//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 85 Big Red Frontend Parts

--

85 Big Red Frontend Parts

My Parents use an 85 Bigred daily on the farm for chores the left front fork has been cracked around 1/4 of the threads for a while but the axle always stayed tight so we never bothered to replace it. Well last week they were using it to check fences and the front axle snapped off flush with the right front fork and the wheel. I assume all these parts are NLA from Honda, Can you replace just the bottom portion of the fork or do I have to get the whole thing? Are any other bikes or Year forks and front axles interchangeable with an 85? What should I expect both of these to cost? Thanks a bunch

--
    Get on Ebay, it's a good place if you can't find some one with parts to sell.

--
    I found a whole fork and axle on ebay I should get it Thursday. I started working on replacing the front wheel bearings in our other 85 Big Red but the front axle wont come loose, I ended up taking the forks out of the upper T piece with the tire and axle and unbolted the wheel from the brake drum. Can the wheel bearings be replaced with the left hand fork on the axle yet? or do I have to remove the fork to get the brake drum off? Can the axle be slid through with the left fork still attached? It also has play in the steering pivot, is that a pretty difficult job to replace that bearing or can they be tightened up? It will probably need a new bearing though to my knowledge it hasn't ever been replaced. Thanks

--
    The steering head has ball bearings from the factory. If the top nut is loose, you may be able to tighten it a little bit, but I wouldn't count on it. You could find some new ball bearings or go with a tapered bearing kit from All Balls. I have an All Balls kit on my 85 250SX with a 200X front end and I love it.

--
    If I remember correctly the hub should slide off the axle because it is bolted into the left fork , thru the brake hub as you sit on it , an if the axle does not have an enlarged washer type flange on the right side. but use a lot of penetrating oil on the threaded part of the axle and keep trying to get axle out for future situations.
    our original 85 we bought new, 2 - 86 police specials
    250r dust runner
    04 Yamaha kodiaK 450 snowbuster ! Brute Force 750 dust collector .
    Bunch of es stuff I been buying for next builds....
    Gone but lives on in my aching body the mighty 350x collection . A Beat 85 es im gonna rebuild

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //