//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New and First Time 3 Wheeler Owner - Yamaha 225DX

--

New and First Time 3 Wheeler Owner - Yamaha 225DX

I picked up a 1984 variant for $375. Pictures are below. I need some parts and looking for the “where do you get them” too.

1. I need a carb rebuild kit
    2. Foam element for the filter
    3. Screws for the air box
    4. Grips for the handle bars

https://imgur.com/a/DeSqgpz

--
    Man that's in fantastic shape! I can't answer any of those questions but someone else will soon... Until then I uploaded your pics here for easier viewing

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    For 1, 2, and 4, I would suggest Ebay. You will need to buy a carb rebuild kit for a Timberwolf. For 3, they are available on Partzilla for $.85 each if you mean the screws that hold the access door onto the air box. I would also suggest Ebay for a #5-where can I get some decent rear tires for this? Those tires are hard and don't get very good traction. They are also known for leaking air out through the tires. Most of us on here ditch those tires as quickly as we can.

--
    I never heard the trail pros having a leaking air issue. My uncle had a set of them on his 85 or 86 Honda TRX125 and that thing went everywhere, mud, snow, upside down, you name it. Eventually the spines in the hub gave out and he drove it with only 1 wheel spinning for a few months before he welded the hub on. He had that machine 15+ years with the same set of tires on it. They are very stiff and heavy, but longevity they last forever. The only way I've ever seen a set worn out is from people driving on the road a lot.

I'd rather have trail pros instead of these.... I have like 4 or 5 sets of them anyone want to trade xD. Horrible tire for a 3 wheeler unless it's under powered or you never slide the rear end around. The one machine with the odd ball tires I got the tires super cheap new $100 for the set so couldn't pass them up, machine came with OEM tires dry rotted to death.

As for parts, I always check a dealership site like partzilla.com if it's in production yet, if not jump to ebay. If you have the room, it never hurts buying a 2nd machine for parts and is generally the most cost effective way to stock pile parts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0231.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	273.4 KB 
ID:	260889   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0761.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	230.0 KB 
ID:	260891   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0222.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	270.2 KB 
ID:	260892  

--
    Very nice 225dx you have there! I love mine, they ride like a Cadillac on the trail. I recently put some these tires on mine and they work awesome... They're kind of wide and grab everything on the trail... Would highly recommend them.
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F202031657640

Sent from my 5032W using Tapatalk
    1985 Yamaha 225DRN w/OEM headlight guard, footboards, front rack, rear rack, work light, brush guards and trailer hitch

--
    I turned the google machine on. But I can’t find a good “how-to” on changing oil. I had a KLR650. Is there a oil filter behind the side case.

--
    Looks like it has an oil screen like the 200 series Honda engines. Here's a pic from a Clymer manual, pretty generic info, doesn't even say DX on the YTM225 model. I prefer the OEM supplied manuals, but this should be an accurate photo of where it's located... I think?

https://i.gyazo.com/15cf98b737cc9834...f91351789e.jpg

You can get a copy of the manual from the link below. Just look for the 225 as the link doesn't mention DX either.

http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

maxdallasfan is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    It has an oil screen and spring. You will curse a few times trying to get them back in while screwing on the cover plate.
    My ride:
    1985 Honda 250es

--
    Well I’ve got a lot done. The carb is rebuilt, new petcock is on, new shaft boot is on, all of parts sand blasted and painted, tires installed, I had to straighten the axle with a press and now it’s running. Ordered some new handlebars. Just have to clean up some wiring and it’s ready to ride.

Any pictures of how the fuel line is routed from the tank and the carb?

--

--
    Well it’s running on the tank, have some fuel issues I think it’s the float not set correctly. I drove it too. I’m needing this screw. I’m not able to find it anywhere.

https://i.imgur.com/BlNyjF8.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/xxMrr41.mp4

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Halligan86 View Post
    I’m needing this screw. I’m not able to find it anywhere.
    I think it's number 26 in this parts fiche. Looks like Babbitt's has one in stock, too.

Are you walking around the garage in your socks? My wife hates when I do that or walk around the yard in my socks

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Did two test runs. My first run was short lived with some fuel issues. We took the carb apart knowing the float bowl wasn’t adjusted tonight. The screw that goes into the “plate” (as labeled in parts diagrams) was loose. We adjusted the floor bowl and tested the fuel level based on the manual. Adjusted the idle and ripped around the yard. It seems to lose fuel after riding it then down shifting into first. If you let it sit for about 30 secs to a minute start it and off you go. Any ideas here? I also don’t think the choke is working well either. It’s hard to start from a cold start.

What she doesn’t know about my the socks the better hahah.

--
    If the carb is running out of fuel while riding it somewhat hard, it might suggest a fuel delivery issue. Swollen up fuel line, weak fuel pump (if it has one), screen in tank/inline filter getting plugged, etc.

For the choke, it could just be the passage in the carb is plugged for the choke system and it needs more cleaning (remove all jets and be sure to run a wire or something down all the holes, or be sure to spray carb clean and see it come out at another location). I've had situations where passages were clear, but restricted, and had to run a numbered drill bit down the passage to extract the junk out with out making the hole any bigger (twisting by hand). You could also look into soaking the carb in a cleaner then blowing all the passages out.

I don't know a whole lot about this machine, so kind of just giving general advice.

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Make sure your gas cap is venting properly. Next time it starts to die out, loosen the gas cap and see if the machine picks back up.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //