//ArrowChat Code

Thread: I've got an unusual and interesting Honda ATC 110 camshaft question...

--

I've got an unusual and interesting Honda ATC 110 camshaft question...

First post to this forum but I've lurked here for years. Here's my question:

In the mid-late eighties a high school friend of mine who had a large misc. collection of ATC's and general off-road bikes created
    something special. He began with a beat up Honda ATC 110 and an unknown (unremembered) donor bike. My 30+ year old memory
    is that the donor bike was a Kawasaki 185 ATC or perhaps a Suzuki ATC in a similar cc range. Having disassembled the donor bike he
    found that the camshaft for it and the Honda ATC 110 was very similar in shape. The bearing surface was the same size and if memory
    serves (I did this same mod 10 years later) the main difference was the timing snout was shorter and needed to be notched for the CDI
    pulse generator to lock in place. However, the cam lobes were so much bigger that the cam journal on the head itself had to be notched
    out (on the "top" end of the motor to allow the oil pressure to lube on the bottom where the chain would pull tension) and the cam would
    need to be clocked around as it was inserted. This was obviously not an ideal situation but, as I said, this was an old beater and back before
    the days of Ebay and easily had performance parts. With this mod, even without any carb changes, this monster would barley idle and loped
    like a race car. Years later, I myself did this mod to a an old 110 that had lost all gears but 1st (plus high and low range). It was such a
    dramatic increase in power that high gear easily popped wheelies. Loads of fun. Mine ran great for several years but, as it happens, I lost
    interest and traded it off. Having just talked to my friend again recently, his memory is no better. General searches on Ebay and the like
    for the correct cam have proven fruitless. If any of you happen to know the Kawasaki models or the Suzuki models well enough to compare
    the camshafts I'd love to do this mod again for my kids. For now, it's just a fish story. Please advise ---Mohgarr

--
    Sounds like Damon is back lol .
    Only Honda uses a pulser and advancer at the camshaft , Yamaha , Kawasaki and Suzuki do not , they all pulse at the crankshaft .
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    Thanks for the info @shortline10. I actually know a major gear-head named Damon He's a Texan, like me.

As I mentioned, the snout that the timing components rode on was short or just a nub. I can't remember the details on what went in to modding
    the CDI unit but it wasn't too radical I should think. I'm 95 percent that it was not a Honda part. Our memories seem to agree on Kawasaki. The KLR200
    looks similar but I can't put my hands on a picture. Anyway. Thanks for the input. If I get it again I'll send some pics in as proof

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //