//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 250r light with s

--
    Also if you can find a voltage regulator with actual specs, you'll want one that is rated for the stator's max output. 70w @ 12v = 5.8amp encase it's rated in amps.

There are also voltage regulators vs voltage regulator/rectifiers. The ones with the rectifier converts the AC power from the stator to a type of DC power that can power lights and charge a battery. It's not perfect power for an LED headlight but should function on it. Rectified regulators generally have 4 wires, sometimes 5. On those style you need to determin if it's single phase or 3 phase too which complicates things quickly. Your machine is single phase (two wires from stator vs 3).

Stock lighting on a 200S is 45w headlight, 5w tail light. Generally speaking the 250r light/housing will provide the same amount of light, it might be focused a little different though. I'm pretty sure a 65/70w headlight exists for the 250r housing too H4 style which should work well with the 70w aftermarket stator and if everything is rated correctly, should all play nice with each other with out a voltage regulator.

Also with the 250r housing, you'll need to convert or adapt your wiring to a H4 headlight plug.

--
    That'll be a huge help! When I get moving around this morning I'm gonna head down to the garage and look at the r head light. Maybe I'll post a pic for others to see. Thanks!

--
    The bulb inside the headlight should have the wattage rating on it, like 45w/45w.

--
    Ricky Stator has an adjustable 2 wire regulator. It's just depends on how much light you want & what you're want to to get into. The stock stator will run the 45/45w and a 5w tail light fine. That's what the system was designed for & like jb2 wheels said-cheaper. The higher output stator would run either the 45w or a 60w but a regulator would definitely be necessary with the smaller bulb & wouldn't hurt anything with the larger one, although I'm not sure how much bulb life would suffer without it. LED's are fine with the exception that you need DC current which means you need a rectifier/regulator to make your A/C lighting system compatible. I've been using LED's in the indicators & tail lights of my Big Red's (electric start-DC lighting system). I haven't found an LED headlight bulb that will comfortably fit in my OEM headlight housings.

--
    FYI, marker light/tail light LEDs are just a LED+ resister, those work fine on AC but also suspectable to over voltage just like normal bulbs. LED headlights use what's called a Current driver with generally takes a wide range of input voltage but is designed for DC power. Some will work on AC, but since the power supply wasn't designed for it, it might create excess heat and not last long and likely to flicker on AC vs DC.

I have a 45w LED headlight in my 250es, but it took special adapters to make it fit the housing (the black plasic part). 4x6 style headlight and it was a nice snug fit. Same light fits the 200ES and similar machine housing with out the adapter requirement.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //