Hi everyone! I am new to this forum, been a huge fan of quads and trikes ever since I was a kid but now I finally have my own!

I recently picked up an '84 Tecate with a DG pipe, no airbox and a uni filter. Basically stock otherwise.I have run into a couple of issues.

1) Trike has been very difficult to start and very smokey when it does. I can see some spooge coming out of the exhaust. I am running a 32:1 mix so I do to know why it would be running so rich? Initially was leaking gas out of the overflow like crazy. So I took off the float bowl adjusted the Tang slightly and it stopped leaking. Now it will start but won't idle at all? I ordered a rebuild kit, and if that doesn't work I will put on a mikuni 34mm (do you use factory jetting or the jetting the carb comes with?). I also noticed the rubber intake boot has alot of dry for so I will most likely need to replace that as well.

2) Rear shock is definitely blown. I have read that people replace that with a raptor 660 shock but has problems due to the reserve hose being so short or would a 300ex rear shock? I am a big guy and need something substantial - any suggestions?

3) Won't shift down into 1st. Feels like you have to hyper extend the shifter to even try. Will shift through the other gears normally.

Thank you for any and all input!