//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Kx250 motor into a tecate 3

vroomy is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --

Kx250 motor into a tecate 3

Has anyobe here successfully fitted a late model kx250 motor into a tecate 3? Either 85 or the newer 86. Got an 86 atc250r frame i wanted to put a cr motor in but the whole forward kickstart thing, hence lookibg at the tecate idea

--
    I know Tecates shared the same engine as the KX 250s back in the day, but if you're talking about more recent KX's I can't say. I haven't seen it done. I know people have put modern YZ engines in the Tri-Z. I would think the KX engine could be done, it just depends how much fabrication you're willing to do.

--
    Someone on these boards swapped a newer KDX engine into an '85 Tecate a few years back, if I'm not mistaken.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    Yeah im looking into doing a 99+ kx motor into an 85 tecate. So far the biggest hurdle seems to be the down tube on the frame will be right in front of the exhaust port? Will obviously need to fab in a Y piece.

--

--
    Hello vroomy, alexandros here in Greece did it many years ago but with an 86 tecate frame. So it can be done but your biggest issue is as you said the cradle at the 85 frame will be in the middle of your exhaust so you will have to make it U like the 86.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ght=Alexandros
    Last edited by Antreas Sp; 12-02-2019 at 04:30 AM.

--
    I don't know jack about a tecate (other than they look awesome) I did own a KX250, and all I tell you is they run like a bat outta hell, I miss that bike for sure.
    Good luck, nothing a welder and a die grinder cant fix.

MrC.

--
    No dirtbike motors had counter balancers but 4 strokes. With out it your gonna vibrate your hands bad. It will turn into a conversational item for your she shed vs a machine your gonna go ride 6 hours on sunday. This is my only warning.

Just build an 85 tecate motor or blow in a 4 stroke. You will have somthing you can enjoy more then looking at it.

--
    Im pretty sure none of the tecate motors had counter balancers anyway, so shouldn't be any different?

--
    I know i had tighten evey bolt after a day of riding on my 87, thats if they didnt already fall out lol

--
    if thats your idea of fun then go for it. I'd rather see a LT250r motor in one. Its been done a few times. If your a yard rider then it wont matter.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by vroomy View Post
    Im pretty sure none of the tecate motors had counter balancers anyway, so shouldn't be any different?
    Exactly! Only the Tecate 4 motor's had a counter-balancer.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    "Yard rider" haha. Why would i want more power if i was a yard rider? If thats where i was going to ride i would stick an lt250 motor in because they are so tame

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskool83 View Post
    No dirtbike motors had counter balancers but 4 strokes. With out it your gonna vibrate your hands bad. It will turn into a conversational item for your she shed vs a machine your gonna go ride 6 hours on sunday. This is my only warning.

Just build an 85 tecate motor or blow in a 4 stroke. You will have somthing you can enjoy more then looking at it.
    Some things never change! Old Stool fails again! The Tecates didn't have a counter balance brand new from the factory!
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    You might find more info in here:
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ap-Interchange

There used to be a picture of a LT250R motor in a tecate frame in there....
    86 T3
    84 T3
    86 KX250

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //