//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 1982 atc185s rebuild issue, help needed!

--

1982 atc185s rebuild issue, help needed!

Alright I just did a complete engine rebuild on my trike. Installed rebuilt crank (I had a connecting rod bearing failure). I thoroughly cleaned case, all new seals and gaskets. New hd barnett clutch springs. Fired it up runs great for about 10 min and the it started clattering hard only at idle. You idle it up a little and it goes away. Itll drive and go through all the gears but it feels like its slipping. I adjusted the clutch to the manual spec. Turn it counterclockwise till its stops then an 1/8 turn clock wise and lock it down but I still have excessive movement in the shifter.

There is no metal in the oil.

I need some help. Any advice is appreciated!

--
    The clutch adjustment effects when the clutch engauges vs how much of the shifter movement. Backing it out slightly less might give a tighter feel to the shifter, but that won't fix any slipping problems. The 185S has two clutches, the one for the transmission that is used between gears and is what the clutch adjuster is for, and the primary clutch that works like a gokart clutch where it engauges based on engine rpm, which slips at low rpm, and totally locks up at higher rpm. That clutch allows you to stop in gear.

What kind of oil did you use? The wrong type of oil can make the clutches not work right.

For the clattering, probably best to try to record a video of the noise and put it up on youtube or some other video site and link us to it. I suspect it could be a lot of different things depending on the noise, where it sounds like it's coming from, and speed it makes the noise. Did you reuse the wrist pin for the piston or anything like that? The only at idle kind of reminds me of a wrist pin knock, but I wouldn't think that would be the case if it's all new/good parts. Valves out of adjustment can make alot of noise, but with only 10 mins of run time I wouldn't think they could wear that fast unless like the oil pump isn't working at all or something crazy like that (it would have a bottom end knock too though).

Good luck tracking down the engine noise, that would be my main focus if I was in your shoes.

--
    I put a new wiseco piston and wrist pin. And I cleaned and resealed my oil pump (new gasket and orings). I'm using 10w40 honda oil with some zddp additive.
    I'll see if I can get I video and post it today.

--
    https://youtu.be/gIdD8bJ9C6Y

Link above is video with the noise. Definitely coming from the clutch side of the case. I'm gonna tear it down this weekend, just curious if anyone has ran into this before. Anything in particular I should be looking for.
    Last edited by Laredo; 10-17-2019 at 08:09 AM.

--
    My vote is that the clatter is valvetrain noise. If you didn't lock down the adjuster nuts on the lash adjusters on the rocker arms, the lash adjustments could have opened way up. Recheck your valve lash. Make sure the piston is on the compression stroke so that you know the cam isn't trying to open a valve as you adjust the lash.

Use a feeler gauge, 0.002". As a sanity check, watch the valves open and close while slowly turning the motor over after you adjust. When you see that the valve has closed, just move the rocker arm by hand. The lash should just barely be perceptible. If you can noticeably "wiggle" the rocker arm (in the open and close direction) then the lash is most likely too big. Again, the last should just barely be perceptible. 0.002" is not a very large gap...
    - Frank

1984 200ES Big Red
    1985 350X (x2)
    1986 350X
    1986 250SX
    1984 Auto-X
    1984 ATC70
    1985 ATC70

--
    Can do, I'll check that when I get off today.

--
    Double checked my valve clearance and its spot on. Any other suggestions

--
    It’s either valves or cam chain stretched beyond use. Try adjusting through the cam chain tensioner.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    For the sake of resolving a thread, I figured out where I screwed up. When I assembled the clutch lifter I installed the ball retainer upside down, causing the clutch lifter to come apart after about 10 min of riding. When it came apart it pushed the clutch in excessively, causing the clutch pressure plate to wedge in the clutch basket. By some miracle nothing broke, after reassembly, a couple new gaskets and some fresh oil the trike is running again.

Big thanks the everyone who chimed in and offered advice. I really appreciate it. Yall are awesome.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191018_234803.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	2.45 MB 
ID:	260358
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191018_202704.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	260357

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //