//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Atc 350x rebuild. Help and suggestions

--
    Wel here goes the rebuild. 12 to 1 wiseco , head done with a 5 angle valve job and some porting. Web 213 grind cam and stiffer valve springs. More pics as I progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

--
    Piston ,head and cam installed
    This is going smoother than I expected. Makes me nervous.

--

Atc 350x rebuild. Help and suggestions

Engine in , valves adjusted , clutch tomorrow, carb jets and button everything back together. Hopefully fire it up Monday.

--
    Getting there. Installed new clutch today. Springs were almost 1/4” under minimum. Lost (ripped cell sort disintegrated) an o ring for the oil pump so Ordered that so maybe it doesn’t start until next week lol. But I’m a few kicks away. Going riding this week (different bike) so she’s on hold till next week.

--

She lives again!! Started up pretty quick. 5th kick. Holy crap with a 12:1 piston and no decompression cable. Who talked me into that? Oh that was me. Smokes a bit as expected. Getting better even after 20 minutes or so. Having trouble idling. Didn’t mess with my carb settings at all but few like I’m too far out on pilot. I’ll play with it this weekend. Did take it for a very slow ride down the street and let me tell you about clutch springs. Wow. What a difference. Softer smoother and more pull. Get it tuned up this weekend maybe take it for a quick day ride this week. Break it in thanksgiving and should be ready to ride hard by the invasion.
    Still open to any tips questions or comments. Thanks

--
    Hey Shawn,

Going to Rasor over Thanksgiving ?.
    YAMAHA 450 HYBRID
    85 350X- RED
    85 350x -BLACK
    86 350x-WHITE (with Goki)
    85 250r
    83 atc 70
    84 atc 70
    84 atc 110
    09 yfz 450
    2006 Arctic Cat Prowler
    RZR XP 900

--
    Shawn,

First off feel better - if you're not already. Secondly, this looks like a fun project! I'm not sure whether you've seen this video by ATV on Demand in which they set up a 350X for Motocross.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BoVcUKNc_0&t=3s

Even if MX isn't your focus, there is some interesting 350X info in the video. It is admittedly an over the top project, but maybe there are some ideas or information which may be useful for you. The price point vs point of diminishing returns scenario is up to you to determine! And I'd agree that spending more than a 450 conversion doesn't make sense unless you're an old school purist.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by BOB MARLIN View Post
    Hey Shawn,

Going to Rasor over Thanksgiving ?.
    No , unfortunately. We’re going to ocotillo wells with a different group. Plan is to be at razor for New Years possibly , the weekend after the holiday 3rd to the5th I think.

--
    I have a technical question. A long time I ago I read somewhere (I think here but I can find it ) that you had to remove your decompression cable with a bigger camshaft on the 350x. Web (who made my cam) is unaware of this. Anyone have any advice? Kinda hard to kick without it to be honest. Damn 12:1 piston. Lol. I’m thinking I imagined that post now. I’d hate to ruin my brand new valve train because I’m being a pansy and not wanting to kick this thing that hard. Also hate to wear my leg out in the bottom of a sand dune while my decompression cable collects dust in my shed. Thanks.

Ranvier is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Powell View Post
    I have a technical question. A long time I ago I read somewhere (I think here but I can find it ) that you had to remove your decompression cable with a bigger camshaft on the 350x.
    I have never heard this. I would set the valve lash to the specs according to web then adjust the cable per usual.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranvier View Post
    I have never heard this. I would set the valve lash to the specs according to web then adjust the cable per usual.
    Yeah I’m beginning to think I’m confusing bikes with my XR400R/400ex ‘s. I know for a fact you delete those after a bigger camshaft. I just reinstalled the cable seems to be fine (and easier to kick) I’ve always been decent at adjusting that by following the service manual specs. Thanks.

--
    I love reading 350X success stories. Can't wait to see it at Invasion!!

--
    Well she runs , idles ok (still not perfect but I’m hoping that clears up as the engine breaks in?) Still smokes a little Wich is to be expected. Gonna take her on a very light ride tomorrow just to break in the rings I hope. There’s a good spot Wich is pretty flat and should be empty tomorrow so I can just track back and forth in 3rd gear for a couple hours. Wish me luck.

--
    I'll bet it won't happen. you'll have to give it some juice at least once!

--

Atc 350x rebuild. Help and suggestions

I’m gonna put this here and in the brakes thread that got me going , but EBC still makes brake rotors for the 350x front and rear. I ordered mine today. About 110 each. I’ll post pics here when I get them. (Also new sintered tusk pads) here’s my email from EBC with part numbers

Last edited by Shawn Powell; 11-20-2019 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Can’t spell properly

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //