//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Hey guys, couple ATC questions for you Honda folk....

yz96 is offline New to the board Arm chair racerNew to the board
    --

Hey guys, couple ATC questions for you Honda folk....

Hey everyone, just had a couple questions....

Are Big Reds (200 or 250) physically bigger than say, a 200s? I know they probably use bigger tires (22" compared to 25"?), but overall are the frames bigger?

and..

Are the forks (the ones with springs, not solid) from a Big Red the same as the ones used on a 200s?

Thanks guys for any help you can give!

Fullsizechevy9 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Yes big red frames are longer than the s wider im not sure and im pretty sure the forks are different also that also depends on the year fixed forks versus suspension now whether they can be swapped around im not sure but with a little work anything is possible im sure sombody else will reply with better info

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

--
    Thanks man! I have an opportunity to buy a Big Red 200, and just wanted to see if they were physically bigger than a 200s. I have a 84 200s but it's kind of small for me. Big Reds LOOK significantly bigger in photos, but I just wasn't sure.

Fullsizechevy9 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by yz96 View Post
    Thanks man! I have an opportunity to buy a Big Red 200, and just wanted to see if they were physically bigger than a 200s. I have a 84 200s but it's kind of small for me. Big Reds LOOK significantly bigger in photos, but I just wasn't sure.
    Yes it will be bigger than the s i have a 200e big red and it is bigger than my 200s not a huge amount but is bigger here is the dimensions out the manuals

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

--
    Another thing to point out, the big red will be much heavier than the 200s since it has racks and such. Pretty sure the 84 200ES is the heaviest since it's shaft drive. The 82-83 big reds were similar to the 200s, chain drive, no reverse if I recall correctly. The 84 200ES is shaft drive and has reverse.

If you need a physically larger machine, look into the bigger motor machines, 250es, 250sx, 350x or 250r. Pretty sure all of them are a fair bit larger than the 200 big reds, full suspension and such. If you feel squished up on too small of a machine, try riding a Yamaha warrior, the foot pegs are pretty high, so it feels like you're on a smaller machine. The newer Honda quads have a low center of gravity so the foot pegs tend to be down lower. Not sure if Honda has always done the low center of gravity thing, or if it's only since the 3 wheeler lawsuit stuffs. I haven't sat on my 350 warrior in probably 10+ years in favor of the Honda 3 wheelers, need to get that thing going some day and sell it lol.

--
    I am 6'2", the 185/200s is toylike to me but still fun! The 250SX and 350X made me feel at home.
    1984 200S
    In Search of...
    250SX, 350X

--
    You really can tell the difference when ya flip it and its laying on top of ya ! BIGGGG difference !

--
    Quote Originally Posted by tri guy View Post
    You really can tell the difference when ya flip it and its laying on top of ya ! BIGGGG difference !
    Try a big red vs a modern quad like a rincon.

You have to respect the machines and ride them like you mean to (lean on corners etc), or if you push the limits you can get hurt, doesn't matter if it's 3 wheeled or 4 or 2. I've rode 3 wheelers and quads since I was 12, flipped quads just as much as 3 wheelers and the quads tend to roll further and tend to try to land on the rider. First ride on a TRX125 I flipped it on whoopie-doos since it has no suspension and I was used to a fully suspended machine. I landed on the ground and it would have rolled onto me if I didn't stop it with my feet. Never had that problem with 3 wheelers, I flipped my 250sx going 25-30mph, was my fault sliding the rear end around in the snow and pushed the limit too far and it went over, jumped and slid 2-3 times further than the 250sx, wasn't even close to me, it just planted and stopped. I rode the snot out of a 200ES big red, but it wasn't really fast enough/powerful enough to really get me in those situations much so never flipped it.

Anyway, going off weights

84-86 200s - 276lbs
    82-83 200e - 342lbs
    84 200es - 375lbs
    85-86 350x - 320lbs
    85-87 250sx - 357-364lbs
    85-87 250es - 406-410lbs

To compare the weights to quads, here's a few that comes to mind

86-89 trx250r - 161-165lbs (must be a mistake in the manual, seems too low) weight distribution says front 233 and rear 289lbs which is higher than the trx250x.
    87-92 trx250x - 351lbs
    2007-2009 trx300ex - 388lbs
    2005-2009 trx400ex - 388lbs (funny it matches the 300ex)
    trx560fa (650 Rincon) - 600lbs

Anyway, if you want a machine you can set on top of you, get an ATC70 =).

--
    Thanks for all the input guys!

Yea I'm 6'4", so the 200s is a bit small, but do-able. I'm not concerned with speed at all, I really just need a capable, comfortable cruiser. I have my sport quads if I need speed.

I just couldn't figure out from pics if the 200es is actually bigger (frame, forks, etc.) than a 200s, or if it just appears bigger because of the bigger tank and tires. lol

--
    Flipped ATC goes with the territory and expect it. Flipped Quad could be a trip to the hospital!
    1984 200S
    In Search of...
    250SX, 350X

--
    I've flipped quads more than 3 wheelers in my life time and I think I'm getting on more ride time on 3 wheelers by now. You can flip any machine, and you can get hurt on any machine, they key is to know where your limits are, and don't go past them.

I don't ride quite as hard as a racer/mx track rider, but as a casual rider I ride harder than most people. That's a heck of a challenge on a 200ES bouncing all over the trail vs a 350x with full suspension that I upgraded to. For putting around, messing around etc, suspension isn't a big deal, but riding fast, it's a lot better with it unless you're in the sand dunes or something like that.

I'd have to agree though, flipping a quad likely ends up with the rider in the hospital more often than the 3 wheelers. Pretty simple fact, the quads are a better shape to continue rolling, 3 wheelers don't really continue to roll, they flip and plant in the ground. Luckily never been hurt on either, I've caused more damage to the quads flipping them though (front fender busted 2-3 times on a 350 warrior) vs bent handlebar on my 250sx that I bent back and can't even notice it. Handle bars are probably a little weaker now but hasn't been a problem and my cousin's is far worse (tree fell on it and the tubing is actually cracked open). I gave him another set of handle bars, he just hasn't swapped em out.

Anyway, @ OP, if you want to get any measurements of the 200ES, I have one and a tape measure. I don't have a 185/200 to compare the numbers to though. The ATC90 felt a little small for me @ 6'2" and the ATC70 felt really small (but is a blast and a little wheelie monster) while the 200ES feels fine to me. I really feel at home on the 250es/350x though. I'd say the 250SX is similar feel as the 200ES.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //