//ArrowChat Code

Upcoming Events for the Next 120 Day(s)

Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Performance Parts

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Minnesota
    --
    2

    Performance Parts

    I've got a 1982 Honda 200, it doesn't have the front forks like a big red would, but it does have the racks. Anyways, I wanted to know what people are doing to these for gaining power. I thought about doing the GH Discount ATV Supply boring kit to bore it over to .040. Otherwise, what can you do to these old rigs to go faster and rip harder?

    -Ron

  2. #2
    Fullsizechevy9 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Louisiana
    --
    336
    Quote Originally Posted by MnCollector View Post
    I've got a 1982 Honda 200, it doesn't have the front forks like a big red would, but it does have the racks. Anyways, I wanted to know what people are doing to these for gaining power. I thought about doing the GH Discount ATV Supply boring kit to bore it over to .040. Otherwise, what can you do to these old rigs to go faster and rip harder?

    -Ron
    I would only go .020 or .5mm basically the next size up boring doesnt give enough extra power to be worth losing the amount of rebuilds you will have left on that cylinder basically only have it bored enough to clean up the bore usually .5mm over will doit unless theres really bad scarring then you could put maybe a 200x or xr200 cam in it that would be cheaper route for a nice little gain over stock or you could go with a web or megacycles cam depends on your budget and how far your wanting to build it i would go with a 10.25:1 wiseco piston with whatever cam is in your budget and clean the ports up and port match everything and maybe a 26mm carb but you can probably get away with just rejetting you will have to jet no matter what you can learn alot just by using the search feature this has been talked about hundreds of times probably but really depends on what you want out of the machine so everybody will need to know more of how you ride and your expectations for the machine

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Edmond, KS
    --
    1,645
    Also don't forget the exhaust. All of the power parts that you put into the engine won't make their most potential power unless you can get rid of the burned gasses better than stock.

  4. #4
    Fullsizechevy9 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Louisiana
    --
    336
    Quote Originally Posted by 350for350 View Post
    Also don't forget the exhaust. All of the power parts that you put into the engine won't make their most potential power unless you can get rid of the burned gasses better than stock.
    Yes glad you caught that bigger carb and ported head=more air flow def need a high performance exhaust i knew i was forgetting somthing honestly i would just put a 10.25:1 piston in it any bigger you will need 110 octane race fuel minimum with the 10:1 you can burn 93 pump gas then i would put an xr200 cam with xr200 carb have the head ported you can do this yourself just do plenty research if your not confident have someone else doit you dont absolutly have to have it ported but helps i did mine myself and had pretty good results i opened the throat up where the valves seat some so the air has more of a straight path cleaned up any casting marks i opened up the turn a little on the intake side not to much you dont want to change it much especially the bottom where its flat leave that alone but i opened up the exhaust as much as i safely could to let as much hot gases as i could out i port matched my carb to intake and intake to the head you would be surprised how far off it is from factory i would do plenty research by no means am i telling you exactly what to do just giving you an idea and like i said if,your not comfortable have a competent person doit for you if you want to spend the extra money and have it done and on the exhaust i just opened up my factory exhaust some until i decide to buy a performance exhaust so far i have done the high comp piston ported the head myself and port matched everything and i opened up my exhaust some for better flow and i seen a noticeable increase i def felt a difference but if you want to spend the money you can get a megacycles stage 2 cam 26mm carb and performance exhaust along with some head work and enjoy a pretty nice gain any more than that you would be better off just finding a 250r or 350x because what you will spend doing that you could save a little more money and probably find a 250r or 350x that needs some work all depends on what you want to do and what your expectations are and how amd where you ride will be the main deciding factor on what will be best suited for you personally im happy with what i have done to my 200 i will do more to it eventually but i hunt with my bike and just enjoy the rides i loved the extra power i got from what i have done i dont need the baddest fastest machine around to enjoy myself my 200 gets the job done and i enjoy myself on it stock thats why i decided to keep it and mod it over time all up to you the search feature is your best friend i would say at least 75% of what you want to know you can learn by using the search feature i have learned so,much from it this topic has been gone over hundreds of times theres a plethora of information on the 200 on there hope i was a little help to you im sure sombody else will chime in with more experiance and better advice good luck let us know your riding style and expectations and we can help you further and in the mean time search search search and read and learn you wont regret it

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tionesta, PA
    --
    5,642
    Here's the thing with your dilemma: For the amount of money in which you will spend to make this thing "actually" rip hard, you will be able to buy a machine that already rips. I know because I did it. A conservative approx. price I had making my 200S "Rip" is over $1500 (in the motor alone). You could buy any number of 3 wheeled machines that rip harder than an ATC200 for that amount of money.

    But for conversation sake - here is what you'll need and approx prices associated with them (labor not included):

    High comp piston $150 - $200
    Performance cam $150
    Performance exhaust $200 - $400
    Performance carb and intake (**NOTE 200X intake will not work) $100 - $250
    Larger Valves and springs $200 - $300
    and then as I mentioned there is labor for porting and polishing the head and all of the machinist work for boring and honing

    In the end - you can have a very fast ATC200 - but is that really the machine you want? If you answer yes - you are like me. But please never forget - big power gains are expensive.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20180605_175151660.jpg  
    RIP - Yamahondaman!! You will never be forgotten!
    RIP - Sam Brehm!! Gone but NEVER forgotten!
    RIP - Sandpuppi101 - You will live on in my mind - I miss you friend!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Minnesota
    --
    2
    I can do the work myself, so that negates a lot of the cost, but I just don't know where to find these parts. You mentioned a cam and intake, etc, but I can find only the stock cam. If you could point me in the direction of finding these parts, I would be very happy.

    -Ron

  7. #7
    Fullsizechevy9 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Louisiana
    --
    336
    Quote Originally Posted by atctim View Post
    Here's the thing with your dilemma: For the amount of money in which you will spend to make this thing "actually" rip hard, you will be able to buy a machine that already rips. I know because I did it. A conservative approx. price I had making my 200S "Rip" is over $1500 (in the motor alone). You could buy any number of 3 wheeled machines that rip harder than an ATC200 for that amount of money.

    But for conversation sake - here is what you'll need and approx prices associated with them (labor not included):

    High comp piston $150 - $200
    Performance cam $150
    Performance exhaust $200 - $400
    Performance carb and intake (**NOTE 200X intake will not work) $100 - $250
    Larger Valves and springs $200 - $300
    and then as I mentioned there is labor for porting and polishing the head and all of the machinist work for boring and honing

    In the end - you can have a very fast ATC200 - but is that really the machine you want? If you answer yes - you are like me. But please never forget - big power gains are expensive.
    Thats a sweet 200 i love my 200s im happy with it stock so modding it only made it that much better but to the op if thats really what you want to do ebay and you can find alot how much are you trying to spend and that will give us a better idea on what direction to guide you in

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    My underwater lair
    --
    4,093
    Quote Originally Posted by MnCollector View Post
    I can do the work myself, so that negates a lot of the cost, but I just don't know where to find these parts. You mentioned a cam and intake, etc, but I can find only the stock cam. If you could point me in the direction of finding these parts, I would be very happy.

    -Ron
    Web Camshaft and Megacycles.

    You'll probably need to use one from an 83-85 ATC200X and they have three or four different cam grinds from mild to wild

    As far as I know, the ATC200X cam works good but if the machine has a compression release in the head, it won't turn it off automatically with the 200X cam like it does with the OEM ATC200 cam, so you'll have to operate the lever manually.

    On the intake, you're stuck trying to find a used one of you want aftermarket oversized



    Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tionesta, PA
    --
    5,642
    Ironchop is correct. I have a Webcam in mine. http://www.webcamshafts.com

    As far as the intake, I modified a stock one - but it will need to be done with the oversized carb.
    RIP - Yamahondaman!! You will never be forgotten!
    RIP - Sam Brehm!! Gone but NEVER forgotten!
    RIP - Sandpuppi101 - You will live on in my mind - I miss you friend!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //