//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Terrafab swingarm good enough on a dune only ATC250R?

--

Terrafab swingarm good enough on a dune only ATC250R?

Hey all. I've had a Terrafab Swingarms tab open on my phone for the past 6 months. I have tried to look into reviews, videos, etc. on them. Not too much info out there. My engine isn't super built. Medium port/polish, .030 over, FMF Gold Series pipe/silencer, Uni filter all running 91 octane. Nothing too special. I'd guess low to mid 40s for HP. I'm on the heavy side myself (250lbs), so I feel like a little extra wheelbase would be a little more comfy. I've had this bike for 23 years and really don't have any complaints, but I want to do a frame off restoration and I dig the tube style swinger. Planning on using the stock rear shock with a new spring and Race Tech gold valve, unless you all tell me I'm an idiot and I should go with something else. Any guidance would be much appreciated as this project will be underway within the next 6 months. I know there are MANY options out there for custom swingers, but I'm not trying to spend $1200 on a rear end that only sees mostly smooth sand. Thank you all in advance! Looking forward to seeing what you have to say.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedbngr18 View Post
    Hey all. I've had a Terrafab Swingarms tab open on my phone for the past 6 months. I have tried to look into reviews, videos, etc. on them. Not too much info out there. My engine isn't super built. Medium port/polish, .030 over, FMF Gold Series pipe/silencer, Uni filter all running 91 octane. Nothing too special. I'd guess low to mid 40s for HP. I'm on the heavy side myself (250lbs), so I feel like a little extra wheelbase would be a little more comfy. I've had this bike for 23 years and really don't have any complaints, but I want to do a frame off restoration and I dig the tube style swinger. Planning on using the stock rear shock with a new spring and Race Tech gold valve, unless you all tell me I'm an idiot and I should go with something else. Any guidance would be much appreciated as this project will be underway within the next 6 months. I know there are MANY options out there for custom swingers, but I'm not trying to spend $1200 on a rear end that only sees mostly smooth sand. Thank you all in advance! Looking forward to seeing what you have to say.

Sure, why not? But IMO, if your oem rear swingarm is in good shape I would spend the money elsewhere. If you are looking for comfort get your rear shock/forks valved for your weight and riding style and then get a hi flight desert seat. Also a set of wider Footpegs may be in order. Comfort here you come.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    While I generally don't like to criticize products I haven't tested, I have serious doubts about how sturdy they are. It's just basic engineering. They only have one small diameter tube on either side extending from the pivot to the carrier, with the shock putting a serious load on the center. And the longer they are the worse they'll bow. Now if they had multiple tubes--a trellis design--I would have more confidence in their rigidity and durability. Dunes can be pretty tough on suspension--a lot of choppy ruts. Plus 250 lbs. is a pretty good size. I'm thinking drag use only.

--
    All good points guys. I am usually on the 86, but I also have an 85 R with a High Flite seat and Renthal 7/8" bars. My 86 still has the original seat, but just recently got a set of those same bars put on. As strange as it is, I have never ridden them back to back to see what the real difference is in seat height and how that translates to my comfort level. I am very short in the legs, but very long in the torso (I'm 5' 11" with only a 29" inseam) and my wingspan is right around 6' 2". Basically I'm built like a gorilla. To be clear, I've never had an issue with comfort in the dunes. It's when I hit the hard pack in Ocotillo Wells that I felt sketchy. The new bars helped tremendously, but the stock pegs were definitely the weak point of the setup. The rider triangle of the 250R is one of it's best features in my opinion, but those pegs are just too skinny and dull. I think changing those out and getting my forks and shock done properly (rebuilt with gold valve and new springs) will make the most improvement. I have just never ridden 3 wheels with anything but the stock wheelbase and was curious to see what you had to say about it. I think just going +2 wider on the axle may be what I am actually looking for. But who knows, maybe I am fine with the stock setup and should put the money into my CR500 conversion instead. I'll definitely be looking for a reputable shop for the swingarm then. Thank you both for responding. I think pegs and suspension first, then possibly an axle and I can call it good.

On that note, what do you guys recommend for foot pegs? I've never really looked into them.

--
    just have mike over at HREatv.com build ya want ya want. $1200 for a swinger is insane, its a few bucks of metal and 4 hours of work.

--
    just have mike over at HREatv.com build ya want ya want. $1200 for a swinger is insane, its a few bucks of metal and 4 hours of work.

from what i see on terras website it seems gussets are not put on swingers...if you gonna build somthing you gusset it and do it right, if not you use your stock arm and powder coat it and spend money on suspension.

http://www.hreatv.com/productionparts.html

--
    Go aluminum and find yourself an extended Calfab.

--
    I have an hre on my 350x. It’s great. I ride everywhere trails desert and dunes. Looks great also. If for some reason you don’t like there’s check out American star racing. I have there a arms on my 400ex. Great product reasonable prices. For your suspension race tech is the place. I have the emulators and springs in the front and spring and gold valve on the back. Rides great. Best money you can spend. Only thing I wish i did differently was went with a plus 4 swinger vs plus 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

--
    I had a +4 made for my 84 Kawasaki tecate 3 had them make it to hold a 86 + honda carrier so i could get and extended axle and use honda parts that are available Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190304_230227.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	998.3 KB 
ID:	260440Click image for larger version. 

ID:	260440

--
    Quote Originally Posted by puckshot View Post
    I had a +4 made for my 84 Kawasaki tecate 3 had them make it to hold a 86 + honda carrier so i could get and extended axle and use honda parts that are available Click image for larger version. 

ID:	260440Click image for larger version. 

ID:	260440
    Is it a good build ? Dune purpose only or can you beat this thing up on trails and desert? Looks nice and that’s very cool they build custom pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

--
    Yes it is made from chromolley is is super strog and yes i beat the snot out of it so yes it is super strong and is your worried about it they can gusset it but really doesn't need it like i said its super stong

--
    Just to bump this thread, it looks like Terrafab is now offering both square and round tube construction for the 85/86 R. Similar to the custom unit Mr. Powell posted for his Tecate. I can snag a +2" square tube style for under $500 since I don't need a carrier and will be getting my stainless lines straight from Galfer. Thank you all again for your input. It helped a lot.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //