//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 1984 Kawasaki Tecate 250..need rear shock and carb advice!

--

1984 Kawasaki Tecate 250..need rear shock and carb advice!

Hi everyone! I am new to this forum, been a huge fan of quads and trikes ever since I was a kid but now I finally have my own!

I recently picked up an '84 Tecate with a DG pipe, no airbox and a uni filter. Basically stock otherwise.I have run into a couple of issues.

1) Trike has been very difficult to start and very smokey when it does. I can see some spooge coming out of the exhaust. I am running a 32:1 mix so I do to know why it would be running so rich? Initially was leaking gas out of the overflow like crazy. So I took off the float bowl adjusted the Tang slightly and it stopped leaking. Now it will start but won't idle at all? I ordered a rebuild kit, and if that doesn't work I will put on a mikuni 34mm (do you use factory jetting or the jetting the carb comes with?). I also noticed the rubber intake boot has alot of dry for so I will most likely need to replace that as well.

2) Rear shock is definitely blown. I have read that people replace that with a raptor 660 shock but has problems due to the reserve hose being so short or would a 300ex rear shock? I am a big guy and need something substantial - any suggestions?

3) Won't shift down into 1st. Feels like you have to hyper extend the shifter to even try. Will shift through the other gears normally.

Thank you for any and all input!

--
    I'm not super on top of the Tecates, but if the engine is ran with no air filter box, the jetting shouldn't be stock else it would run lean. Float level adjustment might not be your problem, could just be needle and seat, a quality rebuild kit and cleaning the seat up should fix it from leaking past it, you might have to readjust the float level afterwards.

Not sure how much you've ran the engine, but running 2 strokes for short times and/or the carb over flowing and dumping so much extra fuel in the crank case could be the source of the smoking. Basically the mixed in oil can build up in the crank case and make the oil mix heavier than normal. If that's the case it should clear up on it's own over time with use, but I suspect it's still over flowing, just not out the carb vents now.

No idea on the shocks, I'm sure someone else has experience in this area though.

Shifting problems I'd first look at the shifter where it bolts to the shaft. Clean it up and wiggle with your hand. The shifter and the shaft should have zero free play, if there is any free play, then the shifter is loose or the splines are worn. I recentally worked on a friend's motor cycle with the same exact problem, wouldn't shift into first but all other gears worked fine. His problem was the shifter needed to be cleaned up and bolted back on tighter. He might have a shifter seal going bad too but that's unrelated to the actual issue. Not sure if these engines have any internal shift related issues or how they are designed, but guessing there's not much that can go wrong in them to make that kind of problem.

You can get the service manual from here -> http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

Good luck with the machine and repairs.

--
    raptor 660r rear shock is used to swap alot of time. need 2001 and then add a longer rezy line. any suspeion shop can rebuild it for you and install a longer line. the spring rate and valing will be off. You'd need to sent it over to a guy i know willing to set it up for the bike your gonna run it on. It wont cast ya too much. normaly $250.

--
    I run Banshee shocks on my 1st gen T3s.

As for the rest - hard to say over the internet.

--
    I'm currently building an 85. The bike came with an extended swing arm when I bought it so I decided to put it on. I figured I might as well change the rear shock too. I found a 400ex works racing shock that was rebuilt on ebay for about 450$ fits great and is about 1.5 inches longer than the 660 shock that was in there. Also like the fact that it has a remote resi instead of the piggy back like the 660 shock. Elka legacy shocks also fit but are pricey. My 660 shock is for sale. PM me if interested

--
    Might be some useful info in here:
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ap-Interchange
    86 T3
    84 T3
    86 KX250

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //