//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Yes Another New Member SW MICHIGAN

NDD is offline New to the board Arm chair racerNew to the board
    --

Yes Another New Member SW MICHIGAN

Been reading this site for years just now joined slowly improving a 1985 Honda 250 sx next small winter project is new front wheel bearings and a new front tire old tire is actually out of round it can easily seen if the front tire is raised love the machine owned for ten years prior machine (sold long ago) was a 1982 suzuki alt125 it was well worn but my honda is great!

--
    Let me know how removal of the front axle goes. I've heard they can be a nightmare on the SX's. I have to do the front bearings and new tire on mine too.
    1985 Honda ATC 250ES
    1985 Honda ATC 250SX
    1984 Honda ATC 200M
    1983 Honda ATC 200
    1984 Honda ATC 110

--
    I have had the front tire off to do the brakes this summer. I have got several long punches that i hope will help. May try to do tomorrow. The bearings from G&H came in after work Thursday. Today is band practice my other great hobby My Tama drums!!

--
    Finally did front bearings! the axle came out well. I had to basicly destroy the one bearing to get it out. The other bearing drove out easy once I had removed the one destroyed bearing. Used lots of antiseize and grease during reassembly as to make it possible for disassembly if ever needed again. The whole job with me taking my time was about an hour. I am slowly fixing things that have not worked when i bought it. Things fixed so far : new rear tires, electric starter and new battery, front and rear brakes, installed rear light and replaced front bulb with LED, rebuilt carb and new fuel filter, have new oil in rear axle and changed engine and oil filter several times, and new UNI air filter. Needed to do: slow gas leak in tank (may buy plastic tank)front fork seal repair and fork boots and valve clearance adjustment needs new front tire. Overall the trike runs very strong and is a blast to drive!!!

--
    While you're checking bearings, don't forget the steering neck bearings (hold the front brake and bump the throttle in first gear the feel the play, or do it by hand by applying the brake and pulling it forward via the handle bar. Genearlly they can be tightened up, never hurts to regrease them but they don't have a retainer to keep the balls in. A lot of people upgrade to tapered bearings kind of like a wheel bearing for a car.

More bearings to inspect, rear axle bearings, and swing arm bearings. If rear axle bearings are bad, don't forget seals to keep mud/water out of the axle tubes. Also check the rubber boot between the back of the engine and the swing arm, if it gets a hole in it water can get down the the top side of the pinion gear for the rear diff and over time can rust things up.

The only other common issue I can think of for these engines is the kick start one way bearing that goes on the primary clutch. Same bearing is used for engine braking and a sign of it going bad is when you turn the engine off you hear a whirl noise then a clunk or the kick starter slips.

Good luck with the machine, the sx is my 2nd fav 3 wheeler right after the 350x.

--
    I do believe the swing arm bearings have been replaced on my machine. I dont feel any play. Whoever did them covered them with some black colored sealant though. The boot for the drive shaft is intact. I am currently looking to buy the front fork seals and the wipers as well as the boots that cover them (mine are in bad shape). My valves need adjusting still, and the gas tank has several pin holes that weep gas. My intentions are yes to enjoy the machine but slowly repair items that wear and fail. when i get to old to drive it, i want to pass on or sell a serviceable machine! They aren building new ones and i want this to survive! Thank you for the advice. Do you have a suggestion on where to buy the front fork seals. Yes i found them on ebay but i do not know of the quality. I have bought several parts from G&H. I have not found front fork seal kits at there website. I would love to drive a 350X!!!

--
    So did this come with an air filter? I've bought two 85 250SXs and neither one had an air filter (not counting the old gym sock on the first one). Some people seem to think that thee were optional. Batteries don't seem to be there very often either.

--
    Basically none of my machines came with batteries. I've done the sock trick once before, but I was like 15 and wanted to ride still with no money. Orig air filter turned to dust it was so old. Better than nothing, but clearly not as good as having the right thing on it. I used like 4 layers of socks though, way too thin with only 1 layer. If I remember right I did that in winter time too, a lot of old snowmobiles and snow blowers don't even have an air filter. No clue about new stuff, high end I'm sure has a filter, but cheap lower end stuff I'd assume still has no filter.

Honda's are designed well, so generally the voltage regulator/rectifier doesn't burn out from no battery, the story isn't true for all brands though and truly are deigned with the idea a battery is hooked up.

The 350x drives kind of like a 250sx but lighter, better suspension and a lot more power (similar power but a lot more of it). Throw in a 250es diff in the sx and you can get a small taste of what a 350x is like, but you loose out on top speed a lot with that swap and the fact you have to shift so often in faster riding. I really love shaft drive on an atv, so my dream machine is a shaft drive 350x effectively. If I can find a roller frame for a 250sx for a reasonable price I have a TRX350D engine to throw in it and see if I can make it work. Basically that engine is a 250es bottom end and a 350x top end. Never looked into the gearing so a diff swap might be needed to get it in the right gearing range. A "350SX" would be a blast in my mind with some suspension upgrades (200x/350x front end + extended swing arm and better mono shock).

--
    I ended up buying an uni airfilter the original while in place was crumbling the uni fit well was no battery of starter when i got it but those have been purchased and working well had to use a substitute starter solenoid though (rider mower)
    Last edited by NDD; 01-05-2020 at 03:57 PM. Reason: my spelling with fat fingers

--
    My prior machine was a Suzuki alt 125 it was beaten badly came with no airfilter weak compression burned oil badly no 2nd gear zero brakes! I paid 200 for it. Surprisingly started very well even when super cold. I drove the hell out of it kept up on the oil and made an air filter for it. sold it for $225 and used that money and more for the honda I love honda small engines the machines are so well designed I love my 250 and plan on just keeping it stock but giving it good care and maintenance to keep it alive long after im gone!!

--
    Yea the Uni air filters seem to do fine, just don't forget to oil the air filter (check the service manual if you don't know about that).

For the solenoid, they are still available from Honda but not cheap. They are known to last a long time, so might be worth the upgrade in the long run.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/ho...d626c1040ef2a5

For the Suzuki, it's always a good time when you sell a machine for more than you paid for it, and got to use it in the process.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //