//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum Truck Bodies - Good, Bad or Ugly?

--

Aluminum Truck Bodies - Good, Bad or Ugly?

A friendly debate!
    Am I the only one who thinks the idea of aluminum truck bodies is a bit off? Here's my reasoning:
    1. We have them at work (F-150's) and travel on muddy roads and washboard gravel a lot. These things skitter all over the place compared to the older steel body F-150's. We run around 400#'s of sandbags in the box year round now. We find that the truck shudders when hitting potholes and such instead of absorbing the impacts.
    2. I have to wonder about the towing capacities that are boasted in the ads. The vehicle may have the jam to pull the loads but how is the drivability and control when in crosswinds/slippery conditions when the truck is so light? A co-worker who has a personal one is not impressed with the trucks handling when towing his camper. He feels he's at the mercy of what the trailer wants him to do; tail wagging the dog type of scenario. He prefers to use his early 2000's Chev 1500 to tow, rust and all.
    3. Ever have trouble getting an aluminum rim off a hub with a build up of white powder and corrosion after being subjected to road salt/moisture? I believe it's called metal electrolysis. What are the fasteners on theses vehicles going to look like in 10/15 years where the mating of aluminum/metal happens?
    4. Anyone in the bodywork business? I suspect the idea of replacing pre-painted panels has some value for large repairs, but what about small fender benders that guys like us used to tackle with torches and/or mig welders, those days are over aren't they? And would you replace the whole cab if you dent a cab corner? That would be pricey! I would believe working with aluminum bodies wrt welding/stretching metal would be a bit of an art, no?

And is it just Ford going the aluminum route these days, pretty sure Ram isn't but not sure about GM products.

I'm still flogging a 2006 Ram 3500 w/5.9 Cummins which has already needed bodywork around the rear 1/4's. A bit disappointing but the things pulls like peewee herman in a theatre and doesn't get pushed around by my trailers. I (horribly late) just started getting it rust proofed every other year to extend it's life. To be completely honest I wouldn't have the foggiest idea as to which truck I would replace it with once wore out?

Bring it!
    Last edited by coolpool; 11-16-2019 at 10:20 PM.
    Trikes
    1970/71 US 90 (Aquarius Blue)
    1970/71 US 90 (Future Project)
    1972/73 US 90 Camo Project (110 Big Bore)
    1972/73 US 90 Green
    1977 ATC 90 w/83 110 motor (Fugly)
    1982 ATC 70
    1983 ATC 70 (Ladybug)
    1973 ATC 70

1965 Marketeer 3 Wheel Golf Cart with 1986 Honda 250 drivetrain

TF 2015

Other
    1983 Honda Z50
    1978 Honda XL75

Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck-for-coopool
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-coolpool

--
    When I first heard about Ford using all aluminum bodies, I had some concerns. Mostly from the standpoint that body work would be nearly impossible for the home fix-it guy. Welding on aluminum is usually beyond most home fix-it-ers also and aluminum is less workable for dent repair. I won't buy an aluminum Ford. Although aluminum aircraft have been around a long time and there are plenty of very old aluminum aircraft out there that are still airworthy, I think automobiles take considerable more abuse than aircraft. I guess it still remains to be seen just how successful the aluminum Ford trucks will be. My Ram 1500 has an aluminum hood but that's it. Not exactly a part that has to hold up to anything. Not sure how much weight they save with only the hood made of aluminum. Can't imagine its a tremendous amount. The new Rams have an aluminum tailgate. I hefted one and it is noticeably lighter than mine.

https://www.repairerdrivennews.com/2...some-aluminum/

--
    I just went w ram
    Tailgate is nice (also has soft open option)
    After getting hit w my last tailgate when latch gave out, this is nice

I am not interested in the aluminum fords as of yet. Giving it a few more years

--
    I would think that for a lot of truck driving people and what they don’t use their trucks for this is a good alternative. The quad cab truck was the new mini van a few years ago. For those that use their trucks for truck stuff I’m not sure that aluminum is the right choice. I don’t know about any body repair aspects that you spoke of. I have a steel body truck in the Midwest I could see the benefits of aluminum for the rust aspect of things.
    90 nickolson Bored and Stroked "The Good"

Big Bore 110 Pauter frame "The Bad"

90 Bored and Stroked “vey’s frame” "The Ugly"

110 JSC frame Bored and Stroked
    flat track build. “Shop trike”

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

--
    Not sure if you knew this, but Ford started using aluminum back in 1997 on the hoods of the F150.

You nailed pretty much every potential issue with using aluminum that I am aware of. It is a lot more difficult to bodywork, but modern chemistry has made it possible. Paint doesn’t bold well to aluminum very well without special primers either.

As far as electrolysis between dissimilar metals, sadly nobody cares what happens up in Canada and the northern states. Consider that there are more trucks sold in Texas in a year then there are in all of Canada and you begin to realize why nobody cares how well heaters work or how badly bodies rust in a Canadian environment.

To the best of my knowledge the entire reasoning for using aluminum is to lessen the weight, improve mileage and avoid whatever taxation there is for gas guzzlers in the USA.

I’m not sure how many fasteners there are on these vehicles anymore, most body panels can be put together with adhesive’s that are as strong as any weld and less likely to crack as aluminum is prone to do when it is subject to repeated vibration, this is known as work hardening and it is a big problem with aluminum, which is why airplanes are riveted together and not welded.

Personally I wish they would make all the body panels out of plastic, it would be light, easy to replace, and shopping carts wouldn’t phase the panels. You may recall that Buick Park Avenue’s had plastic front fenders back in the 90s, not sure what other cars may have had them. Stepside Ford F150s were also a plastic composite from 1997 to 2003
    Last edited by El Camexican; 11-16-2019 at 10:50 PM.

--
    3deep: I suspect you're right, aircraft are usually pampered (for good reason) and operate in a cleaner environment. And the non-corrosive de-icing chemicals used on the runways would be cost prohibitive for roadway use. Interesting article you attached, I'm way behind in how trucks have progressed!
    Plastik: I think I would lean toward a Ram again; although I cringe at the thought of putting horse piss (DEF Fluid) in it at regular intervals. And I'll be dammed if I buy a truck for 80K and have to pay to get all the emission stuff deleted.
    Dam: I think you're right on the money, most trucks are more at home in the Walmart parking lot than actually used for it's intended purpose. And I wish the steel bodies had the same rust resistant properties as aluminum but that's obviously not the case.
    Another thing I learned in the quest for more mileage from Ford is the F-150 calls for 55psi in the tires; jeez it's a half ton! I think I run 60-80 in my 1 ton single rear wheel truck.
    Trikes
    1972/73 US 90 Green
    1982 ATC 70
    1983 ATC 70 (Ladybug)
    1973 ATC 70

TF 2015

Other
    1983 Honda Z50
    1978 Honda XL75

--
    I can’t believe shaving a few hundred pounds using aluminum makes that much improvement in fuel mileage. I’m pretty sure that’s their reasoning. Chevy/ford have been trying to figure out better fuel mileage for years. Heck, Dodge don’t care it’s the Hemi or nothing for most of their trucks.
    Does anyone know the fuel range on the f150 aluminum/ eco tech motor?

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by DAM shop View Post
    I can’t believe shaving a few hundred pounds using aluminum makes that much improvement in fuel mileage. I’m pretty sure that’s their reasoning. Chevy/ford have been trying to figure out better fuel mileage for years. Heck, Dodge don’t care it’s the Hemi or nothing for most of their trucks.
    Does anyone know the fuel range on the f150 aluminum/ eco tech motor?
    My F150 EcoBoost is a 2014 and the last year for steel. The aluminum trucks were 700 lbs lighter in 2015 and might be more now?

--
    As far as mileage on the new Fords go with the EcoBoost, when we fill one up (130+litres) the Distance to Empty (aka lie-o-meter) ranges past 999km. They do seem to get great mileage until you, a) tow, or b) add larger tires/lift.

Just so everyone is clear, this isn't a Ford hater thread, lol. The trucks we use for work are quite dependable and rarely need work up to when we sell them off at 140,000 kms.
    Trikes
    1972/73 US 90 Green
    1982 ATC 70
    1983 ATC 70 (Ladybug)
    1973 ATC 70

TF 2015

Other
    1983 Honda Z50
    1978 Honda XL75

--
    Personally I wish they would make all the body panels out of plastic, it would be light, easy to replace, and shopping carts wouldn’t phase the panels. You may recall that Buick Park Avenue’s had plastic front fenders back in the 90s, not sure what other cars may have had them. Stepside Ford F150s were also a plastic composite from 1997 to 2003[/QUOTE]

There are several examples of cars that have plastic bodies or large areas of plastic. Way back in the 80's the Fiero had an all plastic body, Saturns were plastic also, my son's Ford Sport Trac had a plastic bed and quarter panels, Toyota Tacoma has plastic bed...Those are a few off the top of my head. They seem to hold up to normal use. Anyone have good or negative experience or opinions with plastic? I'm not an extremist environmentalist but at least metal is recyclable. Plastic recycling has hit some snags recently.

--
    Holy cow! coolpool I had to get my conversion calculator out to figure out the liters and Kms.

Quote Originally Posted by coolpool View Post
    As far as mileage on the new Fords go with the EcoBoost, when we fill one up (130+litres) the Distance to Empty (aka lie-o-meter) ranges past 999km. They do seem to get great mileage until you, a) tow, or b) add larger tires/lift.

Just so everyone is clear, this isn't a Ford hater thread, lol. The trucks we use for work are quite dependable and rarely need work up to when we sell them off at 140,000 kms.

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Deep View Post
    Personally I wish they would make all the body panels out of plastic, it would be light, easy to replace, and shopping carts wouldn’t phase the panels. You may recall that Buick Park Avenue’s had plastic front fenders back in the 90s, not sure what other cars may have had them. Stepside Ford F150s were also a plastic composite from 1997 to 2003
    There are several examples of cars that have plastic bodies or large areas of plastic. Way back in the 80's the Fiero had an all plastic body, Saturns were plastic also, my son's Ford Sport Trac had a plastic bed and quarter panels, Toyota Tacoma has plastic bed...Those are a few off the top of my head. They seem to hold up to normal use. Anyone have good or negative experience or opinions with plastic? I'm not an extremist environmentalist but at least metal is recyclable. Plastic recycling has hit some snags recently.[/QUOTE]

The only negatives I recall are that the plastic on the Park Lane cracked on impact at freezing temperatures and the Fieros burned almost as fast as a Corvette when they ignited.

As far as recycling plastic goes, that’s a whole different ball of wax. I don’t understand what ALL plastic isn’t recyclable. Seems stupid not to be and I wish plastic bottles had a $1.00 deposit fee on them as well. Just fill a garbage bag today picking up in fron of a property. Some people are PIGS!!!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by coolpool View Post
    They do seem to get great mileage until you, a) tow, or b) add larger tires/lift.
    For some reason the EcoBoost is the only truck that gets criticized for this, yet this principle holds true for every single vehicle ever made.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by bkm View Post
    For some reason the EcoBoost is the only truck that gets criticized for this, yet this principle holds true for every single vehicle ever made.

Maybe because something like a 3/4 Ton Chevy with a 454 always gets terrible mileage, towing or not, whereas the EcoBoost gets good fuel economy, until the real truck use reality kicks in.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post
    Maybe because something like a 3/4 Ton Chevy with a 454 always gets terrible mileage, towing or not, whereas the EcoBoost gets good fuel economy, until the real truck use reality kicks in.
    What people don't realize is when you're just cruising at 60 mph unloaded, it gets v6 fuel economy, but you're in the boost when towing or driving it like a race car, so naturally it's going to eat. My EcoBoost still gets almost double the mileage towing as my 2010 5.4 and it has twice the power. Compared to my old truck, it's it's like the 1927 Murders Row Yankees playing the 1969 Mets.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //