//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Best rear shock upgrade 85 tecate

vroomy is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --

Best rear shock upgrade 85 tecate

What is the best rear shock upgrade you can do on an 85 tecate? Im not after a budget option, im after performance for MX, jumps etc

--
    so im going to run the 86/87 rear setup, question now is who makes a good shock still for these? PEP, Axis ??

--
    I’m a Penske guy but they’re relatively close to me. Nothings wrong with PEP and from what I understand Works shocks is back to taking orders. Nothing down under? Are there vendors closer to home?

--
    Nah no one over here, shops just order from US. So axis have new shocks to fit a tecate?

--
    660r shocks have been used. Get your eye to eye lenght very close, works shock old website use to give the distances, the new site might have that application chart up also
    I have it saved on a flash drive. Set it up for new machines specs and rider weight. If you need help I've used a guy many times who has built shocks for me different swaps. Below are a few of the shocks hes done for me. Next shock I am having done is an OEM warrior 350 shock on a modified blaster swinger. I kept the same angle as blaster and relocated swinger mount to mate up with where the warrior shock stopped. Do not expect to just bolt a shock up and think it's an upgrade because it's not unless it's dialed in. Most newer shocks are over sprung (meaning a very stiff weighted spring) and under valved (internals for dampening / rebound depending what shock techonogly is used)

You can make anything feel like the michelin man. If you need one of my 2 shock builters PM me.

OEM Rear shock - raptor had built for weight and riding style +4.5 swinger
    OEM Front YFZ450 shocks off a bill ballance machine - resprung/ and valved added dual rate springs
    OEM Front KFX450r shocks put on a kfx700 dual rated springs added valving and resprung
    OEM Rear KFX700 shock resprung and valved
    OEM 83 atc250r shock revalved for a 200x with + 1.5 swinger

You get the idea. A good set of shocks do not need to be elkas or PEP, they can be OEM and built up nice. Any cycle shop can serivced too. Somthing people seem to forget and get scared about.

--
    When ordering a Custom shock you order it to spec:
    Eye to eye length...stock is set to stock size tires.
    Application: MX only running 18” rears add length to keep set height add travel.
    Weight for Springs and valves plus oil weight: Feel is important
    All this info your host builders will provide an exact/or very close with a few clicks

As far as rear shocks go it’s night and day from stock to Custom
    RaceTech fork gold valves, progressive springs...great add bits.
    I suggest testing fork oil weights as well if racing’s the end goal.

--
    86 T3
    84 T3
    86 KX250

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //