leaky carb. Take a Q tip and put aluminum polish on it, put it in a drill and polish the seat in the carb. That will assure a good clean seat for your needle also.
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    Also make sure the float isn't filling up with gas. Not sure how big of a problem it is with the ebay/amazon carbs but i've had two oem ones that the float would fill with gas and cease to live up to their namesake... just something to watch out for.
    Suicide Hill Survivor

The rides:
    1981 ATC110
    1982 ATC185
    1983 ATC185s
    1984 ATC200es
    1985 ATC200x

When the going gets tough, the tough get sideways

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //