//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Muscle cars

--

Muscle cars

So I’ve decided it’s time I get me a muscle car. Not exactly sure what I’m looking for other that something these shallow pockets can afford (I have a price range) I’m partial to the 60’s but not opposed to something newer. Olds were my car of choice back in the day. I’m partial to the gm 69 year cars. I also like the sguare body cars of the early 60’s
    With that being said what do you all think is one of the most underrated muscle cars of any era? There are many let’s hear your opinions?
    90 nickolson Bored and Stroked "The Good"

Big Bore 110 Pauter frame "The Bad"

90 Bored and Stroked “vey’s frame” "The Ugly"

110 JSC frame Bored and Stroked
    flat track build. “Shop trike”

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

--
    One word.....resto-mod.
    The old motors were great but compared to anything new....they suck donkey.
    Obviously this doesn’t apply to something that’s valued for originality.

For anything GM....as great as the old small blocks were....an LS motor puts them to shame.
    Were I intelligent enough....or wealthy...I’d have a cool old car sporting a well installed late model engine and know I won’t be turning wrenches even half as much.

That Super Bird they did on Graveyard Carz with the Hellcat running gear....hells yes!!!
    Nothing the good ole days had to offer can touch that for performance.

Some people hate new stuff and that’s cool but you asked for opinions.

If we’re dreaming here.....’69 Camaro with an LSX. Looks good. Sounds good. Stand on the pedal watch it get all kinda stupid.
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

--
    The Buick 455 GS cars were very underrated and I'm a Ford guy.

The vintage car market is bonkers right now. 4 door Galaxie's are selling for 6-7k when a few years ago, they were parts cars.

Clean Foxbody Mustangs are going for 10-15k.

I've been keeping up on cars lately and looked at a few the last couple of weeks. Basically if you want a nice rust free driver tastefully modded, you're looking at 15-20k.

I've looked at several 7-10k 60's Fords the last several weeks and they all had issues.

--
    The Plymouth duster, demon, valiant with a wedge 340 and a manual tranny are also underrated. Light in weight stick a 440 in it and it’s a monster. I found a 69 valiant signet with a 340 in it. Although it’s not a manual. I like those square bodies.
    The laguna pushing a 454 is also underrated. By the early 70’s the muscle car era was over but some manufacturers were still trying to push those monster motors in more of the sedan style cars

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by bkm View Post
    The Buick 455 GS cars were very underrated and I'm a Ford guy.

The vintage car market is bonkers right now. 4 door Galaxie's are selling for 6-7k when a few years ago, they were parts cars.

Clean Foxbody Mustangs are going for 10-15k.

I've been keeping up on cars lately and looked at a few the last couple of weeks. Basically if you want a nice rust free driver tastefully modded, you're looking at 15-20k.

I've looked at several 7-10k 60's Fords the last several weeks and they all had issues.
    The GS might be underrated as far as muscle cars go, never really getting it’s respect in the day but the prices now sure don’t reflect that, they are pricey.
    Heck my 65 cutlass with a 330 and a Quadra jet carb and a Muncie 4-speed was underrated. Light in weight I beat my share of Big blocks back in the day. Not worth a darn an the strip but for a street car it held its own.

Plus I’m okay with issues as long as it’s a driver. Good bones and interior are paramount beings that would be a big cost. The motor is affordable doing the work yourself and the options available for replacement

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

--
    I don't think shallow pockets and 69 GM cars go together anymore.

Maybe a wagon, El Camino/Sprint, or more-door.

People either love or hate El Caminos, Sprints, and Rancheros - helps prices.

A 5.0 Ranchero would be fun.

Arky-X is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    I was going to say the Buick GS as well but you're right, those are very desirable right now.
    Heck, I like the early 70s Olds cars. Simple, drive well, and got a little class with a little sport to them too.

This is my mom's 70 Cutlass

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0807.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	260426

--
    Always liked the 70 cutlass...what about a buick grand national or turbo regal? A quick craigslist search tells me those aren't as affordable as they used to be though...
    Suicide Hill Survivor

The rides:
    1981 ATC110
    1982 ATC185
    1983 ATC185s
    1984 ATC200es
    1985 ATC200x

When the going gets tough, the tough get sideways

--
    Arky, your mom's car is gorgeous!

I was a Cutlass junkie 68-72.

They were more affordable in the 80s and 90s than alot of other muscle cars and I liked the 350 rocket and 455 Olds although it had little aftermarket support.

Everyone wanted Camaro/Chevelle/1st Gen Nova/Chevy II as far as GM was concerned. I always thought the Olds/Buick/Pontiacs were all underrated

My roomie had a '71 Buick GS and I was driving a '69 LeMans at the time and we would 'wife swap' our cars sometimes up until the local sheriff picked him up for racing my LeMans against a Chevelle on a four lane state highway. Bryan is right, the GS 455 was a beast and had full electric interior, iirc. It was like a gentleman's muscle car. Rear was geared .308 so it would absolutely slam you against the seat when you hit the gas.

My first was when I was 17 or 18. I bought a '66 Chevelle with no drive train and I dropped a 327/350 in it back when they were plentiful in every junkyard in America.

My list:
    '66 Chevelle
    70 Nova
    69 LeMans
    (2) '70 notchback Cutlass's
    71 fastback Cutlass
    72 fastback Cutlass
    69 Dodge Charger
    68 Plymouth GTX
    71 Camaro (with a hacksaw split bumper lol)

I don't count these as a muscle car because it was after 73, but I had a 78 or 79 Firebird Formula 455 and a regular 78 Firebird that I put an olds 350 in. I also owned a 77 280Z when I lived in St Pete. That car was crazy fast and I raced it across the bridge to Tampa, regularly.

There were some 69-72 Chevy trucks and a 68 Ford truck sprinkled in there too

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ironchop; 10-25-2019 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Arky

--
    As far as Underrated......
    I have always liked the AMC's Javelin / AMX / Rebels.
    The Mercury Cyclone's are kick ass as well.

But with that being said....I've always been a Big Block Chevy fan. It's a Chevelle or nothing.
    * 1978 ATC 90/180 Pauter PJ1 / Springer "Team BAPP" Bike *

* 1980 ATC 110/180 "Danny's Machine Works" 3D Sprint Dune Bike *

* Nicholson 500 Race Bike *

* HPATC Yamaha RD350 "Big Moe" Trike *

Arky-X is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Unfortunately, anything that was called a "muscle car" is going to have the "$" to go with it.

As long as you stay away from the specific ones like Judge, GTO, GNX, 442 or those desirable badges, you can start talking reasonable prices for the basic ones from the 60-70s. Probably still looking at $10k minimum for one that you can hop in and drive. I like the Dodge Dart and Plymouth Dusters but I'm seeing those for $10-15k for the base model ones. Probably don't have a V-8 under the hood. Friend had a Chevy Malibu in high school and everyone swore it was a Chevelle. You can go that route by looking for the cheaper or less desirable models from the day.

Chop, I will tell my mom you approve.
    My dad & mom bought that about 10 years ago at an auction. The man owned a car dealership and on some cars he took in on trades he would take to his house for keepers instead of putting them on the used lot. That man passed away and the wife wanted nothing to do with the 5 airplane size hangers full of cars. Nothing of great value but lots of survivors. Last time I checked the odometer it had 22k miles. That car is ALL OLDS (had to replace the water pump, belts, hoses, tires, and ?radiator?)
    Dad liked it because they could drive that one to car cruises and he didn't have to load it on a trailer like the others. Since he passed, it is up to us kids to keep those running.

--
    https://bringatrailer.com/2017/05/14...978-amc-pacer/

I remember seeing this for sale for 6000 a few years ago. Its ugly. It would be a lot of fun, if not a traditional muscle car.
    Suicide Hill Survivor

The rides:
    1981 ATC110
    1982 ATC185
    1983 ATC185s
    1984 ATC200es
    1985 ATC200x

When the going gets tough, the tough get sideways

--
    If you're willing to build something with muscle car lineage, I suggest the GM '75-'79 X-bodies.

They're still available for a song. They are GM, corporate, parts bin cars, which means for the builder, a crap load of interchangeability, and that translates into junk yard upgrades on the cheap.

The Nova, Omega, Phoneix, and Skylark are all essentially the same car, which some year Camaro and Firebird chassis parts fit. They came with Buick, Olds, and Chevrolet engines, I6,V6, and V8, so engine swaps to about anything made those years is bolt in and go. A Olds small block to big block swap is about as easy as it gets, because their small blocks are so large.

The cars are a lot lighter weight than many previous models, so every horsepower made, goes faster.

They even share a chassis design to the '76-'79 Cadillac Seville, which came stock with rear disc brakes. If you find one for a parts car, you'll have a OEM disk brake rear end.

The down side is little to no aftermarket support for things like interior small parts, so you'd want to find one that isn't all ratted out. Same for exterior parts, like tail light assemblies, grills and...bumper fillers. Those bumper fillers can be tossed anyway, and drill, drain, the bumper shocks then compress them until the bumper lines up (mostly), then weld the bled shocks in place.

These were the last of the X body muscle car heritage. The next generation X-bodies went FWD. The Olds Omega had round headlights up until the end in 1979. As things go, once all the previous car prices are out of reach, people move on the next, which will probably have these holding or slightly increasing in value over the next decade.

Internet pictures of Olds Omega.

Name:	1979-omega-1.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	137.0 KB 
ID:	260428

Name:	oldsmobile-omega-1979-9.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	260429
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 83ATC185 View Post
    Always liked the 70 cutlass...what about a buick grand national or turbo regal? A quick craigslist search tells me those aren't as affordable as they used to be though...

The Grand national is a bad arse car and are bringing some pretty good jack these days.

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 83ATC185 View Post
    https://bringatrailer.com/2017/05/14...978-amc-pacer/

I remember seeing this for sale for 6000 a few years ago. Its ugly. It would be a lot of fun, if not a traditional muscle car.
    Hahahaha, that just seems wrong

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //