//ArrowChat Code

Thread: ATC 200X sprocket gearing question -- 13 x 34

--

ATC 200X sprocket gearing question -- 13 x 34

I'm looking to change my gearing to get more speed. I mainly ride flats gravel or dirt roads, or in the field (not trails around here). I like to ride to the nearest town (Deer Trail) to drop off my mail and it's long 10 mile road if going slow.

So, I have 13 tooth front sprocket ordered, and would like to with a 34 tooth rear. I have the stock 12/40 right now -- fastest I can comfortably go now is about 35 - 40 MPH. Would like to get going 50 MPH with some comfort and keep the engine revs down:

I would end up going from 3.33 ratio to 2.67 -- Has anyone done this -- can you comment how you like it?

Would I need to get a new smaller chain?

Fullsizechevy9 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Trimoto Mike View Post
    I'm looking to change my gearing to get more speed. I mainly ride flats gravel or dirt roads, or in the field (not trails around here). I like to ride to the nearest town (Deer Trail) to drop off my mail and it's long 10 mile road if going slow.

So, I have 13 tooth front sprocket ordered, and would like to with a 34 tooth rear. I have the stock 12/40 right now -- fastest I can comfortably go now is about 35 - 40 MPH. Would like to get going 50 MPH with some comfort and keep the engine revs down:

I would end up going from 3.33 ratio to 2.67 -- Has anyone done this -- can you comment how you like it?

Would I need to get a new smaller chain?
    Sounds like a drastic change may be to much im not sure i know u will lose most of your bottom end sombody else will let you know im sure they will need more details but with the chain u can just put your chain on have your axle adjusted as far forward as u can and mark where you will need to cut a link to make it the correct size make sure you leave a little slack so it isnt to tight and wont go on u can grind the pin on the link and knock it out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

--
    Well, for starters, at that big of a ratio change, you are going to lose a substantial amount of bottom end grunt. That's fine as long as all you're doing is cruising. But if you would decide to take it on some trail rides (I know you said you rarely do,) not only would you be dissapoimted with the lack of giddy up, but hard, low rpm lug is actually harder on an engine than higher rpms. (Within reason.)

I'd say you'd be fine to keep the front on all the time. That's not gunna change much at all really. The rear though, changes the ratio quite a bit. So keep the old stock one just in case you don't like it, or you decide to go riding somewhere less flat and long.

Chain wise, I've never run this setup. On a new chain that hasn't been attached I'd imagine theres enough adjustment to take up the difference, but i can't say for sure.

--
    I run 13x34 gearing but I have 18" tires on the rear. It's a good combination for MX and if you have some engine mods like a pipe, carb., hi-compression piston, etc.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //