//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Bringing the 86 back to life!

--

Bringing the 86 back to life!

What started as a clutch cover gasket replacement has now turned into a full fledged restoration project. Whilst tearing the bike down to pull the engine, I found too many things in need of desperate attention. My conscience was ransacked with regret, shame and self disappointment from allowing my baby to get to such a state. She has been nearly trouble free for me since I first got her in 1996 and I let her bolts rattle loose, her gaskets leak, her sprockets shark fin and her plastics fade.

This lead me on a trip to Auto Zone for chemicals, O'reilly for a tool, Partzilla and RM ATV/MC for a few final parts I needed and lastly to Harbor Freight for a blasting cabinet, glass media and a new air compressor. I have been planning this complete restore for 3 years. Compiling parts, researching mods, planning, etc. I guess it's destined to start ahead of schedule.

The engine is fresh (maybe 15 hours), so no need to do anything there. But I still want to blast and polish it. That can wait. I have already finished blasting the axle, jam nut, all 4 hubs, a bit of the hardware and am in the middle of the swing arm. Some genius Krylon canned it red...then blue some time later. Best (worst) part is, they didn't even prep it. Just painted straight over the factory gold, then right over the red. It was atrocious. It brushed right off with a touch of brake cleaner. Then with the axle, I rode it through the water in Pismo Beach when I was like 17 without rinsing it afterwards. It looked as bad as you would expect.

The only mods left on my list are wider foot pegs, Magura hydraulic clutch conversion, stainless brake lines and Race Tech re-spring with gold valves all around. I've already replaced the twist throttle, bars, light/run controls, clutch plates/basket, water pump, pipe and silencer. I have a new front wheel and tire, fork boots, all bearings and seals front and rear, new swing arm bolt and nut, chain rollers, chain slider, sprockets...you get the idea. Enough parts to cover my dining room table. Hopefully updates to come regularly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	enigne.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	2.83 MB 
ID:	260839Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mid-blasting.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	260840Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pre-blasting.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	2.73 MB 
ID:	260841Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cleaned.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	2.88 MB 
ID:	260842Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carcass.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	954.6 KB 
ID:	260843Click image for larger version. 

Name:	compressor.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	260844Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cabinet.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	301.8 KB 
ID:	260845
    Last edited by Hedbngr18; 11-27-2019 at 02:14 PM.

--
    Where'd that engine stand come from....or did you make it?
    That's ready right there! Beats flopping around on the bench.
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

--
    I bought it on Amazon. The only problem is that the rear bolt that comes with it is too thick for the 3rd Gen R engine. I had to exchange it with some all thread, T-nuts, washers and regular nuts. It's definitely a nice change from straight on the work bench. Highly recommend picking one up. They aren't expensive.
    Last edited by Hedbngr18; 01-03-2020 at 06:56 PM.

--
    That is a slick stand, I have something similar for 90 motors but it doesn't rotate like that. Looks like you off to a good start, looking forward to watching you progress.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    1985 250r
    1985 200s
    1984 200x
    bandito x2
    1979 atc70
    Trikefest 2012,13,14,15

--
    Good on you for giving her some needed attention. No worse feeling a guy gets from using and abusing his trike then not giving it some much needed love in return.
    1985 Honda ATC 250ES
    1985 Honda ATC 250SX
    1984 Honda ATC 200M
    1983 Honda ATC 200
    1984 Honda ATC 110

--
    Small update. I got the trike completely torn down. Parts are officially in bins on my shelves and I can finally park in my garage again. Thank goodness too, cause we actually had real rain in So Cal last week. That darn swing arm just about did me in. 3 layers of paint and a layer of primer. It took me over 4 hours of active blasting time to clean up. But it's over with now. The rest of the parts are nice and round. No more angles or crevices to deal with.

I bought myself a blind bearing puller set to start yanking bearings from suspension, steering head, rear carrier and front hub. That's next. Then the frame/swing arm will be out for powder coat. Did I read correctly on here that the Eastwood gold powder is really close to the factory Honda swing arm color? I was glancing around last week when I was thinking of just priming/painting and ran across a few older threads that mentioned it. No rush to find out. The coating is being done by my cousin's close friend that just throws it in with his larger orders and my money for the project is all used up for the next 6 weeks anyhow. But, at least I am nearing the downhill side of the project. Cleaning and disassembly are always the least fun (especially the swing arm pivot bolt). I know it will all be worth it in the end. Hope you all had a good Thanksgiving!

--
    Another update. Engine is back together. Decided now is a better time than ever to seal up the holes and bead blast it as a complete unit. Frame and swing arm are ready to go out for P/C. Just need to pull a few bearings, do a bit more blasting on small parts...etc. I then have to sit down and decide which parts I want to polish. I would rather not drag this thing out for 2 years making everything look like a mirror. So hopefully in the next few weeks I can put some pics up.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //