//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kawasaki tecate question

--

Kawasaki tecate question

Hello all,
    I have been lurking on this form for a couple of years now. Alot of great info on here. I have a chance to buy a 1984 Kawasaki tecate. I have a 1985 250R and tri-z. I have been looking for a 1985 tecate for a couple of years now To complete my 1985 collection, and have not been able to locate one. I have been on the fence about buying the 1984, but I have been doing alot of research and the 1984 and 1985 tecates seem very similar aside from a few diffrences. So my question is. Should I wait till I find a 1985 or buy the 1984 right now.

--
    If you're going to fudge by a year, then fudge up and find a 1986 - unless you have your heart et on the 1st gen Tecate - in which case, I'd scoop up the '84 if it is clean and has "good bones."

--
    I have also thought about that. The 1986s seem way harder to find then the 84s and 85s. Plus I like the way the first gens look. The 84 is in decent shape runs good and the plastics are not all clapped out. In my research alot of people were saying the 84s and 85s were quicker than the 86s. Is that true? I know the 86s were faster in the top end because of the extra gear.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by cory g View Post
    I know the 86s were faster in the top end because of the extra gear.
    All KXT-250 Tecate 3-wheelers were 5-speeds, 1984-87. Only the 1987-88 KXF-250 Tecate 4's were 6-speed.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    Thank you for the reply red rider. I guess the better question is, were the 1st Gen tecates faster than the second Gen?

--
    I always wanted a 2nd gen Tecate, but ended up getting a 250 R in the late 90's. This is a decision that I don't regret as the Honda, I believe, is better supported by the aftermarket and is easier for which to find parts (I believe). I can't specifically answer your question with respect to which is faster - 84/85 or 86/87 Tecate, but I would be very very surprised if the 84/85 were faster in stock vs stock condition. This was the heyday of racing 3 wheeler technology advancement, and I just don't see Kawasaki going backward in the power department with their improved design. To further support this position, Kawasaki added the "KIPS" (powervalve) system to the 86/87, and to my knowledge this was the only mass produced 3 wheeler to have a powervalve system. The Tri Z and the 250 R didn't have a powervalve. The 86/87 Kawasaki Tecate was pretty much regarded as the horsepower king of racing 3 wheelers as I recall.

I think that you will find this article interesting:

http://www.quadpit.com/mags/1986/sto...hootout01.html

While it doesn't specifically compare the 84/85 vs the 86/87 Tecate, it does reference the "Totally redesigned Tecate" as having "even more beans (whatever that means in the real world)", and that it has "numerous engine improvements" which resulted in the testers noticing "both a significant boost in the midrange and in Kawie's always explosive top end." So it seems that this article would lead me to believe that the 86/87 would be faster, but I have no specific real world evidence of this. Check out the article - it is a fun read.

I myself would look for an 86/87, but if you have the chance to get a good 84, then that would be great too. Maybe get the 84 and then find yourself a good 86/87, and let us KNOW which is faster!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by cory g View Post
    Thank you for the reply red rider. I guess the better question is, were the 1st Gen tecates faster than the second Gen?
    You're welcome. I agree with Bernard3rd's assessment. In my limited experience with both Tecates in question, the '87 was faster than the '85, but that '85 was no slouch. I know for sure the '87 Tecate was stock, but unsure of the '85.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    I have Tecates from every year they were made. Regarding 84 vs. 85, the 85 has superior rear suspension and front brake. The linkage for the rear suspension was revised for 85 and the 84's drum brake was replaced with a much stronger disc. The steel rims of the 84 were replaced with much lighter aluminum rims for 85. The frame was also changed a bit, with the foot pegs being located a bit higher. The 84 pegs dragged the ground when the suspension bottomed out. Regarding the engine, they are essentially the same, although the 85 carburetor was upgraded. Nice 85's are harder to find than 84's and 2nd gens. are now much harder to find at a decent price. If you find a nice 84, I would go ahead and get it. The 85 is better but not by a lot.

--
    Thanks for all the great info everyone! Bernard 3rd that was a great article, very interesting. I will go look at the bike next weekend. I will keep you all posted. Thanks again!

--
    I have an 85 250R, 85 350X, 85 T3, and an 05 WR450 Conversion.

The 350X (stock) is my ride any place any time tractor. Always starts, always goes, comfortable (baja seat), enough power to go anywhere. Almost boring compared to the others.
    The 250R (stock including the pipe) is very nice to ride. Great suspension, decent 2-stroke hit, excellent duner.
    The 450 is ungodly fast, has great suspension, and I'm still learning how to ride it fast. The Sparks pipe sounds awesome, too.

The Tecate (DG silencer only) is my favorite to ride. It begs to be ridden hard and be abused and makes you make questionable decisions. Yes, it's less refined than the R. Yes, it's less comfortable and requires more attention than the X to ride. Yes, it's slower the the 450. But, it fits me and it's a riot to ride. It's fun and fast even on the near bald original knobbies. It's FREAKING AWESOME. Except for the stator thing...

I don't think you'll notice much difference between the 84 and 85.
    I like the looks of the 85 with aluminum wheels and silver instead of gold.

Buy the one that runs. And doesn't have rusty fork tubes Hard to find good fork tubes.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by jb2wheels View Post

Buy the one that runs. And doesn't have rusty fork tubes Hard to find good fork tubes.
    Not hard to find good fork tubes. Forking by Frank has been making new tubes for all types of cycles for nearly 50 years....I had gotten a set of tecate forks of him, You will pay but if your into vintage things your gonna pay.

http://franksforks.com/products/kawasaki-fork-tubes/

--
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskool83 View Post
    Not hard to find good fork tubes. Forking by Frank has been making new tubes for all types of cycles for nearly 50 years....I had gotten a set of tecate forks of him, You will pay but if your into vintage things your gonna pay.

http://franksforks.com/products/kawasaki-fork-tubes/
    For some reason I thought Franks's wasn't doing T3 forks. Awesome!

--
    I love my 84 for me it the wildest trike to ride heres a pic with my wife on it she looks better on it than i doClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20190322_223956.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	260441

--
    Quote Originally Posted by puckshot View Post
    I love my 84 for me it the wildest trike to ride heres a pic with my wife on it she looks better on it than i doClick image for larger version. 

Well I haven't seen you, but I'll bet that you're right.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by puckshot View Post

That's one super nice Tecate, and she's a very nice model too!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //