//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Seized drum trying to replace rear bearings and remove axle

--

Seized drum trying to replace rear bearings and remove axle

85 ATC 200S had the brake drum seized on. Tried everything and can’t get it off. Decided to start cutting it off. Found a silver nut on the inside of the drum. It’s OD is obviously bigger than the shaft ID. Anyone know of any magic tricks to get the axle out so I can replace the bearings. I’ve used a torch, penetrating oil, ratchet straps, and everything short of just blowing the thing up. Don’t want to ruin the threads on the end of the axle either. Any help? hints?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	2.38 MB 
ID:	260653

--
    That nut appears to be a bubba mod and would have to be covering the axle splines which the drum should slide over. Or is that silver nut part of the original drum construction? I can't say I've ever seen that? I've seen a tool called a nut splitter but have never used one personally. Or, I would think you could zip cut the nut off by running the blade along the axle close to the splines? Once the nut is off you may have more success in driving the axle out after repeated soakings with a quality penetrating fluid such as Kroil or PB Blaster. I look up the schematics for ATC components on a site called Servicehonda.com. Once you drill down to your year and model you'll easily find the parts diagram for the rear brakes/axle assembly.
    Trikes
    1970/71 US 90 (Aquarius Blue)
    1970/71 US 90 (Future Project)
    1972/73 US 90 Camo Project (110 Big Bore)
    1972/73 US 90 Green
    1977 ATC 90 w/83 110 motor (Fugly)
    1982 ATC 70
    1983 ATC 70 (Ladybug)
    1973 ATC 70

1965 Marketeer 3 Wheel Golf Cart with 1986 Honda 250 drivetrain

TF 2015

Other
    1983 Honda Z50
    1978 Honda XL75

Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck-for-coopool
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-coolpool

--
    Your axle is garbage. That nut is not of Honda origin.
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    The but was cast over by the drum. I’m not sure if the original OEM brakes had those internally or if it is some backwoods mod. Still need to get the axle off. Might just have to cut the nut closed to the splines and pound it out.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //